KyKy

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
True_Blue

KyKy

Postby True_Blue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:05 pm

I remember the YouTube of him dunking on a 7 footer.
I guess we now know that is not indicative of D1 success.

Perhaps it is Steele's fault. Regardless, he is gone.

Where do we think he will land?
skyhops

Re: KyKy

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 pm

This one is on Steele.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:31 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:22 pm
This one is on Steele.
Its possible.
But could Steele keep the next Michael Jordan off the court?

Where does he land then? Duke, UK, Gonzaga, Villanova?
Or NKU
Lol
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 pm

He was on the BE all fresh team and one of our best players earlier in the year and suddenly he can’t find the court? Scorers like Tandy don’t grow on trees. Steele is in over his head
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Donnie James dropped 32 points this weekend and is averaging 18.5 this season. I’m sure he could have helped this year of given the opportunity although Carter’s 0 and 2 might be hard to duplicate.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 am

skyhops wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 pm
Donnie James dropped 32 points this weekend and is averaging 18.5 this season. I’m sure he could have helped this year of given the opportunity although Carter’s 0 and 2 might be hard to duplicate.
I am sure had James scored 32 points against Lipscomb while at Xavier you might have said that was against inferior non BE talent. I am glad to see he has had success at Jacksonville but their record is 10-12 (4-8, good for 8th place in 9 team A-Sun conference) so while James has had individual success, it has not translated into helping his team win many games to give them a plus .500 success. BTW would he be your center with 4.4 rebounds on average a game in the Atlantic Sun Conference? Yes, James has found a place he can have success in the Atlantic Sun Conference and I am happy for him and only wish he had played as well for X because I am sure he would have taken minutes away from Tyrice ;) ;) ;)

If a bench player can not get playing time you might look first to their work ethic, then their talent level because no coach would sit a player that can help the team win, whether it is by scoring, rebounding, or being the glue that holds the team together to make them winners. I am sure coach hopes that his player can do more than one of these attributes. This is not the NBA where you keep and play players that are making the big bucks with the guaranteed contracts.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:54 pm

Let’s be honest James never really got a change to show us what he can do. I don’t think right now that Carter could score 32 in my rec league, no confidence whatsoever. James could have been an asset and Steele has had a reputation for running players out in his 2 1/2 years and add Tandy to that list. Inexcusable
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:15 pm

these dudes dug their own graves. they couldn't compete and beat other dudes out in practice to earn the minutes to show they belonged. James was a different story than Tandy. he was supposedly able to be a stretch 4 but i can't remember him even making a 3 for us.

Tandy, on the other hand, couldn't find a way to ADJUST his game. that's not the sign of a GREAT player. GREAT players can thrive in ANY system, no matter what. Tandy obviously could NOT adjust, no matter how many meetings with Steele, how many times in practice Steele said "you need to do X X Y Z to get on the court", he couldn't figure it out. yes, he can score, but he couldn't even do that this season when he got limited minutes, albeit that 4 minute stretch where he hit 2 3's which apparently on this board makes him worthy of 30 minutes a game.

I wish Tandy the best and had really hoped he would have found a way to adjust his game into Xavier's system/style of play, but he hasn't been able to do it. I'm sorry, but as a coach, you can't continually play a guy or put him out there when he's just going to do things HIS way and not the XAVIER way.

if we were below .500, losing games, etc, I'd say you have a legit beef. But this team is a WINNING team. Tandy has no one to blame but himself.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:08 pm

What is the Xavier way? I think the Xavier way is making the tournament and continuing to develop player, which has not been Steeles strength. Tandy was one of our biggest recruits and probably our best player in the first part of the season, but suddenly he is better off on another team? Kunkel doesn't really play much defense and Freemantle plays none. James could have easily seen time last year and sometimes players develop late, Bishop same thing. This team is going to be in trouble next year with Scruggs and Johnson leaving as well as thin in the frontcourt. Based on what I have seen from St Johns yesterday I don't see us winning particularly the way the defend. Steele fell into Hurleys trap and we decided to let Zach shoot 26 times which is a recipe for a loss.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:35 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:08 pm
What is the Xavier way? I think the Xavier way is making the tournament and continuing to develop player, which has not been Steeles strength. Tandy was one of our biggest recruits and probably our best player in the first part of the season, but suddenly he is better off on another team? Kunkel doesn't really play much defense and Freemantle plays none. James could have easily seen time last year and sometimes players develop late, Bishop same thing. This team is going to be in trouble next year with Scruggs and Johnson leaving as well as thin in the frontcourt. Based on what I have seen from St Johns yesterday I don't see us winning particularly the way the defend. Steele fell into Hurleys trap and we decided to let Zach shoot 26 times which is a recipe for a loss.
Spot on. I said it in a prior thread, Kyky isn't dumb. He sees the defense that his teammates are playing and wondering why he is the guy buried on the bench. I'd be pissed too.

I don't care if we are "thin" upfront. You have to be consistent and hold players to the same standards or players will see right through it. Kyky has.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”