Big win for X, but....

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
jaxalum

Re: Big win for X, but....

Postby jaxalum » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 pm

I am ecstaic about this win.....somewhat of a reversal of the Tennessee game, we're up 4 with a little less than 3 min left and lose due to a Ut late run....Today, down 4 with 2:00 min, and X goes on a game winning run.

If there's anything to be concerned about, its "consolidating" a lead/to score that knock-out punch with "that" basket/def. stop to put the opposing team away. I think when your up 18-20, thats mentally and physically almost impossible for the other team to make a comeback. X was up 16 at St Louis...one more 3 and a def stop and that game probably isn't as close/over. 39-25 against SJU. Two baskets and a def stop and that probably would have been mentally to much for SJU to overcome, much less go up 7 in the second half.

Then again, it builds character to win games like this....I was a bit hopeless when we were down 4 with 2:00 min. A team in that position should usually win the game. And then Duncan makes a NBA worthy move, calling for the ball on the block, back to the basket, fakes to his left and goes up strong with his left and releases a buttery smooth shot off the glass? and initiating a foul for the 3 point play. Besides Raymonds late 3, thats the play of the game in my book. When all is said and done, I got quite the adrenaline jack me up after that finish. A W is a W...and the more I look at the remaining schedule....X really needed that one. Its possible, though improbable, that we could lose 3 of our next 5.
bourbonman

Postby bourbonman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:10 am

jaxalum wrote:.....somewhat of a reversal of the Tennessee game.....
Don't know if you heard, but Miller referenced this in his post game remarks.
It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:19 am

Upon sober reflection (and I wasn't even drinking yesterday), the SJU win was a big win, and hopefully will give X something to build on re coming back from a deficit and beating a quality team.

But, as pointed out by jax above, X just can't keep giving away double digit leads. Do that in the NCAA and we'll be going home early.

If yesterday (and the SLU win) somehow give X the fortitude to win close, tough games, then they're a valuable lesson learned, and could be a big plus in March.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
tbonenku

Postby tbonenku » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:35 am

I was at the game. Most of that funk early in the 2nd half can be praised to St Joe's extended defensive pressure. They made some really good half time adjustments. The Musketeers answered that, and got a gritty tough win. St Joe's is a NCAA-tourney caliber team.

There is no way X was a true 10 point favorite in this one. That line had to be out (with the thinking Nivins is out).

I never thought the game was out of hand and winners win, and that's what this Musketeer team is-winners.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:05 am

When you are a top 20 team everybody that you play will give you their best shot. They will come at you with an intensity that they will not have for any other game. Everybody wants to topple the giant. In most cases the Muskies have been up to the task. Some days they are going to execute better than you even if they aren't a better team. I think Tennessee was the best team that Xavier has played this year and maybe the best in the country, but, I think Temple was the best team that Xavier has played this year on the day that they played them. I don't think anybody would have beaten Temple at home the day that Xavier played them. I think Xavier's problems in the second half yesterday had more to do with St Joe's defense than any failings on Xaviers part. Sean was able to make some adjustments and pull it out which is what good teams do.
XU 87

Postby XU 87 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:13 am

Mr. Neutral wrote: But, as pointed out by jax above, X just can't keep giving away double digit leads. Do that in the NCAA and we'll be going home early.

If yesterday (and the SLU win) somehow give X the fortitude to win close, tough games, then they're a valuable lesson learned, and could be a big plus in March.
In regards to the first paragraph, with the shot clock and the three point line, a double digit lead isn't that safe, especially when it's in the first half. Plus, but for a SLU player scoring 12 points in one minute, X should have won that game by 8-10.

I agree with the second paragraph. X is showing they can win close games. And that's important come March.
LA Muskie

Postby LA Muskie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:05 pm

finalfourorbust wrote:I think Xavier's problems in the second half yesterday had more to do with St Joe's defense than any failings on Xaviers part.
With all due respect, that's a sell-out. I don't care what degree of defensive intensity we may face, be it UT, Temple, or SJU. Our senior guards should not be startled into the turnover-fest that was most of the 2nd half. SJU admittedly played very good defense, but we made some very bad 2nd half decisions. Decisions like that will come back and bite us in the ass more often than not.

Again, I repeat that I am THRILLED about yesterday's win, especially the poise with which we played the final 2 minutes. And don't get me wrong: SJU is a very talented and extremely well-coached team. But we're a far better team than SJU. In each of our 4 losses (and our 2 recent close games) we have been our own worst enemy. Hopefully yesterday will be the last of that. I'm not sure my heart can take any more...

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”