Big win for X, but....

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
somebody

Re: Big win for X, but....

Postby somebody » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I came here figuring somebody would find a way to be negative about yet another win. I was not disappointed of course. It is one reason I don't come here very often other than to check on news and not to read why we should have beat a good team by 20! No they did not play a perfect game but they did what they needed to do to win AGAIN! Oh and yeah this was a game between the #1 and #2 ranking teams in the A-10. On selection Sunday this will just go into the formula as a win.

I was delighted to see on page 5B of the sports section of our small town Sunday paper a big picture of Drew and that AP article taking up a full 1/3 of the page! You can appreciate this knowing we are essentially a "suburb" of Columbus where normally the sports page contains only anything to do with the Buckeyes and the local high school sports scene and the Indians and Browns "in season". There are days when they don't even have room for the college basketball scores because they have to use the space for the local high school scores. Having lived in Cincinnati for 30 years it is an adjustment!

It's just what somebody thinks ...
MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Drew didn't play great today, but St Joe's defense had a lot to do with that. If you aren't happy about the win today, you probably need your expectations realigned. The league is too good to blow out every team. This isn't the conference USA.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:44 pm

I wasn't expecting a blowout. However, X (1) was favored by 10, (2) was playing at home, (3) was playing a SJU team without its best player-Nivins-for 25 of the game's 40 minutes, and (4) let a 14-pt. lead (39-25) turn into a 7-pt. deficit (60-53). That's a 21-pt. swing.

Exciting win? Sure. Reason for concern? I'd say so, but you disagree.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:16 pm

You go in at half time with a 9 point lead. What adjustments do you make? We have one turnover in the first half, but you average about 12, so what can you expect in the second half? Martelli made some adjustments--doubliing the guards in the corner; we made turnovers--a few offensive fouls that were questionable, but Stanley came through with a 3, a steal and clutch FT's. Great game against a good team.

Short memories we have. David West's senior year we had at least four games against Dayton, GW, Duquense and I believe Creighton that we won in the last second or in overtime. Could have been a swing of 4 games.

I applaud the way we hit the shots today. Sean's switch of Burrel to Colathes and Brown on Ferguson and his use of Love when he needed rebounds and toughness. Great game and great use of players. We can't beat everyone by 20. We know their offensive rebounds hurt, but there were times we had Anderson and Raymond at the forwards and St. J's is big and physical.

I was in St. Louis on Thursday and at the Cintas Center today. Two great games that we needed to win. Games we have had trouble with before, but the guys came through. Enjoy it. We have a great team and a great coach.
XU84

Postby XU84 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:30 pm

Look at the stats. X actually shot the ball very well, had a decent assist to turnover ratio, and did ok on the rebounding. St. Joe's is a good team. We'll have some problems playing them on the road but I don't expect X to go run the table. I hated to see the first half lead disappear but St. Joe's is well coached. Lets be happy with a big win.
somebody

Postby somebody » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:57 pm

And I dread to think what I would have read if we had lost. :roll: I'm sorry but I for one am very happy today. Tomorrow is tomorrow and we will get it figured out. Go Muskies!

It's just what somebody thinks ...
MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:I wasn't expecting a blowout. However, X (1) was favored by 10, (2) was playing at home, (3) was playing a SJU team without its best player-Nivins-for 25 of the game's 40 minutes, and (4) let a 14-pt. lead (39-25) turn into a 7-pt. deficit (60-53). That's a 21-pt. swing.

Exciting win? Sure. Reason for concern? I'd say so, but you disagree.

We had a sub-par opening to the second half, and St. Joe's played like the excellent team that they are during that stretch. I agree that there are things that we can do better, but the positives regarding the toughness that our team showed down the stretch outweighed the negatives. I wouldn't read to much into intra-game swings or point Vegas point spreads. Both games came to play today, and it was fun to watch.
GBXU

Postby GBXU » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 pm

At Charlotte
At Rhode Island

We are not done with the nail biters just yet...
X Gonna Give It To Ya!
XURunner85

Postby XURunner85 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:23 pm

I agree that in the 2nd half we went into a funk, but with 10 minutes to go the adjustment Sean made started to work, though we still struggled a bit but we caught them and stayed with them and then pulled it out. I agree we can't squander big first half leads but if we do we can't get down and not fight back, we have to persevere and get the win. How many times can we do that, I hope until the Final game is over and we are champions. The next two are going to be tough especially Charlette, because it is a no TV game and I will go crazy just listening to Joe and Byron.
xuhuh!

Postby xuhuh! » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:31 pm

good teams win the last 2 games, some rough edges but, respect the opponent. charlotte next, not a gimme. :arrow: :?:

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”