Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Musketeer1

Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby Musketeer1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:29 pm

After this coaching debacle ends, what about Dino? Roots go back to Skip. ACC HC experience (61-31 with Wake). And an opportunity to take from CM's cupboard. Seems like he could be a steady hand to get the ship back on track...
oldhoopster

Re: Could Dino Gaudio be the answer?

Postby oldhoopster » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:55 pm

Coach Steele will be around for a few years. Much can change in that time. We heard similar rumblings about Sean Miller and Chris Mack in their first seasons. It's hard to transition from assistant to head coach and from a friend to the players to a boss of them. Took both Sean and Chris at least a year and a half to become coaches rather than friends. Jury's still out on Steele as it would be for any coach in his situation, with his group of players. Who knows, in 3 years Dino may have another head coaching job. Let's give Travis a chance first.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:16 pm

only way this happens is if the program is right where it's at now in 4 years(and we don't even make the tourney at all in the next 4 years). that's the only chance Dino has at this job - is if Steele completely fails in the next 4 years.
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Lord Almighty, give the man a chance to get his feet wet! The previous coach pretty much "left the pantry empty," knowing that he was going to UofL. There were few options left for Travis to fill in the missing pieces to the puzzle for the 2018-2019 season and at the point he was hired as the head coach. In his first regular opportunity to direct recruiting for the next year, he has seemingly done a very good job, based on the talent who have signed letters of intent.

I believe any coach should have at least 4 full recruiting cycles before "throwing him to the dogs."
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 am

muskienick wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 pm
Lord Almighty, give the man a chance to get his feet wet! The previous coach pretty much "left the pantry empty," knowing that he was going to UofL. There were few options left for Travis to fill in the missing pieces to the puzzle for the 2018-2019 season and at the point he was hired as the head coach. In his first regular opportunity to direct recruiting for the next year, he has seemingly done a very good job, based on the talent who have signed letters of intent.

I believe any coach should have at least 4 full recruiting cycles before "throwing him to the dogs."
Way too early to be asking for Steele to bounce. However, if we miss the tournament the next two years and our recruits dont look great, I dont wanna wait another 2 full years.
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:13 am

This season is very disappointing. I thought we had enough talent on the roster to be competitive in the Big East and maybe sneak into the tournament.

But it is way too early to call for Steele's head. This season is not even over yet! And there are a lot of big games to play yet.

We have to remain objective. We have been blown out a few times (which stings), but most of our losses were competitive games. Our loss to Villanova this year was by far our best performance against them away from Cintas ever.

I really like Sports Reference as a data source for comparing teams and seasons. (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/xavier/) Based on the SRS formula, this is our worst season since 2012-13. This is based on margin of victory/loss and SOS. But the current season is our 28th best overall using that metric. Both Mack's rebuilding year (2012-13) and Miller's rebuilding year (2004-2005) were worse years. Although our records were better in those years, our SOS was much weaker and the win and loss margins were worse.

So, while we did not expect to find ourselves suddenly in last place in the Big East with all but zero chance at the post season, the Big East is unforgiving. We have a solid class coming in next year.

Having said all of this, I stand by a statement I have made previously: unless we are back to a 20-win bubble season next year (including the BE tourney), I think we need a new coach sooner rather than later. That has to remain the status quo for an average Xavier season. More than two years below that would cause irreparable damage to our brand.

(And for those of you who always reply with "there is more to this than winning games", get real! It is not just our athletic department which has been built upon the on-the-court success of basketball. Our record-breaking classes, all the new facilities, and the increased value of a Xavier degree over the past decade plus are all a result of that success as well. Like it or not, up-and-coming Xavier coaches will not have the same slack the did in the past.
Let's March!
Musketeer1

Postby Musketeer1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:31 am

I appreciate the well-reasoned responses from all who have said that it is too soon to issue calls to move to another coach. I understand that at least another season or two of Steele is imminent. I suspect that is the industry standard, absent scandal, and to act more hastily would be perceived to potentially visit more harm on the program's reputation. I also understand that the loss of veteran starters is a big deal. I look at Villanova though, who lost 4 players to the NBA (two unexpectedly) and see that they have progressed throughout the season to remain atop the conference. Jay Wright assessed the team he had early on (taking lumps against Furman and Penn), adapted a style to fit its strengths, and convinced the players (including several freshman) to buy in to his plan for success. Expecting a first-time, first-year head coach to be like Jay Wright is irrational, of course. But that is part of the problem with this hire in the first place. Even assuming Steele may someday have those coaching skills, ought this program suffer while he starts down that long road with his training wheels clanking along? And, if so, where is the promise that better days are coming? I am curious what evidence of future success I am missing in Steele's performance thus far? Selfish tendencies remain for those players who have the AAU flu. The transfers are working desperately to contribute to make this last season of their basketball careers meaningful, yet their scattershot use and indiscernable roles blunt thier contributions. The anointed team leader has regressed. The dozens of turnovers have persisted. These are things any head coach is responsible to improve, whether in his first year, or his twentieth. If Steele is to get more time, I think it reasonable to expect there be some evidence he is up to the task.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 am

Comparing hiring a new coach at Xavier to Nova is just not even in the same genre. Nova is that rare entity along with Gonzaga who is able to retain a top 5 guy in spite of being a small school. Jay has had a lot of chances to move to bigger schools for more money, but he turned them down. You're not going to poach a guy anywhere near his status from another school, so you go with what has worked and gamble on an assistant and keep personnel in place. Any "established" guy would be someone who was fired at his last job or left because of a drop off. The next option would likely be the proverbial "up and comer" who's likely coming from the Mac or A10 etc. Is that a better option? Time will tell. Wright will eventually retire, and they'll like go to an assistant and the clock will be reset. However, he's a unique draw in a big city and they're enjoying the ride right now. Travis's best shot is to find another TB.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 am

in regards to Jay Wright and Nova - they may have lost 4 guys to the NBA but they retained two NBA caliber players in Booth and Paschal. there is NO ONE on Xavier's roster who is even near the talent these two are. Add the ever-present white guy who can shoot it in Archiediacano2.0 and there's 3 dudes who are better than anyone we have. that's the difference right there. add to the fact that Mack left the cupboard bare, i think it's safe to say that even Coach K wouldn't have this team above .500. let's let Steele recruit "his guys" and see if he can do something with them. he needs at least 3 years to see if that can happen.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:37 am

No IMHO Dino is not the answer. Give Steele 2 to 3 years minimum to make something happen.....unless next year is worse. X has made its own bed by not being "able" to keep CM. Players come to play basketball for a coach, not a school. Going to be very hard to recruit now.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”