Transfer portal players and BE news

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Transfer portal players and BE news

Postby skyhops » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:40 pm

Seems like they have been trying for the former UK asst Payne now with Knicks. I do know that Kelsey did talk to DePaul but didnt go much further and he wanted the Charleston job. Hopefully, he can be a top candidate to X when Steele finishes at one of the bottom spots in BE next year. We need 2-3 assts and another five players, ouch
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:21 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:40 pm
Seems like they have been trying for the former UK asst Payne now with Knicks. I do know that Kelsey did talk to DePaul but didnt go much further and he wanted the Charleston job. Hopefully, he can be a top candidate to X when Steele finishes at one of the bottom spots in BE next year. We need 2-3 assts and another five players, ouch
Be assured, not questioning your insight. Payne has probably been the #1 choice from day one and I suspect from the day DePaul’s AD Peevy was hired.

Speculating Coach Kelsey may have even sensed a perfunctory nature to the DePaul discussion(s).

X cannot withstand another year of Coach Steele. AD Christopher refuses to cut X’s losses now and own up to the fact that the Peter Principle is exemplified by Coach Steele. Wonderful man, whose lack of being on the court at the collegiate level is evident.
Coach Steele never sat on the sideline similarly yearning to get into a game while teammates repeatedly made the same mistakes over and over again. Simply stated, Coach Steele has ineptly handled players 7 through 10 on his roster. There is no debate about that fact.

Coach Steele is fully qualified to make a great living as a tremendous recruiter and associate/assistant and sit in the #2 or #3 chair on the bench. He has unfortunately proven the #1 Chair is beyond his skill set. Pains me to say so and I completely supported his hiring.

Good AD’s quickly move on from mistakes. Delaying the inevitable will make a resurgence in X’s program all that more difficult.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:55 am

Excellent post Chitown, most now believe that Steele is not equipped to coach even a small program at this point more suited to an assistant, etc. Never plying they game has hurt him especially with the better players leaving him to favor mediocre players like Carter, Kunkel. This program is falling fast and someone needs to step in, but sources tell me it is not happening anytime soon. We have no true bigs right now, but I’m sure a D2 will appear and the used car salesman will try and sell us on him.
AirJordan

Postby AirJordan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:05 am

Agree regarding Steele's lack of coaching chops....sad to say because I too thought him to be the right choice. I've thought about how a guy with a successful (by all accounts) twelve year apprenticeship could be so ill suited for the top job. I don't know the answer but I'm not convinced it is his lack of playing experience (I considered that). Remember Rick Majerus? That guy could coach. Majerus never played but was described as a gym rat when he assisted Al Mcguire at Marquette. I wonder if Steele really loves the game---if he enjoys what he does? Hard to tell from afar but, to me, he doesn't show much enthusiasm.

I hold no ill will toward Coach Steele but I too would prefer we cut losses now. We will need to dig ourselves out of this mess when his tenure ends. Better we stop digging the hole and get started on rebuilding. I don't think that's going to happen though.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:18 am

Depends on whether we have an AD or not.
McX

Postby McX » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 am

ChitownSteve wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:21 pm
skyhops wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:40 pm
Be assured, not questioning your insight. Payne has probably been the #1 choice from day one and I suspect from the day DePaul’s AD Peevy was hired.

Speculating Coach Kelsey may have even sensed a perfunctory nature to the DePaul discussion(s).

X cannot withstand another year of Coach Steele. AD Christopher refuses to cut X’s losses now and own up to the fact that the Peter Principle is exemplified by Coach Steele. Wonderful man, whose lack of being on the court at the collegiate level is evident.
Coach Steele never sat on the sideline similarly yearning to get into a game while teammates repeatedly made the same mistakes over and over again. Simply stated, Coach Steele has ineptly handled players 7 through 10 on his roster. There is no debate about that fact.

Coach Steele is fully qualified to make a great living as a tremendous recruiter and associate/assistant and sit in the #2 or #3 chair on the bench. He has unfortunately proven the #1 Chair is beyond his skill set. Pains me to say so and I completely supported his hiring.

Good AD’s quickly move on from mistakes. Delaying the inevitable will make a resurgence in X’s program all that more difficult.
Skip didn't play the game on any uber competitive level if I recall.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am

Skip used to say the secret to winning championships is having more NBA players than the other guys. For the most part that pretty much rings true. Of course there can be exceptions, but there is a reason that the majority of championships come from the likes of the Kansas, Duke, NC, etc. Gonzaga and Baylor both have multiple NBA players this year. Loyola plays well as a team, but would not be a favorite to win the NCAA. They have a fine coach for that level of player. He is what they need. Similar to many of the IvY league schools. Put him at a Duke or Kansas, he would be able to recruit 5 stars. He would not thrive with that level of player with his present system.

The higher the star level, the less likely the player is willing to wait and develop. Each year the freshmen expect to play ahead of the sophomores and juniors. I do believe that X’s last two recruiting classes have been ranked at a higher level nationally than previous. There will be more impatience.

We all, as former players and coaches, think we have all the answers, but we are not there everyday and we are not dealing with today’s players and their egos. Xavier is not alone. Steve W at Marquette was a fine point guard, but he did not bring about a quick change. Archie Miller, the same result. He was dealing with different levels of players at Indiana than Dayton.

Steele, Willard, Cooley, Hurley are all in a similar situation with the same results. Each will have break-thru years and down years. There are a great deal of fans in other cities who would take sold out crowds, competitive games and winning seasons. I am not lowering any expectations. The NCAA is not as interesting when X is left out, but Sweet 16’s and Final Fours every year might be too much to expect. I believe we are in good hands and there will be positive results.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Final Fours every year???? Who expects that??? Just one or two FFs in a lifetime would be nice!!!!! So far, for X, there has been zero FFs. And just one Number 1 seed, but an early second round loss....not good. I do not think most X fans are asking for too much. And the last 3 years are way below expectations for a normal X fan.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:05 pm

Lead Guitar wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:41 am
Skip used to say the secret to winning championships is having more NBA players than the other guys. For the most part that pretty much rings true. Of course there can be exceptions, but there is a reason that the majority of championships come from the likes of the Kansas, Duke, NC, etc. Gonzaga and Baylor both have multiple NBA players this year. Loyola plays well as a team, but would not be a favorite to win the NCAA. They have a fine coach for that level of player. He is what they need. Similar to many of the IvY league schools. Put him at a Duke or Kansas, he would be able to recruit 5 stars. He would not thrive with that level of player with his present system.

The higher the star level, the less likely the player is willing to wait and develop. Each year the freshmen expect to play ahead of the sophomores and juniors. I do believe that X’s last two recruiting classes have been ranked at a higher level nationally than previous. There will be more impatience.

We all, as former players and coaches, think we have all the answers, but we are not there everyday and we are not dealing with today’s players and their egos. Xavier is not alone. Steve W at Marquette was a fine point guard, but he did not bring about a quick change. Archie Miller, the same result. He was dealing with different levels of players at Indiana than Dayton.

Steele, Willard, Cooley, Hurley are all in a similar situation with the same results. Each will have break-thru years and down years. There are a great deal of fans in other cities who would take sold out crowds, competitive games and winning seasons. I am not lowering any expectations. The NCAA is not as interesting when X is left out, but Sweet 16’s and Final Fours every year might be too much to expect. I believe we are in good hands and there will be positive results.
Where can I get a pair of dem rose colored glasses?
I agree that we have it good as X fans but when a standard over the course of 20 years has been set, it is not unreasonable to expect success. As it stands today, many here feel we have taken steps backwards and they want to stop that negative trajectory. The college game has changed and I do feel being a coach and recruiting your own players every year is challenging, but 64+ teams made it work this year. Why cant we?
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:52 pm

Ideally a coach would have experience playing at the college level but that is not the primary problem here.

Steele coached under Mack. Mack was not a good coach. He was competely dependent on his players bailing him out of poor coaching. Luckily Mack had a lot of talent and several teams were able to achieve success. The teams failed to achieve expectations in all but 1 year.

Generally you do not want to promote a coach that coached under a bad coach. You are likely to get many of the same bad traits but run the risk that he is even less successful. There are always exceptions but I would have preferred Steele getting experience under a coach that exceeds expectations on a regular basis. That tends to be a good sign that he maximizes potential.

Regardless of the reasons, it is time to kick TS to the curb or at least demote him.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”