8 Had Gonzaga
4 Had North Carolina
0 Had uc

Not bad showing!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament
Bedfordmuskie

Re: ESPN's Final Four Picks by 28 Analysts

Postby Bedfordmuskie » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Given that we are a #1 seed, having only 4 pick us in the final 4 and and no one picking us to win it all is not what one would expect from our seed. But, I hope we have use it as extra motivation and we become the first #1 seed to shock the world by winning it all.

Go X!
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 pm

Honestly, I was worried that we would get a 1 seed and choke because everyone expected us to make a deep run.

So I appreciate all the disrespect we are getting from the loudest "experts".

In 2016, as a 2 seed, we were a hot pick for the final four. Then, in the last 5 minutes or so in the second round game against Wisconsin, everyone was looking at each other like we were going to win because we had the lead were supposed to win. We had them down about 10 points and let them come back. Then Koenig drilled two threes in the final 30 seconds to tie it and then take the lead. We were pretty complacent the whole second half.

I prefer X teams that play with chip on their shoulder. I doubt a respected voice would call us a mid-major right now, but calling us the weakest 1 seed in a decade that won't make it out of the second weekend (if that), will do.

ESPN also had a list of players that could carry their teams to the Final Four and Trevon was not on the list. Show him that, Mack!
Let's March!
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes, I like a team that plays with a chip on their shoulder too.

I think I will show the team that a Mr Eric Single has them losing to a 16 seed.

After Coach Mack called out FS1 after the St John's game... I believe our coach has a chip too!

Nothing wrong with that!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm

tacitus wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:50 pm
Honestly, I was worried that we would get a 1 seed and choke because everyone expected us to make a deep run.

In 2016, as a 2 seed, we were a hot pick for the final four. Then, in the last 5 minutes or so in the second round game against Wisconsin, everyone was looking at each other like we were going to win because we had the lead were supposed to win. We had them down about 10 points and let them come back. Then Koenig drilled two threes in the final 30 seconds to tie it and then take the lead. We were pretty complacent the whole second half.

I prefer X teams that play with chip on their shoulder. I doubt a respected voice would call us a mid-major right now, but calling us the weakest 1 seed in a decade that won't make it out of the second weekend (if that), will do.

ESPN also had a list of players that could carry their teams to the Final Four and Trevon was not on the list. Show him that, Mack!
Jay Bilas, a couple of days before the selection show when they were still debating number one seeds (possibly during Game Day on Sat), said X is a really good team, still deserved a number one seed, has great bigs and length, and a guy who can score 30 every night. So he is an X hater, except when he is not,about 90% of the time. Ironically, the Duke fanbase should be in an uproar because he picked MSU to advance to the FF, not Duke. I did hear that he spread a rumor that CM doesn't recycle his diet coke cans however.

This isn't directed towards you Tacitus, but we sure go out of our way to look for pseudo-disrespect. Isn't it ironic that there is great uproar over the fact that the Zags are picked over us, AND NC, AND MI, despite being a lower seed to all 3? Perhaps we should rally with their fan bases (and Duke's) and plan a march to Nashville.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:28 pm

tacitus wrote:

Losing to Wisky with their slow tempo game and lack of explosive offensive players was inexcusable. I think CM is a very good coach but struggle sat times with in-game adjustments. Wisky played slow tempo all game to limit possessions, and we did NOTHING to change that. No varying presses, half court traps, or anything else.

A 10 point lead with 5 to go against them is like a 15 point lead against other teams. CM certainly redeemed himself last year though, and I sense a FF if they can get by the Zags. Toss of the coin in my mind, though I'm leaning more and more toward X, despite what the national pundits predict in their sincere, agendaless opinions.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I love all the disrespect. And I don't think it's pseudo disrespect (granted, even Eric single's mom has never heard of him). We went 28-5 and won the second best conference, had zero losses to non tourney teams, and almost no one is picking us.

Mack better be hanging one thing up on the bulletin board after the next.

This team needed this. My one beef with this team is they're very laid back and borderline complacent at times. This should wake them the hell up and hopefully make them come out hungry to take it out on Texas southern and Florida state/Missouri this weekend.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:08 pm

True_Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:39 pm
I think I counted correctly....

28 analysts picked their final 4 teams:

4 Had XU
8 Had Gonzaga
4 Had North Carolina
0 Had uc

Not bad showing!

That's a big group, and all these picks be they individual games, round advancers, et. all are influenced by what is watched. The media folks are often as influenced by what they hear as what they also see. Gonzaga is a favorite pick, and although the conference is often not rated very highly there are a lot of folks who are following these teams. The conf. championship ratings for tv, Mwest very strong:

ACC... 3.4M... ESPN
B12... 2.9M... ESPN
SEC... 2.6M... ESPN
AAC... 2.1M... CBS
MW.... 1.6M... CBS
BE..... 1.5M... Fox
A10... 1.4M... CBS
P12... 612K... FS1

However, picks are like preseason all conference teams. Meaningless. Don't count Wichita St. out of the final 4.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm
tacitus wrote:

Jay Bilas, a couple of days before the selection show when they were still debating number one seeds (possibly during Game Day on Sat), said X is a really good team, still deserved a number one seed, has great bigs and length, and a guy who can score 30 every night. So he is an X hater, except when he is not,about 90% of the time. Ironically, the Duke fanbase should be in an uproar because he picked MSU to advance to the FF, not Duke. I did hear that he spread a rumor that CM doesn't recycle his diet coke cans however.

This isn't directed towards you Tacitus, but we sure go out of our way to look for pseudo-disrespect. Isn't it ironic that there is great uproar over the fact that the Zags are picked over us, AND NC, AND MI, despite being a lower seed to all 3? Perhaps we should rally with their fan bases (and Duke's) and plan a march to Nashville.
No worries, no offense taken.

I put a bit more weight on their tournament predictions than anything Bilas or anyone else said during the season. They just need content to fill the airwaves. They talk about the potential and failures of every team with a fanbase at some point in the season. They are also still trying their hardest to sell their BPI to the Selection Committee, when in reality there is no indication that the Committee ever even looks at the BPI. Anytime they talk about a team, whether it is bracketology, power rankings, or match-ups, it is BPI this and BPI that. We are the weakest one seed in a decade according to BPI. Fine... but we are a solid one seed according to RPI and SOS. We are at risk of losing in the second round according to BPI. Fine... but Missouri and Florida State have a lot of downsides for us to exploit and they do not have our balance, experience or depth, all of which are critical this time of year.

Truth be told, we've gotten a lot more positive national press the last three years than in the previous 90+ combined. But as a fan, I am dying for this team to prove the talking heads wrong. I am hoping that Mack is selectively exploiting the predictions to pump up the team.

This tells both sides of the story: the general public seems to think we are the onse seed that is least likely to make a deep run. Flipside: with the exception of 15-16 when were we in the national contender discussion.
Let's March!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 am

when the pundit's picks give that team points on board before the game starts I will start to care what they think. If the slight effects the players then they probably deserve their fate but I don't think they care except to show those pundits they were wrong.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”