Depaul Game thread 12-29-2018

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: Depaul Game thread 12-29-2018

Postby ChitownSteve » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:39 pm

A few random thoughts:

- Had to restrain myself from yelling at Goodin to stop shooting 3’s and instead to feed Welage.
- DePaul pulled its common disappearing act at the end of the game.
- Echoing kudos to Coach Steele on the switch to the zone defense which was a major contributing factor to DePaul’s collapse.
- Jeffrey Anderson has climbed to the top of my “referees I do not want to see” list.
- X’s Game plan and execution against Strus were excellent. Strus is customarily a good rebounder and limiting him to 1 defensive board, and no offensive boards, impressive.

Good to see a nice percentage of those in attendance wearing X garb. We had a group of 18 rooting on the Muskies.
Biggernlife

Postby Biggernlife » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 pm

You guys saw it but you never commented on it ,so here goes. The only reason Max Strus was held to such low numbers is because he is hurt. He wore a heavy brace on his right knee. He pulled his leg and hobbled around the whole game.Very very obvious,and looked like he couldn’t put weight on the thing to get off his normal jumper. If he doesn’t get appreciably better he’s in for a long season. All so obvious in person. Just saying, ......... Biggernlife
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:45 am

The comment regarding Wellage only playing bad defense is confusing to me. Defense is half the game. Being bad at half the game is a big deal. That being said, I don't know that X is playing amazing defense to make this a bad trade-off. Additionally, the starting 5 could use another shooter. This could be a case of situational basketball where X starts or gives more minutes to Wellage against some teams and more to Castlin against other teams. Some players struggle to adapt to personnel changes or role changes if pertaining to them specifically so this may not be an option but should be considered.

Those with defensive weaknesses can easily be coached up. Some is knowledge and some is internal desire. Coaches need to find the fire in some cases and teach technique in others. Fire can overcome talent most of the time but there are extreme differences in quickness that require technique to simply compete. Sometimes being in the face of the offensive player is enough to get them to backdown, especially if you can stay with them for a few steps. That is the approach I like to take and adapt as needed. At 42, being perceived to have the ability to stay with a 25 year old is huge. Test me too long and age becomes a factor. That being said, psychologically believing you can guard a person expands the timeframe. That was true in my youth as well as now. That confidence makes a defensive player quicker and the offensive player slower as his confusion slows down his decisiveness.

I've experienced the above many times but the most significant was when I was guarding a guy that was taller, quicker, stronger and with an impressive J. He lit me up in the first half. I couldn't stay with him. During halftime I decided I wasn't going out of the tournament that way and shut him down. Complete change in mindset and attacked his moves. I was in his face at every turn, completely unwilling to get beat. While I would like to think I'm unique, I imagine most competitive athletes have this same fire within them. It is all about how you get it out of them. There is a trigger. My guess is, every scholarship player on the Xavier team would crank up the intensity if I was beating them 1 on 1. Embarrassment being the motivating factor. That however is not the only motivating factor in sports.... Glory or bragging rights is another big 1. You can scare a defender with talk of the talent of an opponent or you can motivate them with it. Present it as a challenge. Let them know how huge it would be for the team and for them personally to shut the kid down. Play into their ego. Tell me I'm a god if I beat Curry 1 on 1 and I guarantee I beat the spread. In my view, this is what separates good coaches from great coaches. The psychological aspect of the game maximizes potential and creates opportunities in key situations. No guarantees this works for everyone but it certainly works for many if not most. It can of course backfire if misused as this encroaches upon trash talk. I personally respond to trash talk in the most positive way imaginable as I will make it my life goal to shut down anyone running their mouth at me. Others however will start making poor choices shooting the ball, etc. It is best to focus this on the defensive end and use it to coach responses on the offensive end. If a player is known to run his mouth you want to educate how that has caused people to respond incorrectly on the offensive end.

Macura was not a great 1 on 1 defender but was better than most give him credit for. He was a great team defender which is why he got so many steals. He knew how to play defense and he had a desire to win. Desire is key to getting great defense from a player. Find that desire and you will up the game of everyone. Not all will become lockdown defenders but they should all improve. Defense is what takes this team from mediocrity to legitimacy.

Sorry for the rant but it has been so long since Miller was here and X had good defense. I miss Burrell and the rest of the crew. I would love to guard Curry but I just can't get my conditioning to where it needs to be and I just don't see him taking my calls. Change the latter and I promise I change the former. I've not been a fan of the NBA in a long time and he is the poster child for why. Where is the defense? He can shoot and he has decent quickness but not enough to be a real threat if anyone decides to defend him. Cleveland proved that with their back-up PG many years ago when Curry was useless for half the series because someone actually defended him. Did he improve since then, most likely but Dellevadevo or however you spell his name was not even close to the fastest guy in the league. He simply had desire.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:50 am

Good win.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:17 am

Some is physical ability to...Castlin was getting posted down low where at 6-5 he was giving up 4-5 inches and couldn’t guard his man, no matter how much desire he has. Welage doesn’t have the quickness to stay with some players. There are just going to be some situations where X players don’t match up well with the opposing players. But at least Welage brings some offensive ability to the table, Castlin brings virtually none. The team did play much better overall defense during December than it did in November, based on the number of points allowed per game. Almost a 10 point per game decrease.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:30 pm

AH thinks I am always down on Ryan because I feel his D sometimes nullifies the offense he brings to the team and that for a big guy he should contribute to rebounding. Yesterday the one play that I screamed at Ryan was the same time about every X fan probably did the same thing, I am talking about the ball movement that swung the ball to Ryan from Naji and he though open threw it to someone else instead of taking the shot. I know Naji felt the same way because he went over to Ryan and said shoot the ball that is why I threw it to you, or something to that extent.

I hope the team brings intensity and desire to the rest of the season. Seaton Hall will not be as easy and it appears the refs and luck were on their side against St Johns
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:33 pm

All this talk about defense (playing zone certainly helped) but we WON the game because we MADE some threes late - one by Welage, one by Naji, and one by Paul. Those nine points made the difference IMHO. If we make shots at the end of the game - we win. Go Xavier!
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:37 pm

Biggernlife wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:32 pm
You guys saw it but you never commented on it ,so here goes. The only reason Max Strus was held to such low numbers is because he is hurt. He wore a heavy brace on his right knee. He pulled his leg and hobbled around the whole game.Very very obvious,and looked like he couldn’t put weight on the thing to get off his normal jumper. If he doesn’t get appreciably better he’s in for a long season. All so obvious in person. Just saying, ......... Biggernlife
Indeed, Strus is hurting. Given that I was at the game he was injured and several games since, did not really find his demeanor yesterday any different than recently observed.

Not disputing your comment, because possibly Strus strained his leg more in the past week. Looked on a DePaul blog, and as of yet, no one has commented about Strus being hampered more than any other game since the injury.

What I did notice is that X blanketed him better than any other opponent DePaul has hosted at the Wintrust Arena this year. Agreed, he is not 100%. As with much, maybe the injury/defense distinction lies somewhere in the middle.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Ugly at times, but this group needed a road W badly. Got it, and a conference opener to boot. Lots of terrific spot on comments prior on this thread about our many flaws, however - I did like the effort and spunk. The team looked to be pulling hard for each other and played smartly down the stretch.
One brick at a time boys, one brick at a time...
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:27 am

On welage,

I don’t know if you can just play him more. He is a huge defensive liability and is also probably the worst rebounder at his height I’ve ever seen.

However, I do feel that either welage, Elias, or Kennedy (if we’re calling him a shooter at this point?) need to be in the game at all times.

We seem to have 3-4 pretty good slashers on the court at any time but they have no one to kick to bc the defense doesn’t respect any of them as shooters. When one of them gets open they pretty much have to shoot and that’s when you end up with 1-7 Q.

If we at least had one shooter in the game (regardless of their liabilities) it at least opens up the middle some.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”