Jason Carter

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xavier71

Jason Carter

Postby xavier71 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Don't understand some of the negative comments about Jason Carter. I guess people want him to score more, but it's very hard to score when you don't get shots. Before the season started, a Xavier podcast person, I think his name is Rick Broering, but it doesn't really matter, said that Carter would have to fight to get shots. He said that Marshall, Scruggs and Goodin take most of the shots and he didn't see Carter coming in as a new guy and rocking the boat demanding the ball and shots. So far this year Marshall has taken 177 shots, Scruggs - 149, Goodin - 102, Jones - 135 and Carter 84. He's 2nd on the team in rebounding, 1st in blocked shots and he's committed fewer turnovers than any of the other 4 starters. He also had a great game the night Marshall was sick (note: I don't want to sit Marshall). No one is saying that he's having an all-American year but he is contributing in other ways. I agree, we need him to score more, but again, it's hard to score when you get 3 shots as in the Villanova game.
olsingledigit

Re: Jason Carter

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm

I have been critical of his offense. He has missed, it seems, a lot of bunnies that I would expect him to hit with his experience. He just seems to be a bit too cautious and doesn't seem to have his rhythm.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:22 pm

He seemed intimated during the Nova game. We need 12 and 8 out of him per game not five and four in 37 mins
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:19 pm

Good take 71.

I too think JC is better than his stats indicate, and think he plays better D than given credit for. He also makes considerably less mistakes (as your stat re: TOs show), and take fewer bad shots relative to the other starters, which are essentially turnovers. He still misses way too many point blanks shots, but is starting to convert more. Though Q took a step back last game, his previous four have been very good. I'd say the same for Carter, except for Nova, where he is neither a + or minus.

My only regret about your thread, is giving Hops another opportunity to take yet another unwarranted shot against JC. He's starting to get on my "posters who need E meter readings," and sadly, the list grows daily.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:19 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:43 pm
I have been critical of his offense. He has missed, it seems, a lot of bunnies that I would expect him to hit with his experience. He just seems to be a bit too cautious and doesn't seem to have his rhythm.
Based on his past history I give JC a little more time. I too think he has been tentative and that might be to being a newcomer. Transfers seem to need a settling in period. I even recall fans wondering about KK and Hankins' missed bunnies last year. If he comes around to what we believe he can be he will a factor.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:33 am

He can make up for the Nova game today. I figured I would make AH's list sooner than later.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:43 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:33 am
He can make up for the Nova game today. I figured I would make AH's list sooner than later.
He is an equal opportunity offender. I hope JC plays a solid game and hope he doesn't rush himself because of SJU length
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Is Donnie James taking over for AH’s guy JC? This can only help JC.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 am

skyhops wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 pm
Agreed.

JC is clearly a better player, but James contributed more the last game. This should provide more motivation for JC. I wouldn't mind him keeping his shooting hand in his holster, but I like his physicality. He has all the athleticism of TJ Johnson, but I can see him potentially contributing in certain situations. Andrew Taylor was serviceable, so anything is possible. Love the effort of both DJ & AT, especially considering their limited skillet.
X-man

Postby X-man » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 am
skyhops wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:01 pm
Agreed.

JC is clearly a better player, but James contributed more the last game. This should provide more motivation for JC. I wouldn't mind him keeping his shooting hand in his holster, but I like his physicality. He has all the athleticism of TJ Johnson, but I can see him potentially contributing in certain situations. Andrew Taylor was serviceable, so anything is possible. Love the effort of both DJ & AT, especially considering their limited skillet.
James has a good stroke. I got to see him in practice before the start of his freshman year, and he looked like one of the better shooters even from 3-land (granted that's not saying much). I believe that now that he's figured out the system and has gained confidence in himself and from his teammates, he will be an excellent guy off the bench. He's got a BE body, is physical, and he's not afraid to mix it up.
Last edited by X-man on Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”