Marquette vs Xavier....the stats say

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: Marquette vs Xavier....the stats say

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 pm

Foul Line killed them tonight
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Cheered in Schmidt

Postby Cheered in Schmidt » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:53 pm

How many games are we going to lose because the team can’t make free throws?!?
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:07 am

Shot better from the 3 point line 11-23 for 47.8% than from the FT line 11-25 for 44%. Go figure!! These poor young men cannot put it all together. I really do feel for them as well as Coach. Go X
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:28 am

They fought hard tonight. A near miss.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:05 am

i'll get all the negative out first:

1. we are the dumbest team in America. i have no doubt. zero basketball IQ and i'm not sure how you coach that. Tyrique not shooting the ball on the last possession just solidified to me how dumb this team is.
2. pathetic that the other team loses their best player and one of the best players in the COUNTRY with 12 minutes left and you're up 6 points at that time and you manage to find a way to lose.......AT HOME.
3. stupid plays, stupid shots, stupid passes, stupid defensive moves, etc.

and in the end, if you make HALF your FT"s, you win. it's that simple. you're at home. make your ft's. they made theirs and we didn't. that was the biggest difference.

i don't know what else to say except that this loss has to be more demoralizing than any of the others. i'd rather get my a$$ kicked by 20 than that. i don't think this team will dig itself out of this one. i thought they would start doing that last night, but they didn't. they're not coming out of this hole. it's going to get worse.

i'll still watch every second and root my a$$ off, but it's going to be very hard.

strap in, everyone. gonna be a bumpy ride.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 am

That was a low point. Sub 50% from the ft line is inexcusable. Particularly when it was spread around to a number of veteran players at home. They're just not good enough on offense to blow that many ft's. Staring down 2-7 in the league right now as i can't see them beating SH up there on a short turn.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:53 am

Well laid out by 'Skip above. This one was just a knee kick to the groin. I could write my comments that would surpass War & Peace, but why? And who would really care? Wasted a nice performance by Q. Lousy call against Naji late but sad it even came down to that when they lost their stud with about 10 min to go in regulation. Sad that Carter choked 4 straight times at the charity stripe. So many limitations to this group. Yes of course the effort was decent and I will root my ass off the rest of the season. But we have become the birdcage liner of this league, almost overnight... Stunning.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:30 am

Blame it on poor players, poor scoring %, poor FG%, poor free throw shooting, poor basketball IQ, etc etc and now a so called quick time keeper???lol. There are 40 minutes in a game to win the game. We do not need to blame refs or time keepers, when the actual players are performing so poorly from game to game to game. The poor weak non conference schedule did not help prepare this team for playing really good teams. Just need to blame the coaching and the players...period! Losing close games does not make it better because losing is losing. They could win the BE tournament?? One regular season losing Xavier team actually did WIN in a conference tournament to make the NCAA tournament. But I give this team a " near " zero chance of winning the BE Tournament.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:50 pm

The cruel thing about last night was that on a night where Goodin and Marshall were hitting some big 3's, they were bricking some big ft's. I'll be real curious to see how many Goodin launches at Seton Hall.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Is there a reason why we have to post up our point guard at the top of the key in order to get them the ball? This resulted in two crucial steals, that got MU back in the game. Also, do we lead the nation in fouling the three point shooter? I think we have done that five times in the last game. Carter once again looked like a deer in the headlights again and missing four straight free throw inexcusable. Once again we abandoned getting the ball inside for terrible shots.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”