2008 Football Banquet Featured Speaker: Tom Cecchini

Postby nickgyp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:38 pm

CLUB FOOTBALL
BANQUET

Thursday, December 11, 2008

6:00 PM

Roger Bacon High School Auditorium

Guest Speaker: Coach Thomas A. Cecchini
(former Head Football Coach, Xavier University, 1972-1973)

Please make your Reservation by Friday, December 5, 2008 by contacting Andrew Dornbrook (dornbrooka@xavier.edu) or Coach Powers (tepowersjr@yahoo.com, 513-746-5449).

Guest tickets are $10.00 each and you may pay at the door!
muskieman

Re: 2008 Football Banquet Featured Speaker: Tom Cecchini

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Banquet for $10, are you providing a coke and sandwich?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:13 pm

MM:

Don't know what is on the menu as I just got the e-mail from caoch Powers. Last year's affair was a catered buffet that included beer and soft drinks and it was sponsored by the Musketeer club; and it was a great time.

I would imagine that this year's set-up will be similar. If I hear more, I will pass it along.
JKC74

Postby JKC74 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:13 am

Nice touch asking the last XU Varsity FB coach to speak to the Club Team. He was a very good person, good football man, team captain at UMich in the sixties. In fact that last staff had several guys with great football backgrounds and later on were successful as coaches on other levels.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:38 pm

I echo the statement that coach Cecchini was a good mabn and good coach. He graciously allowed me to try to walk-on during spring practice of my freshman year/ Although a childhood injury ultimately prevented me from playing, I will always remember walking into his office and telling him of my intentions and just how welcoming he was to me.

Fr. Mulligan and the trustees pulled the rug out from under him just when he had the program starting to turn around from consecutive losing seasons. I feel bad that he got such a raw deal. He was such a class act.
RONALD78

Postby RONALD78 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:42 am

Just curious???? If this is Xavier University"s Club football why is it being held at a high school???? versus on campus at a Xavier building???
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Ronald:

FYI:

One of Xavier's former football players who is still associated with the school offered to have the banquet on campus at the O'connor Center Gym. However, per coach Powers, the invitations for the event had already been sent out before the offer from X came up.

Roger Bacon has been generous re use of its field for both practice and games so the relationship with RB is a good one.
Another point considering the banquet is the catering cost; and I do not know enough about the procedures/costs/
constraints re the use and/or choice of caterers.

Coach Powers would love to have it on campus and hopefully that will be worked out next year. Roger Bacon High School is not far from Xavier so having it there this year is a good option.

Bear in mind, club football depends, in good part, on donations and player fees so keeping costs at a minimum is important. The low ticket prices for games, etc. make access easily available. Last year's banquet was not on campus and it was a fun time and included game footage of the Miami game that was played at Norwood on cold November night (not the one on You-Tube). (I went to this game and it was great not only to witness but also to see again on tape.)

Yes, it would be nice to have it on campus and hopefully that will happen next year but thanks for the question
alanadavid

Postby alanadavid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 am

In 2015, he was invited as a guest speaker in my kid's school too. My kid received a performance award from him. Every year this sports event happens in my kid's school and we as a parent go there. But this year due to a pandemic event canceled. My boy was literally crying after listening to this announcement and he is upset even now. But management decided the event will happen in the first or second month of next year instead of at the end of the year. I'm thinking of giving my son a new football kit as a Christmas present. Do you guys know of any Black Friday sale on sports goods/sportswear or any kind of discount on coupon codes such as black friday coupons or Christmas coupons? I want to see my kid happy.
nickgyp

Postby nickgyp » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:39 pm

if you go to the Xavier bookstore site it appears they are having 25% off on Xavier mini helmets some styled in the color and emblem used in 1973 by Coach Cecchini's last team. I attended that banquet and he was as gracious as he was back when I tried to walk-on during the spring of 1973. A head injury that I suffered when I was a 10 year old hit by a car ended my walk-on quest (as I was considered a high risk). Not sure that I would have otherwise made the team but I will always recall how welcoming he was when I came into his office to announce my intentions. A real good guy who deserved better than what Fr. Mulligan did. He was righting the ship in 1973 but the rest is history as they say.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”