Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

Re: GT vs X game thread

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 pm

All Good Wishes to Yuz, Muskieman!
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 am

Happy Birthday Muskieman! Sorry for the late birthday wishes. As many ethnic Chicago South Siders would say Sto Lat! (May you live 100 years).

Missed the X game tonight (will watch tomoorow) because we attended Creighton’s 83-68 pasting of DePaul this evening. The Blue Demons were without starting C Jaylen Butz and Devin Gage off the bench. It is doubtful DePaul would have defeated the Blue Jays even with them, nonetheless the game may have been considerably closer. Have to hand it to Creighton’s defense, which forced many Blue Demon turnovers

Fortunately, X’s win over Georgetown was a welcome result and made our evening.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am

After the dust has settled, a few thoughts, cuz this is a bball fan site & why not. Much needed "W" and I hate to have a "but" but aside from our early burst, we basically treaded water with an uninspired G-Town last eve. Do not get me wrong, loved the win, and our efforts helped cause G-Town to look a bit uninspired, so there's that. Our D efforts were tremendous. Especially Scruggs, he was playing perfect on ball D as well as excellent help/hedge/recover. T-Jones, Carter and Freemantle with a beautiful rebounding clinic including strong box out awareness. Naji played well, and aside from a few foolish charging calls, made more good decisions than bad. Kyky, nice to see his potential blossom with minutes and more PT. I would hope Q is able to earn decent minutes down the stretch as we will need him. Steele's "big lineup" experiment was a nice touch and shows the staff is willing to think outside the box. Moore, wow, such effort and solid D, the dude just cannot find a way to splash one ball through the net... But I like the kid's attitude and energy. All that said, amid the relief felt by notching a win, it is time to admit that the ceiling for this year's team is unfortunately much lower than initial expected. No crime in mentally adjusting to this, in fact, will make the rest of the season more enjoyable. We began the season believing the hype, that we were a solid top 25 team. As we approach Feb, we have morphed into a somewhat solid top 60 team. Probably NIT material although I will hold out hope of earning a 10'ish seed in The Dance. That's why they play the games. Not sure what is going on with Dontarius or Ramsey, but then Steele and staff owe me no insights. I am a true fan, thick or thin, just time to adjust X-pectations...
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:52 pm

Below is a link to a good article from BotP.

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/202 ... l-big-east

Not so coincidentally, the analysis once again mirrors that of a certain poster on this board. The attorney at our disposal for moderator related issues says he will file plagiarism charges, but only after his tree trimming and DJ business slows down. Anyway, it discusses how putrid the offense was despite playing a poor defensive team. It also discusses the insanity of chucking up 25 threes. Kyky's threes helped cover some of the warts, but it should be a signal to TS that his mantra of good defense curing all ills is not accurate.

Part of the flow was definitely due to Q's absence, as Scruggs is not a natural facilitator. It doesn't mean he shouldn't play point when Goodin struggles, but when Q play plays like a facilitator, and not a shooting guard, he is definitely X's best option at point. KyKy lacks the confidence to run point now, though that should only increase as he plays more minutes.

I suspect Q will make a miraculous recovery and play on Sunday. We need him.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm

In the paper this morning, there was an article about doomsday. I think it might be happening because I have always agreed with everything Anti-Homer writes......until now! I respectfully disagree with 2 points:
1. We need Q. With Q we lose way too much offensively and his defense has been really bad this year. Ky Ky is not much better defensively but he's a threat to score which pulls the defense out. I really don't know what's happened with Q. He has declined each year in almost every category: 1917/18/19, assists 4.9/4.8/4.0, Field goal % 44/37/32, 3 pt % 30/29/25
Free throw % 79/66/62. It's mind boggling. TS needs to limit him to about 15 minutes, or less, per game.
2. The same starting 5 will never be able to play against Creighton's smaller line up. I agree they might be hard to guard, but conversely, how will their small lineup be able to guard our big lineup. Also, we should be able to dominate the glass on both ends. I would start with the same lineup and if it doesn't work adjust.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 pm

My previous post should have read 2017/18/19. Didn't mean to insinuate that Q is missing due to his being 100 yrs. old. Although it might be possible for a 100 yr. old man to hit 1 of 21 from three.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:35 am

xavier71 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm
In the paper this morning, there was an article about doomsday. I think it might be happening because I have always agreed with everything Anti-Homer writes......until now! I respectfully disagree with 2 points:
1. We need Q. With Q we lose way too much offensively and his defense has been really bad this year. Ky Ky is not much better defensively but he's a threat to score which pulls the defense out. I really don't know what's happened with Q. He has declined each year in almost every category: 1917/18/19, assists 4.9/4.8/4.0, Field goal % 44/37/32, 3 pt % 30/29/25
Free throw % 79/66/62. It's mind boggling. TS needs to limit him to about 15 minutes, or less, per game.
2. The same starting 5 will never be able to play against Creighton's smaller line up. I agree they might be hard to guard, but conversely, how will their small lineup be able to guard our big lineup. Also, we should be able to dominate the glass on both ends. I would start with the same lineup and if it doesn't work adjust.
I have always agreed with everything Anti-Homer writes
X71,

I don't think I've even responded to a post this way, but in my four plus years as a moderator, this is one of the most insightful takes I've ever read (I only included the most powerful line). I actually, partially agree with your first your point. First of all, I am not suggesting Q automatically should be given back starter's minutes, but 18-25 a game, depending on how he plays. I've also said weeks ago that Kyky's minutes should increase, despite his defensive lapses, which are lessening. When Kyky is on, he spreads the defenders, creating lanes for the slashers, and more room for Jones to operate. However, neither Scruggs nor Kyky are consistently good enough facilitators to run point. Scruggs is too turnover prone, and Kyky is too tentative. Goodin is X's best option at PG when he limits his shots to unforced driving labs. He is strong and decisive with the ball, and is also a good defender.

Regarding the mismatches X can create with a bigger lineup, I think it is much easier to for Creighton to adjust to ours, than X's to theirs. Creighton can simply play zone, or even a box in one if Tandy or Scruggs gets hot. They'll still compress the lane, conceding outside shots to the three post players and Marshall. I'd also press X 90 feet with the big lineup played against Georgetown.

On the defensive end, there is no way X will hold Creighton to under 80 points if they have Free, Carter, and Jones playing starter minutes. X has had enough trouble defending Creighton with three perimeter players, and a 3 guard playing 4 (Marshall or Gates the last couple of years), much less a 4 (Carter) playing a 3. Also, with Creighton's perimeter style offense, Free and Carter will largely be 15-20 feet away from the basket, negating the height advantage for rebounding.

Creighton always has great outside shooters, but their top three this year have been their most efficient since joining the BE. Also, keep in mind that X won despite their horrific offense against a porous G-Town defense. Kyky's offense was able to hide some warts, but they only shot 37% from the field. Their defense is why they won, with an assist from their rebounding. However, despite the +10 rebounding edge, X wouldn't have won if GTown shot anywhere near their average. Again, the defense bailed X out of another poor offensive performance.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:41 pm

I don’t typically disagree with AH, but Q is not our best option at PG. His shooting, attitude, confidence, and decision making has been terrible the last year and a half and his stats show his decline. We stand a chance today unless we rebound and hit shots.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”