Coach Steele

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Coach Steele

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:17 pm

I really want to believe in C.S., but the team is not performing to the talent level, and he doesn't seem to recognize their strengths and weaknesses. He also sounds like a wide eyed AAU coach whenever I hear him talk. I listened to the show on Monday, and saw a pre-game interview on the local news (as well as other interviews throughout the year), and some of the things he said are:

-Markus Howard has 40 foot range. No one, , including Seth Curry and James Harden, has 40 foot range. If any player wants to take that shot, I'm sure the opposing team would gladly concede it. I would say it is hyperbole, but he says similar things so often.
-This could be an elite defensive team (his ad naseum tag line).
-Offensive sets make you more predictable to guard. That speaks volumes. Even the NBA runs sets.
-He said on his show that the "energy" on the bench isn't consistent. He apparently showed tape of last year versus this year, and noticed how guys like Hanson and Miles are consistent cheer leaders. This is what he is focusing on.

Every time someone mentions that either three point, free throw shooting, or some other facet is down, he resorts to his perpetual "Get out of Jail" free card: "I don't give a damn about.... Defense has to get better". It's as if he takes it as a personal affront, like someone saying his baby is ugly. It's a lazy answer, and his logic is built on a faulty premise anyway, because the defense ain't great, nor has the potential to be, imo. Their numbers got fat on KP 200 type teams, but since they've been playing offenses with a pulse, it is barely above the Mendoza Line.

Nevertheless, I will still root hard for my coach and team. However, the usually optimistic and lovable AH ain't so optimistic and lovable anymore.
skyhops

Re: Coach Steele

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Seven straight possessions with a bucket for MU. This team is lost on ball screens showing no effort on glass. What a mess
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 pm

Man, I really liked the Steele hire but I knew there was going to come a day when the administration would make a mistake, it was bound to happen. I’m wondering if this is it. This certainly isn’t Xavier basketball. I know we’d lose a good recruiting class but Christopher has some tough decisions to make. I know people will say a longer sample is needed but this certainly isn’t the program I’m used to seeing.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:00 pm

After the timeout and Carter settles for a 19 footer with no one under? That can’t be the play. Our effort on the boards is terrible and no reason to have Moore in their for defense if he can’t guard or hit a shot. Why is Scruggs still out of the game? Is he waiting to put him in for a run? We haven’t had a lead for a few games, give Scruggs the ball and put KyKy at the two
Hnoz

Postby Hnoz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 pm

I’ll I can say is embarrassing! Still no 1-3-1 zone which with our size is a huge advantage. Finally started to press which we should have been doing all year not with 2 minutes to go down 12. And our set plays aren’t very good. And finally Turnovers are ridiculous!
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Hnoz wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 pm
I’ll I can say is embarrassing! Still no 1-3-1 zone which with our size is a huge advantage. Finally started to press which we should have been doing all year not with 2 minutes to go down 12. And our set plays aren’t very good. And finally Turnovers are ridiculous!
39 to 23 on the boards right now. That's laughable. Effort, effort, effort.
Hnoz

Postby Hnoz » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Our Best 3 point shooter Zach Fremantle !!!!
FickforX

Postby FickforX » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:52 pm

No point guard and no shooters means X is horrible. If you can’t make any 3’s you can’t win in college b ball
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 pm

When a walk on freshman scores a three against you you know you are totally embarrassed. It has been awhile since we have had to suffer through these types of defeats.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
FickforX

Postby FickforX » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Back to being a mediocre mid major. Thanks Judas Mack

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”