Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: KyKy

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:44 pm

Amen Sweet, amen..
Hnoz

Postby Hnoz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 pm

He is still on goxavier.com and I haven’t seen anything on any website !!
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:07 pm

This happens at all schools. Look at DUKE - Jalen Johnson was a five star recruit and a projected as a one and done. Well, he just opted out for the rest of the and will apply for the NBA draft. I did like Tandy but he could not GUARD a telephone poll. As so0n as Kunkel became eligible Tandy had competition and he just did win out. there is only 200 minutes to go around and apparently he did not rise to the occasion. But, with all that said I will still miss him. Go Xavier!
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:07 pm
This happens at all schools. Look at DUKE - Jalen Johnson was a five star recruit and a projected as a one and done. Well, he just opted out for the rest of the and will apply for the NBA draft. I did like Tandy but he could not GUARD a telephone poll. As so0n as Kunkel became eligible Tandy had competition and he just did win out. there is only 200 minutes to go around and apparently he did not rise to the occasion. But, with all that said I will still miss him. Go Xavier!
Nonsense. Room for a shooter on any team in the history of the game.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:06 am

Generally I defer to a Coach in these situations. No one has a greater incentive to win than a Head Coach and the Staff.

For those who have ever Coached a CYO, a JV or even competitive Grammar School Team there are those in the stands that think a certain player should be on the court. Maybe that players appears to be able to score, but brings many other minuses to the floor, practice or elsewhere that you, on the Coaching Staff take into consideration.

I like KyKy and wish he was in the line-up succeeding. He has significant talent, but he is not seeing the court. I do not profess to know what Coach Steele knows.

Oh, and if you disagree, think about your own workplace. Often staff may wonder about personnel decisions. Yet, you may know additional details and out of respect do not divulge those details which went into a decision.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:07 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:06 am
Generally I defer to a Coach in these situations. No one has a greater incentive to win than a Head Coach and the Staff.

For those who have ever Coached a CYO, a JV or even competitive Grammar School Team there are those in the stands that think a certain player should be on the court. Maybe that players appears to be able to score, but brings many other minuses to the floor, practice or elsewhere that you, on the Coaching Staff take into consideration.

I like KyKy and wish he was in the line-up succeeding. He has significant talent, but he is not seeing the court. I do not profess to know what Coach Steele knows.

Oh, and if you disagree, think about your own workplace. Often staff may wonder about personnel decisions. Yet, you may know additional details and out of respect do not divulge those details which went into a decision.
I fully subscribe to this theory...when I believe in the coach. Right now, it is very challenging to give the benefit of the doubt to Steele. It is clear he struggles with the x’s & o’s and game related personnel management so its hard for me to think he has a hidden leadership talent waiting to show its bloom to the general public.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:20 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:06 am

You make a good point and I don't like to think of myself as that guy, in the stands, who thinks he knows more than the coach. Most of us know far, far less than the coach. This year, for example, we get a few very occasional glimpses on television and that, along with an on-line article (or two) and these boards, is the sum total of our knowledge. So, before I call for Steele's scalp, I'm going to see how the rest of the season develops. I hope we have a clearer picture then.

That said, like JesseandRippers, I question some of our coach's decisions, specifically game management. I'm no coach.....just a fan. I'm an amateur at this. I remind myself how much more talent Steele has attracted to this year's team vs. the last two years. Still, it seems like we are not playing to our potential. I wonder why we see so much of some players (like Carter) and so little of others (like Tandy). I get the argument about Tandy's defense but ZFree is equally mystified on that side of the floor. And, for those who say Tandy hasn't shown anything, I say he hasn't played. So, how could he show us anything? If we are going to lose him, I'd like to feel that Tandy received a fair shot. Unlike some of the other players who transferred out, Tandy actually showed us something last year an early this season.

Today, I'm still in the camp of Steele knows best. I hope he is maturing as a coach in the same manner as other coaches some of Steele's supporters have identified. He's still young.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:34 am

Agree 100% with Jesse, I don't think Steele has done enough with player development, etc. to earn our trust (that's a problem in year three). I think Coach K will probably get the benefit of the doubt with the reason player.
JGS

Postby JGS » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 am

So, is Ky Ky transferring or not? Anybody know? Last knight on Steele's radio show, he talked about him and said nothing about him leaving.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:32 am

The KyKy Tandy situation sort of reminds me of when Charlie Weis was coaching Notre Dame. They finished 2009 6 - 6 and were 16 -21 for the last 3 years. I asked a friend, who played for ND, how could a team go 16 - 21 while having a top 5 recruiting class year after year. His answer, player development, they're not learning anything when they get there. There may be other reasons why Tandy doesn't play, but if defense is the reason, that's a joke. X just gave up 80 points to a team ranked 285 in scoring. Player development and in-game coaching are not TS strengths.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”