2021-22, impossible to figure what X will do?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Musketeer1

Re: 2021-22, impossible to figure what X will do?

Postby Musketeer1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 pm

Tandy did not demonstrate the handles to get open in space or the body/toughness (The Brunson-ness, if you will) to be effective at his size during his limited time. Maybe that will come, but as it was, his absence from this program will not be significant. As an aside, I think he got a lot of run because of what I will call unique name bias. If he were James Jones, I am not sure how much folks would care. Cool, memorable name = attention. We are simple creatures in many ways...
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm

He can create his shot better than Kunkle and is a better shooter and athlete.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:41 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:02 am
I also heard the podcast where Tandy asked to come back and Steele said no. I don’t get it
If he is so good why did he want to come back, couldn't he find someone that wanted him? Wilcher didn't take too much time to relocate.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:49 pm

Steele didn’t like him for a few reasons and heard his dad was a pain. Bad decision but I expect that from Steele.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:27 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:49 pm
Steele didn’t like him for a few reasons and heard his dad was a pain. Bad decision but I expect that from Steele.
"Dad" pain might be the reason other teams have not jump at all that talent. Sure it was Dad?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:34 am

skyhops wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:19 pm
He can create his shot better than Kunkle and is a better shooter and athlete.
actually, to your first point - NO, he can't. Tandy was spot-up 3 pt shooter. rarely did he ever drive into the paint and pull up to get to the rim and finish, and if he did, he wasn't very effiicient, considering he only shot 37% FG (while his 3 pt % was 35). on the other hand, even though Kunkel didn't shoot 3's as well as Tandy, he was WAY better in the lane, mid-range, etc., shown by his overall 39% FG. Kunkel was 25/40 from 2 pt range for 63%. that's way better than KyKy's 18/44 for 40%. Kunkel defended better and understood how to play in our system. KyKy clearly did NOT. as much as you want to defend KyKy, the fact that he ASKED to come back (not sure if it was before or after entering his name in the portal) AND the fact that not one school has signed him yet should tell you all you need to know.

however, i wish him the best and hope he finds a place where he can excel.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am

We picked up Kunkle because he was going to be our best three point shooter. He was one of our worst three point shooters, just look at the stats. Tandy was one of the best athletes we have ever had as well as an all big east fresh, which is not up for question. Steele choose a player he didn't even recruit in HS over Tandy, big mistake. Sounds like neither of you has played hoops in the past, so I don't expect you to understand which is okay.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 am

Steele never played, but was a good manager.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 am
We picked up Kunkle because he was going to be our best three point shooter. He was one of our worst three point shooters, just look at the stats. Tandy was one of the best athletes we have ever had as well as an all big east fresh, which is not up for question. Steele choose a player he didn't even recruit in HS over Tandy, big mistake. Sounds like neither of you has played hoops in the past, so I don't expect you to understand which is okay.
I agreed that Tandy was a better 3 pt shooter, but that can't be everything you base this on. Him being a better "athlete" wasn't translating on the court and i don't know why. All that athleticism we saw from him on all his HS highlight videos, including the one where he just drove down the middle and rose up/dunked over someone, the fact is.........we NEVER saw that "athlete" in a Xavier uniform. not sure what happened but he didn't play like that, even in his freshmen year. that athleticism, explosiveness, etc was never there in the time he got this past season. if you can't see that, then i'm not sure what else to say.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am

Xavier lands Iowa transfer Jack Nunge.

no idea who he is. never heard of him. i'm guessing this board will have a field day with this one.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”