New Coach

Talk XU Women's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: New Coach

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

One thing that might indicate if Amy might be good would be when she came to X as a freshman she had watched X games her whole senior years and created a playbook with all the different plays X ran that year. When she came to X she said she had a playbook and Coach Balcolm said "we don't have a play book" Amy showed her the one she made up and Coach was impressed she could create one. Amy's playbook became the women's playbook while Balcolm was the coach.
Amy was also the on court general for the team and well, They went to the elite eight.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-man

Postby X-man » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

muskieman wrote:Amy was also the on court general for the team and well, They went to the elite eight.
Best of all, they beat Pat Summitt on (practically) her home court to get there. Man, was Summitt PO'd in that game. I loved it.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:38 pm

I am very much in favor of this hire. If she can recruit I guarantee she can coach better than McGuff. So what risk is there? McGuff likely left the cupboard bare for ANY new coach.

Good luck, Amy, and I love having another Alum in charge of the program.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
XU-PA

Postby XU-PA » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:04 pm

I think the cupboard is anything but bare. And I'll guarantee Coach Waugh is not saying that and is not thinking that either!

Rutan and Mossy as returners give the group a very solid foundation, some real scoring ability from the guard spots. My question at guard is about the point. Can Tyesha be the floor general or will Waugh need to bring Hawkes into that spot? Her speed is top notch, but at 5'3" can she stand up with today's bigger defenders?
Transfer Pachko is a legitimate star, and so is Gray if she can get to the point where she can play without worries. Lakeisha Crouch is a star too, her injury really hurt our depth this year, her healthy next season, wow! Taj Wilson is another, injury and sitting out a year, she'll have some serious rust to work off, but that girl has star potential.
that leaves the post as the spot with the most questions, Latisha Walker was the #33 ranked center out of high school, add in Senior Sabrina Johnson and I think you've got a serviceable pair to platoon in the post.
The one thing I know nothing about, and since the coaching change I'm sure is up in the air, is the incoming recruit class. I recall there was a big, but I know nothing else.

I know alot of people look at our team, having lost a superb point guard and the two best bigs to ever wear a xavier uniform, and think all is lost for nest year. But no team could replace those two, it's a once in a lifetime thing to have a couple players like that on a Xavier team together.

I see next years XU team as a potential mirror to what happened with the men's program this year, they
ll have the potential to surprise alot of people
XU Rocks, UC Sucks!
xubuck

Postby xubuck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Still remember the look Summit gave her players at the end of the game. As they say, if looks could kill, she'd have had 10 dead women around her.
Mr. Neutral

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 pm

If Waugh does have less talent, but they're better coached, I'll be fine with that. McGuff's teams too often looked like Guy Lewis/Lefty Driesell teams (good talent, bad coaching).
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:15 pm

somewhere in some firehouse in Cincinnati PMThor is planning his next stocking moves. This hire is like the second best thing that Thor could want the first being the complete and utter destruction of the dayton university.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:59 am

I agree, Neutral - I'll settle for the good coaching.

Note to new Coach Waugh: Please ditch the bangs - you need to look the mature part that you are.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
RONALD78

Postby RONALD78 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:39 am

Like the choice for Coach also! Looks like Xavier has chosen "the Xavier in breeding method as a coach selection process for the men and women programs". I hope it works for X.
Mikey22

Postby Mikey22 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

Amy Waugh will bring something very new to the women's team - passion and a "refuse to lose" attitude!!! And actual in-game coaching, which was sadly lacking with McGuff. Our two stars were great, but like players under Cronin at UC improved little during their time here - getting by on natural talent rather than improving due to good coaching. I think we'll find Amy recruiting talented, disciplined and passionate players - ones who play hard every minute of every game. This will be a good progression for the women's program and I wish Amy every success. Looking forward to attending games this next season.

Return to “Xavier Women's Basketball”