Cole Swider of Nova

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Cole Swider of Nova

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:13 pm

"I would like to thank Coach Wright for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great University, to all my teammates and coaches for the bonds and memories that we made over my 3 years. With that being said I will be entering the Transfer Portal. THANK YOU VILLANOVA."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Xavier2005

Re: Cole Swider of Nova

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:59 pm

this and other reasons is why I do not follow who is coming or being recruited. Many are recruited but few will chose X and X usually only recruits 2 to 4 per year.....then several will NOT work out and THUS leave or enter the new portal rule. The Division One portal this year has over 1000, i think, transferring to another school. Recruiting in the new world did not work for Kentucky, Duke, or others recently....the kids /players will chose to leave if not getting playing time or if they can go to what looks like a better college program and or coach. Having players for 3 to 4 years total is not likely....because the kids /players are more likely to leave or just not come at all.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 pm

He was given every opportunity at Nova but didn’t guard well enough.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:49 pm

This kid and the 900+ others looking to transfer are part and parcel of their generation since they all have been told how great they are since they were 6 years old. They rarely finish anything they start and Mommy and Daddy thinks they should play every minute of every game. They just want to be handed accolades not really work to earn them. A real shame1
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:55 pm

everything today due to computers, cell phones, social media, etc is instant NOW....instant ME first beliefs, ...today's world is " the individual comes first...."
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:21 am

I could be wrong but wasn't he choosing between X and Nova until Mack left?
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:27 am

Is there a Big East rule that does not allow transferring within the conference?
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:51 pm

Some of you guys wear your age on your sleeves. :D

You all seem to have a lot of unfounded stereotypes about generation Z, perhaps due to your over-consumption of cable news. (See what I did there?)

The truth is that most of the empirical research suggests that generation Z is much less individualistic or lazy than baby boomers or even Gen X. "But participation trophies... waaahh!!!" Millennials and Gen Z have higher self-esteem and expect more out of life than their parents or grandparents did at their age, and they are very critical of their world. They may even be a bit more narcissistic. But why is it a bad thing to be upset that each hour that you work generates as much as three times the profit as your grandparents or parents did at your age (adjusted for inflation), while you have to wait 10 to 20 years longer to buy a home and achieve some semblance of the American Dream? Should they not demand more from their employers when entry level jobs require more education and more technical skills than middle management jobs did a generation prior? And focusing on basketball in particular... colleges and the NCAA have been making millions and billions of dollars each year off of these kids for decades, not just profiting on their performances on the court, but even their likenesses and persons. All the while they are told they are "amateurs" and "student athletes", that they are receiving the "greatest reward" for their efforts: a "college education". All they have to do is give four years of blind loyalty to their team. But these kids see through the platitudes, contradictions and hypocrisies. They see that the only coaches or ADs that have the same loyalty are the dinosaurs with multi-million dollar contracts, most of whom are a-holes. They grow up with the corruption in the AAU circuits, to which the NCAA turns a blind eye, and they see all the big schools making shady deals with shoe companies. And they experience first hand how fast their coach and their school will turn on them if they slip up. Yes, they are "digital natives" and care about "likes" and "followers" and "branding", but they also have to deal with racist rants and death threats from their own "fans". I have very mixed feelings about the transfer portal and the movement to pay athletes, and I think "one-and-done" is absurd. I do think these changes are "ruining" the game as we know it. I have watched maybe two full NBA games in my life because of my purist attitudes about basketball, and I will rue the day when I can no longer stomach D-1 basketball. But most former athletes think they should be paid, and we all know that if the portal existed 10, 20 or 30 years ago, the athletes of those eras would have taken full advantage as well.
Let's March!
McX

Postby McX » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Bullshit!
basket

Postby basket » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:02 am

tacitus wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:51 pm
Some of you guys wear your age on your sleeves. :D

You all seem to have a lot of unfounded stereotypes about generation Z, perhaps due to your over-consumption of cable news. (See what I did there?)

The truth is that most of the empirical research suggests that generation Z is much less individualistic or lazy than baby boomers or even Gen X. "But participation trophies... waaahh!!!" Millennials and Gen Z have higher self-esteem and expect more out of life than their parents or grandparents did at their age, and they are very critical of their world. They may even be a bit more narcissistic. But why is it a bad thing to be upset that each hour that you work generates as much as three times the profit as your grandparents or parents did at your age (adjusted for inflation), while you have to wait 10 to 20 years longer to buy a home and achieve some semblance of the American Dream? Should they not demand more from their employers when entry level jobs require more education and more technical skills than middle management jobs did a generation prior? And focusing on basketball in particular... colleges and the NCAA have been making millions and billions of dollars each year off of these kids for decades, not just profiting on their performances on the court, but even their likenesses and persons. All the while they are told they are "amateurs" and "student athletes", that they are receiving the "greatest reward" for their efforts: a "college education". All they have to do is give four years of blind loyalty to their team. But these kids see through the platitudes, contradictions and hypocrisies. They see that the only coaches or ADs that have the same loyalty are the dinosaurs with multi-million dollar contracts, most of whom are a-holes. They grow up with the corruption in the AAU circuits, to which the NCAA turns a blind eye, and they see all the big schools making shady deals with shoe companies. And they experience first hand how fast their coach and their school will turn on them if they slip up. Yes, they are "digital natives" and care about "likes" and "followers" and "branding", but they also have to deal with racist rants and death threats from their own "fans". I have very mixed feelings about the transfer portal and the movement to pay athletes, and I think "one-and-done" is absurd. I do think these changes are "ruining" the game as we know it. I have watched maybe two full NBA games in my life because of my purist attitudes about basketball, and I will rue the day when I can no longer stomach D-1 basketball. But most former athletes think they should be paid, and we all know that if the portal existed 10, 20 or 30 years ago, the athletes of those eras would have taken full advantage as well.

GREAT post! You have either got to be a Sociologists, Psychologist or you Googled that answer! Once again GREAT post!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”