Chicken or the Egg

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Biggernlife

Chicken or the Egg

Postby Biggernlife » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:38 pm

A recent poster said he hoped we get an available center-in the transfer portal! He further stated all mentioned were better than any one we currently have. Probably true. But I ask, how do you know? Miles for example didn’t see much playing time when he was healthy. Additionally he wasn’t healthy often enough. But, when he was Steele bragged how good he looked in practice the previous week and threatened to play him. He played him 4-5 minutes and he did reasonably well. I don’t think he has played since. Although I admit he did get hurt again. But if a guy doesn’t play you can say he was not good enough but if he doesn’t get a few shots to play he’ll never be good enough! I think Deonte Miles has earned a shot based on how he played when he was in there and how he has worked so hard to transform his body. Sadly going into next year we have a 6’11” young man not experienced yet. He should be itching to start but I hope his lack of experience doesn’t hold him back, cause he never got a real chance!
muskieman

Re: Chicken or the Egg

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:04 pm

I mentioned the centers in the portal but did not say they were better than any we have. In fact, I asked if anyone knew anything about those men. You are combining posts from different posters. I do think that a true center would give depth and might allow our forward to play that position without having an open post. If we are to play open post then Miles at one power forward and Frees at the other power forward would be nice but with no real depth. Ben would backup one but a player the size of Miles or larger would be nice to give the depth we need. Looking at other BE teams and other big schools most have 4 or more big men. I like Miles a lot and feel he can be a rim protector but I think his body was still not ready this season. I hope that the coaches including the strength coach make him a project to make him an assist. As we have been told from Gillian to Miller that big men take longer but the wait was worth it and I hope Travis spends time working to complement our forwards with more big men. Ceasar will be in the mix and let's hope one big transfer, maybe of Hankins quality, is worth the effort
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:12 pm

Muskie Man , never said you said anything, I was referring to your comments that Longliveskip commented on! He said all those centers are better than anyone center we have now! Don’t see why you had to defend your self from a comment made to whatLong liveskip said.? Additionally I mentioned No one, and didn’t write anything critical towards anyone! What’s the issue?
.... Biggernlife
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 am

let's relax, BnL. all those "5's" that entered the portal are most likely an upgrade, considering what Xavier has now at the 5 spot - which are the following:

1. an underweight supposed rim protector who can't stay off the injury report
2. a dude coming off a torn ACL (or whatever Stanley's injury was)
3. and a freshmen (when's the last frosh we had be an impact player as a 5?)

that's why i said that most likely all those options are better than what we have.

Free is NOT a 5.

so, let's hope we can get SOME depth at the position via the portal.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:09 am

Miles has four years left of eligibility. Basically a freshman with two years of experience already in the system. I still believe he will be a contributor. 10/15 minutes next year and a starter the following year. We have all watched the transformations of Stainbrook, Farr, Love, Jones, and O’Mara. Even UC’s Kenyon Martin wasn’t a big factor until his junior year. You don’t have to be a star, but just a contributor. I believe Miles was just 17 when he came to X.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”