Coaching Options

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: Coaching Options

Postby thecoach » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:34 pm

Jeff Goodman: College of Charleston is expected to hire Winthrop head coach Pat Kelsey, source told @stadium. Kelsey expected to more than double his salary and now he gets the best job in the CAA and lives in one of the best cities in America.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:00 pm

That would be a great gig. Rumor has it he wasn’t sure he would get DePaul job and the Charleston job is a good one for him. He can always leave in a year or two for X.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 am

As for comments about Travis not having the right support, isn't that part of what makes him unqualified? Isn't the HC responsible for hiring his staff? Shouldn't he have figured out what wasn't working over the past few years and brought in the right pieces?

Reading that TS's father-in-law is on the board is incredibly depressing. I fear X is stuck with a bad coach for a very long time.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:47 am

Don't get too down, Madness31. We're still waiting to hear from father-in-law. He's a Xavier guy, just like the rest of us.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:52 am

He is on the board and gives a lot of money to Xavier, we are stuck with Student Manager Steele for a while.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:52 am
He is on the board and gives a lot of money to Xavier, we are stuck with Student Manager Steele for a while.
beating your dead horse again. You think that complaining about it will one get what you want?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Is the dead horse available?
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm
skyhops wrote:
beating your dead horse again. You think that complaining about it will one get what you want?

MM:

You and I have been simpatico on many things for several years now. You are dead wrong on Steele and I do not care if you ban me for a short while or forever from this Board.

As you know, I have always prefaced last names with the term “Coach”. Steele is not a Big East Coach, nor does he deserve to be in the #1 Chair any longer. X’s collapse this year is directly upon him.

My daughter and son and all of their basketball friends, who sat behind the basket at Xavier, are convinced he should be replaced. I know enough about college basketball to concur.

X’s AD is too stubborn and killing the program. What is your infatuation with Steele? Hops and AH have jousted with me for years on coaching issues. They are right on this.

Please, before you ban me, explain Steele’s strength?

ChitownSteve
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Relax MM. I know from many around program Steele isn’t going anywhere and a lot has to do with daddy in law, that’s pretty pretty well known. I was all for the hire, but he has been a poor coach especially with talent. Our roster and staff are a mess but unfortunately we are stuck with him. You probably think the Reds should sign David Bell to an extension
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:37 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm
skyhops wrote:

MM:

You and I have been simpatico on many things for several years now. You are dead wrong on Steele and I do not care if you ban me for a short while or forever from this Board.

As you know, I have always prefaced last names with the term “Coach”. Steele is not a Big East Coach, nor does he deserve to be in the #1 Chair any longer. X’s collapse this year is directly upon him.

My daughter and son and all of their basketball friends, who sat behind the basket at Xavier, are convinced he should be replaced. I know enough about college basketball to concur.

X’s AD is too stubborn and killing the program. What is your infatuation with Steele? Hops and AH have jousted with me for years on coaching issues. They are right on this.

Please, before you ban me, explain Steele’s strength?

ChitownSteve
Chitown,

Though I only occasionally disagree with Mman, one thing I can say is that he has a pretty thick skin. Before I became a moderator, I was suspended for a spell on a couple of occasions, rightfully so, and none were imposed by Mman. Your post was very measured, and hardly merits a suspension, and do not even believe it will even cross Mman's mind. However, sleep well knowing that I will step in and block the latter if he brings it to a vote.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”