2020-2021 ???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

2020-2021 ???

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:06 pm

I thought ..maybe better to focus on the future , rather than the today???? Have at it!
Anti-Homer

Re: 2020-2021 ???

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:06 pm
I thought ..maybe better to focus on the future , rather than the today???? Have at it!
Too soon. Check back in to weeks. However, Steele's claim that Ramsey will play ANY GAME NOW is aging very poorly.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Anti-Homer, after a short sabbatical, I am back to completely agreeing with you. I don't have a clue about Ramsey. It begs the question about the entire class. With 4 returning starters and this great class, big things were expected. Freemantle looks solid and is improving with more playing time. Miles was red shirted which was the right move. As much as I've been yelling for more playing time, the jury is still out on Tandy. A few times he's looked really good, but a lot of the time he's looked really bad. Not even close to where I thought he would be. I see freshman all over making big contributions, especially after playing 20 games. Losing Bishop made me sick. There aren't many 6'5" guards. People said he couldn't shoot and wasn't practicing hard. As far as shooting, I'm sure he could make 1 of 21 threes. The practicing hard is a joke. That's on the coach. All practices are not try outs. Maybe if he had played a little more during our weak non-league games he might have had more confidence and practiced harder. I'm sure if Marshall or Jones slack off in practice they will still play. Ramsey played 3 minutes against Lipscomb. Bottom line this great class which came in with a grade of A is barely trending at C minus.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:05 pm

I thought Tandy looked great before he started making shots in games. Now he has me concerned. He has had a couple really good games but he seems to provide nothing when he isn't hitting his shots. He has to find a way to make the team better whether he is making shots or not.

Freemantle is a good get. He will contribute for 4 years.

I disagree on Bishop. He was getting way more playing time than the other Frosh and he looked terrible. I'm not glad he decided to leave as he obviously could turn that around over 4 years. Just saying his issues were not related to lack of playing time. Xavier just wasn't the right fit for him.

Plenty of freshman take a year to learn the game. Usually those are 3 stars and fringe 4 stars but some of the issue is likely related to team chemistry and lack of shooting. The freshman would likely look a lot better on a team with quality shooters, upper classmen making smart decisions with the ball and on defense. I'm nervous about the class but things could look very differently next year. Let's hope next years class is more game ready and this class improves dramatically for next year.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:29 pm

I thought we'd get a lot more out of this freshman class as well as Moore. Steele's future will be decided by this class and next years.I worry how future classes will be affected by missing the tournament 2 years in a row which looks likely now.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:45 am

No doubt, we are disappointed in this year’s results, so far. The Marquette loss, pretty much makes beating Villanova and Butler must wins for any post season consideration.Having stated that or come to that conclusion/opinion, looking forward to home games and watching high level college basketball with 10,000 others fans is still the best winter entertainment. We are fortunate to have Xavier basketball in Cincinnati.

I suspect next year a number of Big East teams will not be as upperclassmen dominant, as this year. They will be losing some high level scorers and big men. Although many XU followers anticipate the core four to all be gone. Remember both Howard and Powell returned to their respective team this year. I expect both Scruggs and Marshall to return. Neither are NBA ready, so unless they are influenced by Kaiser Gates’ decision or they like the money and travel opportunities like Sean O’Mara and most other recent Xavier professionals, a degree and one more opportunity to go out winners after four years of the college experience might be their best option for their future.

Selfishly, I’d rather have our own 4th year players over the grad transfers from the MAC or Horizon leagues. Our recent grad transfers have all been excellent role players. Except for Kanter and Hankin mostly 5th options—all good players, but none were first options. (Kanter had the luxury of playing with Macura and Bluiett.)

We have been told that we have shooters coming in next year, but we cannot count heavily on freshmen, no matter how impressive their reputation might be. We still need the senior leadership of Marshall, Scruggs, and Carter to mix with this year’s class and the three coming in 2020.

Although disappointed, I am still bleeding blue and hoping we still have some life in our team for the rest of the season. Could we have a repeat of the Chalmers/Sato team that knocked off the undefeated and #1team in the conference tourney?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 pm

I’m not sure that next year suddenly Scruggs and Marshall will become senior leaders. It didn’t happen with Q and the three of them have in many cases regressed from last year.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:16 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:32 pm
I’m not sure that next year suddenly Scruggs and Marshall will become senior leaders. It didn’t happen with Q and the three of them have in many cases regressed from last year.
I'd be really surprised if both of them are even here next year, let alone contemplate their role. LG i completely agree on your assessment of having a 4 year guy. It's critical. Being able to retain and develop players into your system is definitely the key. It's as hard as it's ever been to do for a variety of reasons, but the more i see of college bball consistency in winning is not completely wrapped around how many stars your recruits have. That seems to carry those only at the highest levels over time.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:46 pm

None of these players besides Jones has really developed the last two years and Jones is still limited. We have plenty of experience on this team.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:51 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:46 pm
None of these players besides Jones has really developed the last two years and Jones is still limited. We have plenty of experience on this team.
You know with a win like today and Jones playing as well as he did you have to say the talent has improved but the problems in the losses is maybe a desire(after all he as had very good games in NJ when Momma is in the house) or lack of perseverance. All through the ball, Powell shot that almost went in and tantalized everyone before it fell off shows us even te better players don't get the bounce all the time
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”