St Johns game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: St Johns game thread

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:57 pm

XavierBob wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:48 pm
Guys I’m not trying to start a s—-storm. I want Travis to do well, I really do, but, after 2+ years I just don’t see it. At some point it has to be on the coach, we took 40 threes tonight, I mean c’mon no team should ever shoot 40 threes in a game, that’s on the coach. Our D which I thought was ok the last two years is gone. If this program isn’t careful we will become DePaul.
Don't even kid about that.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:58 pm

Problem is I’m not kidding.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Muskieman be like: “Two of our runners almost managed to get to first base, and we did hit 17 foul balls”
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:07 pm

BOB, I agree X should not take 40 threes but when you have the nation's leading three-point shooter going 2-11, Scruggs 1-6, and Kunkel 1-7 you get to 40 real quick. Which one do you tell not to shoot threes anymore in the game... Nate and Kunkel don't get to the rim as well as Jones but Jones shot the threes 3-5 tonight and had 20 points.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm
Muskieman be like: “Two of our runners almost managed to get to first base, and we did hit 17 foul balls”
sounds like you be like piling on Jesse or should I say W----
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm
sounds like you be like piling on Jesse or should I say W----
?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:12 pm

Steele didn’t use his second timeout until 3 minutes, I don’t get it. Wasn’t Odom our highest recruit ever yet can’t even see the court in second half? At least we know he won’t shoot a three.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:51 pm
skyhops wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 pm
MM, you do know that those three coaches have national championships and Steele hasn't made an NCAA tourney? The blind love for Steele is getting strange.
Sorry, you think I have some type of love for Steele but it is interesting that coaches with NC get a pass when they have bad seasons. I guess winning a NC and it is always the players that are the fault but no NC and it is never the players. If it is all Steele's fault why are you always knocking Carter, Freemantle, and Odom? I recall when Miller first instituted the pac D you and others knocked that until he shut you up. Did he win a NC while at X because I must have missed that season?
No,

but he did win more games each successive season during his tenure, culminating with an E-8. The team's identity was defense, toughness, and good shot selection. Win or lose, it never resembled an AAU pickup game. He also didn't play his best overall scorer only 4 minutes a game and understood when his teams struggled, timeouts and adjustments were warranted. I don't miss him as a person, but damn I miss him as a coach.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:49 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:38 pm

I have always thought that. Why are so many games "players games"? I hear it from every coach. As for getting paid so much the Coach Ks and Tom Isso have not earned their pay this year. I am sure Jay Wrights team that got blown out the other night needs to give back some of his salary if we are going to start dinging paychecks
So ya think it's wise to compare Coach K, Coach Izzo, and Wright to Steele? Do you hear that? Yes, that was the bubble bursting once again under the Steele era. BTW, he got a $50 bonus for having two T.O.s in his pocket by the end of the game. Mman, let him off the hook. Tell him the NCAA didn't change the rule to allow coaches only 3 T.O.s instead of five. I suspect tomorrow's film session will involve seeing who cheered the hardest on the bench. Can't wait to hear his litany of cliches during his insightful post-game show. Like my good friend would say....Dripping.
If there is one thing I don't like about TS is the cliches but then I don't like cliches from anyone. You and sky hated Mack for unknown reasons even when he was winning so you hold little value with your comments. BTW that friend sounds like a great guy, you might try listening to him more.
CMack became a good coach in about his 4-5th season. His tenure was actually a roller coaster until then. He woke up on third base and blew the two highest seeds in X's history by winning a total of three tourney games during those collective years. He also refused to play zone the first few years b/c he said zones are for "puss>{s. I understood his struggles, as his previous head coaching experience involved coaching the MMD JV team. He did well overall, but was hardly a model of consistency. Despite the talent, he also was Nova's bit>h for five straight years. However, your go to move is to always pivot to other coaches to take the spotlight of a guy who seems like a wonderful man, but has not instilled much confidence in anything but being a great recruiter. Three years of not making the tourney (though X can still climb out of the abyss) is going to hurt the brand, and ultimately the caliber of recruits at some point.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Me too MM, I can’t imagine Mack’s team going 11/40 from three and saying in his presser that he is not worried about the offense and if he is so concerned about defense neither Free or Carter would play much next game. Johnson and Kunkel took poor shots early in the shot clock and continued to do it. This team is soft and I don’t see it changing next year

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”