I remember it well

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

Re: I remember it well

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:44 pm

O J T huh? I got a lot of that in the Army.
Alpalpa

Postby Alpalpa » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:38 pm

As did I. 11-Charlie, heavy mortars 69-71. Screw up a play call in the FDC and people don’t come home. Keeps all this so easily in perspective as a game...which is going to be followed by another...and another...and another. Year after year while I’m here. And the bitter just makes the sweet sweeter.
OR......maybe I’m just getting old.
But I think Travis will age very well, as will the program within the Big East. And, believe it or not, I hope UC finds themselves back as contenders in a strong league. Good for everybody.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:56 pm

Time for the boys to say. It is us against the world
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Remember it too well. Was at the X-Duke game sitting next to an obnoxious Duke fan. I do (and did) feel that Myles should have been taken out. Don't know how they didn't have time. You pick up your 4th and get him out. Matta didn't want to throw his assistant under the bus but basically implied that the assistant in charge of subs and didn't get him out on time. Texas game was a great game -wish Barnes didn't get ejected because X had taken control. As for fans, i agree that i don't like players or coaches getting attacked personally. No player or coach tries to make mistakes. That said. you can't imply people shouldn't say things because they haven't been in that hot seat, etc. I have seen posts where players are questioned for many different things. I have also seen posts where referees have been causes for losses. I'm fairly confident that most people (If not all) have never coached, played, or was a referee of a college basketball game. Lets hope X wins the next two and aren't worrying on selection Sunday.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:49 pm

I have a couple of friends that are or were refs in college basketball and one relative that was a Pac 10 ref. Everyone has stories about other refs who were either myopic or just plain bad refs. I understand everyone makes mistakes but if you are getting paid and make mistakes that cause your client to lose anything that is important you would feel repercussions for that or those mistakes, most of the time the refs don't. Lucky for college basketball many of the older bad refs have aged out in the last few years, unfortunately, there are still too many young ones left.

Fans think that basketball is the only thing that players think or should worry about but even the gym rats of the game have other things
that become problems during the basketball seasons.

Coaches get paid the big bucks for things that many times are out of their control like injuries, non-execution on the court, Covid pauses with no practices as well as games or just missed shots. Tonight we saw a good Creighton Team get beaten by a Nova team that lost their point guard in the first half. So is Creighton with the last two games listed as losses have a bad coach? NO WAY!

At the present UConn may have caught a break with GILLESPIE possible out for the rest of the year, although Wright may bless him with holy water tonight and perform a miracle. Wright sounded a little choked up when talking about the injury after the game tonight. So Nova wounded, Seton Hall losers of the last three against Georgetown, Butler, and UConn, and Creighton losing tonight what team may come out of New York next week is up for grabs but I hate that X/s first game might be against the hottest (Winners of 5 of the last 6 games) team in UConn as of now.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”