UD and XU- interesting SOS stuff

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mhettel

UD and XU- interesting SOS stuff

Postby mhettel » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:44 pm

i noticed something in the SOS of XU and UD.

XU non-con SOS is 22
UD non-con SOS is 62

XU overall SOS is 43
UD overall SOS is 12

The only way this can happen is apparently UD has played a tougher conference schedule than us so far. They still have RPI anvils GW, LaSalle, Fordham, and SBU to play.

Meanwhile, we have SJU twice, Rhody, Charlotte, and a decent Richmond team.

When this all plays out, we should have the final SOS edge.

I'd keep a REAL close eye n UD. They better finish very strong. That RPI and SOS have held in spite of a poor stretch, but it's getting fragile. They gonna need to finish at WORST 5-3 to feel confident, and there could be a HUGE game at XU where we could pop their bubble.
Masterofreality

Re: UD and XU- interesting SOS stuff

Postby Masterofreality » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 pm

I noticed that too, Hett. It is all about the fact that we've played the bottom feeders. XU is now in our tough league stretch. Every game, except for GW at home, is against a good team- teams that in most cases have at least one win against a BCS league team- even Richmond against Va. Tech.

This part of the season is where, I'm sure, that Sean was looking to prepare the team with the out of conference sched. That contained a series of tough games with little break very similar to the upcoming.

If XU can hold serve at home, and win at least one of the remaining roadies, they have exceeded my conference expectations.

I can hear the pundits now, though, if XU loses 3 roadies out of the last 8. "What's wrong with Xavier?", "Xavier cracks forming", they'll say, even though we'll probably win the league at 12-4. Heather Dinich will probably kill us.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
MuskiePimp23

Postby MuskiePimp23 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Heather Dinich is a bitter IU grad. She is bitter that X worked IU and that her hoosiers have NO top quality W's. She just wrote a column that Knight's career actually ended in IU. I wonder what she is smoking to not see him at Texas Tech.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:51 pm

Actually, Pimp, more than one Chicago writer said pretty much the same thing (that Knight's college career ended when he left IU), with the point being that he went from being a major player on the college basketball scene to more of an afterthought.

When he was at IU, it was like he had a hit play on Broadway. When he went to Texas Tech, it was like he had a good, but not great, play opening in Miami.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
mhettel

Postby mhettel » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:47 pm

I think we've shown that we could easily win the rest of our games. I don't think many would be surprised if we did.

The non-con schedule will give us the advantage of being able to bring it every game. My goal is 1 loss for the rest of the way. I think this team is that good.

I don't think we're gonna need to worry about what people write, because this team is going to finish very strong and really be positioned for a 2/3 seed.
jaxalum

Postby jaxalum » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:22 pm

A win tomorrow against SJU will lend X some breathing room. I don't see any other real threats at home after SJU. Worse case scenario, X holds serve at home and takes one more away game.

Make no mistake though, they need to beat SJU or they lose control of their own destiny, SjU would probably have the insidetrack to the A-10 title.

I'm very interested to see if Nivins is 100%. He goes from not even making the trip to their last game to being ready to go for this one.

Am I a bad person for feeling tangible pleasure when GW hit a last second three to beat UDUMP earlier today. Ud has been walking such a tightrope, either getting blownout, or winning games due to opposition meltdowns at the end......not today/it finally caught up with them. An angel gained its wings today.....
GBXU

Postby GBXU » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:58 pm

According to Dow, Nivins is 'good to go':
Nivins good to go

He just went through a full practice for Saint Joseph's and looked fine. Martelli said the importance of having Nivins on the court is that it doesn't upset the Hawks' balance. Like Xavier, Saint Joseph's attacks with balanced scoring, what with five guys averaging double figures, one less than Xavier's six.
X Gonna Give It To Ya!
wkrq59

Postby wkrq59 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:47 am

This St. Joe game is going to depend on the crowd and somebody for X--BJ, Stanley, Drew, Duncan hitting threes and getting X a good lead. More important though will be defense, rebounding and free throws. This may be the biggest home game of the season for X.
LA Muskie

Postby LA Muskie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:49 am

wkrq59 wrote:This St. Joe game is going to depend on the crowd and somebody for X--BJ, Stanley, Drew, Duncan hitting threes and getting X a good lead. More important though will be defense, rebounding and free throws. This may be the biggest home game of the season for X.
I think UT was the biggest home game of the year -- indeed, in the last many years. But that's history, and for tomorrow the SJU game is the biggest home game of the year. Until the next one...
bourbonman

Postby bourbonman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:51 pm

mhettel wrote:i noticed something in the SOS of XU and UD.

XU non-con SOS is 22
UD non-con SOS is 62

XU overall SOS is 43
UD overall SOS is 12

The only way this can happen is apparently UD has played a tougher conference schedule than us so far. They still have RPI anvils GW, LaSalle, Fordham, and SBU to play.

Meanwhile, we have SJU twice, Rhody, Charlotte, and a decent Richmond team.

When this all plays out, we should have the final SOS edge.
On RealtimrRPI X's overall SOS is up to 35 after today's game. ud has slid to 21. MH, as you observed, once this plays out X will have have the SOS edge.

On RPI Forecast, X ends up at 9 with SOS of 37. It includes a record of 25-6. That means we finish at 5-2. BTW, ud will end up at 34 with a SOS of 43.
It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”