Seton Hall Game thread 1.8.2020

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Seton Hall Game thread 1.8.2020

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 pm

Good point coach, Naji was exhausted and was gambling too much which hurt him on both ends. If Q or Scruggs can't guard their best guard we are in trouble.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:27 pm

XU85 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:48 am
Honest question: Are any of the core 4 better than the were a last year? Maybe Jones?
Physically? Yes. Bball IQ? I take the 5th.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 pm

joeabe wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am
If we played SH 100 times they win 99!! They are just a better team all around and that's a fact. We made mistakes because they caused most by speeding things up and for certain defending the rim. Their bigs destroyed our inside game.....making our guys adjust shots as they were driving to the bucket all night. We got frustrated and started pressing with outlandish 3's. But, then again driving to the basket became less of an option....they had 8 blocks!! Hell, Coach Willard knows X is challenged from the outside hence he prepped his bigs to be totally on alert for us driving the lane!!
Defense is another issue! I cannot speak to why we could not defend? Is it effort, talent, understanding etc? I watch Nova it seems Coach Wright teaches serious D techniques. They seem to" understand the scheme" and anticipate passes and intercept many leading to easy buckets.
I still have hope as we are in a difficult league with talent and seriously good coaching on every team.... GO X
Disagree. I think they are a 2.5 point favorite on a neutral court. Coaches and your alpha males determine the outcomes in virtual toss ups. Yesterday, Powell and Willard made the difference, despite the heroics of Scruggs and Carter.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm

thecoach wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:55 pm
In theory when you have a lot of experienced guys in the lineup(which is core 4/5 if you include Carter) coaches typically give them a little more rope. I don't disagree that he should use them more often, but i think he's had enough close games that he likes to save them if that is any revelation. I may take criticism for this, but having Marshall chasing a guard was crazy train. I think it hurt him/them on both ends. To me that was a bigger error
In theory,

I agree, but this team has a low Bball IQ, which many have opined. They haven't earned more rope, evidenced by chronic poor shot selection and turnovers. Steele often criticizes their shot selection and turnovers, yet, lets a 9-4 run turn into a double digit deficit before making a move. He's complicit in X's lack of consistent execution. I also noticed this when X played Nova. X took the lead, Nova went on a big run, and when X scored 4 points in a run to cut the deficit to 3 possessions or so, Wright called a T.O. This is an area of concern with me re: Steele.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm

BTW,

I have no problem with Marshall guarding the other team's best offensive player, as he is X's best defensive player. Marshall didn't slow him down too much, but Powell hit some tough shots. As long as he doesn't get into foul trouble, and doesn't get too winded, I'd always want him to guard the other team's best player. Many coaches employ this.

Two examples include Cage guarding Oden in the NCAA tourney in 08, and Tu guarding Stephenson in the Shootout in 2012.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 am

joeabe wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:31 am
If we played SH 100 times they win 99!! They are just a better team all around and that's a fact. We made mistakes because they caused most by speeding things up and for certain defending the rim. Their bigs destroyed our inside game.....making our guys adjust shots as they were driving to the bucket all night. We got frustrated and started pressing with outlandish 3's. But, then again driving to the basket became less of an option....they had 8 blocks!! Hell, Coach Willard knows X is challenged from the outside hence he prepped his bigs to be totally on alert for us driving the lane!!
Defense is another issue! I cannot speak to why we could not defend? Is it effort, talent, understanding etc? I watch Nova it seems Coach Wright teaches serious D techniques. They seem to" understand the scheme" and anticipate passes and intercept many leading to easy buckets.
I still have hope as we are in a difficult league with talent and seriously good coaching on every team.... GO X
i don't believe this to be accurate.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 am

My self imposed 36 hr waiting period is over. My take on the game:
1. Xavier has GOOD players, but they are not a good TEAM. Too much one on one, half court offense is not good, decision making is often poor. At times during a lot of their games it looks like their playing open gym in the summer.
2. Starters are playing way to many minutes. We used to wear teams down now it seems we're the ones being wore down.
Marshall should be getting 3 minutes rest each half for 34 minutes. Scruggs should be playing 30, Goodin no more than 28 and Tandy needs to be playing at least 24 minutes a game. TS has to trust his bench or it's going to be a long season.
3. 50/50 balls and rebounding were a problem. I know some people will say X got out rebounded because of SH's 7 footers, but Powell was their leading re-bounder with 9.

An elderly lady, who has probably not watched 5 basketball games in her life, did watch the SH game. The next day she asked me the following question. " When the other team is on, like, a roll, are you allowed to call time out?
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:37 pm

Great post 71.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:05 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:50 pm
Good point coach, Naji was exhausted and was gambling too much which hurt him on both ends. If Q or Scruggs can't guard their best guard we are in trouble.
The rationale to put your "best defender" is sound in my opinion if the qualities that make them the best are similar, aka the opponent is a freak athlete that guys can't keep up with unless they are also the most athletic, et. al Powell is a kid who does not get his advantage athletically. He's one of those guys who comes along and has a very high bball iq, and is well covered in Al Maguire's beloved "french pastry" game. I don't really see Marshall as having similar qualities in that i think he's very athletic, but more impulsive on the ball iq scale. Powell still gets above his average including missing a couple ft's, and basically i think we made it easier for some other guys to pick up points by putting him on a guard. The impact on his offensive game is subjective at best. Bottom line, if he guards him again away from home, that would not be good coaching strategy. Powell's going to get his points. You have to focus on the rest next time.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:07 pm

I think those are excellent points Coach. Seems that Powell will get his. Obviously you need to put a capable athletic defender on him so he does not go off for 42 but we wasted Naji and likely curtailed his offensive contributions. I do not blame Steele for trying this but would hope he comes to this same conclusion. Stick Q on Powell as who cares if Q's offense is diminished. Naji would be better served on the likes of Rhoden. That dude killed us with key baskets on drives or short pull ups, and also grabbed a decent amount of rebs, a couple of which were offensive.
At some point, maybe even soon, I believe we will have dissected this game enough and resolved all issues...! :lol:

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”