New Coach

Talk XU Women's basketball here...
olsingledigit

New Coach

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 am

Radio silence or what? Where are all of the Women's fans? No word on prospects or anything? No post here since April 7th. I hope we get a good coach and continue to have a great program but my take is that McGuff was a lousy coach who got lucky with two great players and proceeded to underachieve with them.

Just Sayin
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
downunder

Re: New Coach

Postby downunder » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I guess a lot of fans are waiting for Mike Bobinski
to make the decision.
And I don't agree that Kevin McGuff was a lousy
coach. Sure he had some bad calls but there were times when the players didn't help matter.
Any way he is gone.
Sure would be good to see Amy Waugh get the job.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:27 pm

X will certainly be in rebuilding mode and Amy might be a good gamble but if Mike is talking about a national search then it might be a surprise. I would hate to see Amy leave X because I think she will make a fine head coach but she might still need some experience. I am sure Mike will make a deliberate decision.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 am

I tend to agree with OSD. Before the Elite Eight run, McGuff's teams flopped in the NCAA, and then this year, they did it again.

His teams seemed to be very mistake-prone and shot poorly from the field and FT line in big games. I think he rode his talent to good records instead of really making that talent better.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks Neutral. I appreciate the support. I still don't know where all the women's fans are? Maybe that is a reason why McGuff left.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:52 pm

OSD, I said before the year unless he makes the final four he would probably leave because he would be losing his best chance to get there with Harris and Phillips and would be left with rebuilding.

He has been disappointing in some of his X's and O's which makes you appreciate what Chris did this year. Had Chris had players like 2 number 1s in ranking I think he would have done much more with them. That last game for the women's especially the last 4 minutes was hard to swallow.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:23 am

Amen, MM - whole last game hard to swallow but yes the collapse at the end was simply inexcusable and he did nothing to stem the tide. I see his tenure at Washington being short enough for them to figure him out.

Lets hope a new look coach can rebuild the program and put it back on the map.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 am

X is announcing their new women's coach at 2:30 EST today. No idea who it will be.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Per the board from which you were banned, Neutral, it is Amy Waugh.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Interesting. Good luck to her. Sometimes bringing back former players works out great, sometimes not so much.

Return to “Xavier Women's Basketball”