Bracketology

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Bracketology

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 pm

Selection Sunday is a little less than 5 weeks away, and X is currently projected anywhere between a 9th and 11th seed. We know this can change pretty significantly for the better or worst, but I obviously like the trend X is on now. The two foremost experts are Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm. Following is a tweet I saw documenting their ability to prognosticate the teams/seeds last year. As you can see, both did really well.

There a lot of hacks (more so than not) who put projections out, but many simply plagiarize others, or base it off of the NET, which is as flawed as basing it off of the RPI or Sagarain ratings solely. I will periodically update the standings of these two guys. Following were their results from 19.'

This was tweeted out recently, with the title of, "A fun little final Bracketology recap."

Teams in tourney correct
Jerry Palm: 67 (all but TCU)
Joe Lunardi: 67 (all but TCU)

Teams correctly seeded
Jerry Palm: 41
Joe Lunardi: 47

Teams seeding blown (off by 2 or more spots)
Jerry Palm: 7
Joe Lunardi: 4
10:59 PM · Mar 17, 2019
muskieman

Re: Bracketology

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:00 pm

The guys can make a good impression on Wednesday with a win because the away game quad one win would be one of the best this year. The D will have to be about the best we have seen, and the bench needs to contribute. We can't see Butler hitting threes because they are tough when they are hot. They are expecting bad weather, so if you are headed up 74, you might want to do it early.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am

my dream scenario at this point:

get into a 7-10 game (i don't care which seed or who we play)
that game plays the winner of the 2-15 game, right? i want that 2-seed to be UD and i want to squash their dreams of a S16, E8, and FF all at once. so tired of hearing about them. i know they're good but man would i love to beat them in the tourney and at the same time get ourselves to another S16.

here's to hoping.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:37 pm

That is a pretty big dream. Could X beat Dayton? Yes. Not likely unless they shot well from three, made a few free throws and didn't turn it over double digit times as they usually do. I'd love for this team to get to the S16. I hope for this team to make the dance. Anything after that is a bonus in my mind.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm

oldhoopster wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:37 pm
That is a pretty big dream. Could X beat Dayton? Yes. Not likely unless they shot well from three, made a few free throws and didn't turn it over double digit times as they usually do. I'd love for this team to get to the S16. I hope for this team to make the dance. Anything after that is a bonus in my mind.
we didn't do any of those 3 things and still managed to beat SJU and i don't really believe, after watching UD a couple times, that they are that much of a step above the Johnnies.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:44 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm
oldhoopster wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:37 pm
we didn't do any of those 3 things and still managed to beat SJU and i don't really believe, after watching UD a couple times, that they are that much of a step above the Johnnies.
I don't see X being able to beat UD in any way. Keep in mind, X is 1-7 vs top tier BE and 5-0 vs bottom tier. I realize that UD is in the A-10 but as of the St johns game X was 2-8 vs quad 1 teams and likely going to 1-8 with one of those quad 1 wins moving to a quad 2. Would love to see X beat them but for now, absolutely wish they aren't in the game bracket.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:23 pm
Selection Sunday is a little less than 5 weeks away, and X is currently projected anywhere between a 9th and 11th seed. We know this can change pretty significantly for the better or worst, but I obviously like the trend X is on now. The two foremost experts are Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm. Following is a tweet I saw documenting their ability to prognosticate the teams/seeds last year. As you can see, both did really well.

There a lot of hacks (more so than not) who put projections out, but many simply plagiarize others, or base it off of the NET, which is as flawed as basing it off of the RPI or Sagarain ratings solely. I will periodically update the standings of these two guys. Following were their results from 19.'

This was tweeted out recently, with the title of, "A fun little final Bracketology recap."

Teams in tourney correct
Jerry Palm: 67 (all but TCU)
Joe Lunardi: 67 (all but TCU)

Teams correctly seeded
Jerry Palm: 41
Joe Lunardi: 47

Teams seeding blown (off by 2 or more spots)
Jerry Palm: 7
Joe Lunardi: 4
10:59 PM · Mar 17, 2019

Update: 2-21-20

Bracket Matrix, who compiles metrics from about 35 sites including KenPom, Lunardi, & Jerry Palm(among others) has X with a seed average of 9.62. Joe Lunardi has X as a 9 seed in the West playing Rutgers. Jerry Palm has X as an 8th seed in the West playing OKL. Palm also has Nova as a 2 seed in the South. Let's hope their seed falls slightly after tomorrow's game.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:02 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am
my dream scenario at this point:

get into a 7-10 game (i don't care which seed or who we play)
that game plays the winner of the 2-15 game, right? i want that 2-seed to be UD and i want to squash their dreams of a S16, E8, and FF all at once. so tired of hearing about them. i know they're good but man would i love to beat them in the tourney and at the same time get ourselves to another S16.

here's to hoping.
LLS,

Here’s hoping your dream and my nightmare does not come true. Dayton has exactly two overtime losses at neutral venues against two top ten NET teams in Kansas and Colorado. They have the best player in the country, a 6’9“ wing who can play in the post or on the perimeter, and runs like a deer on the break. He avg.s 19/ppg., with shooting stats of: 62%/69%/36%. They have 4 guys in the starting lineup who average over 10 ppg, and all shoot at least 36% from the three. As a team, their shooting numbers are: 52%/73%/37%. They avg. 80ppg. and are one of the best shooting teams in the country along with teams like the Zags. They also have the leading candidate for the Nat’l Coach of the Year, along with Scott Drew & Brian Dutcher (SD St). I’d rather play Duke.
PaulHickey

Postby PaulHickey » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:48 am

I would love the oppotunity to play Dayton. Yes, they have a consensus top five lottery pick. Yes, the supporting cast surrounding Obi has been excellent. It would be a formidable matchup, a true grudge match. However, Dayton has lofty expectations for the tourney this year, while Xavier will be lucky to return after a one year absence. Nothing would make me happier to have Xavier, once again, put a beat down on the flyers in a big game. Plus, they are way overdue for a big loss. All those impressive stats you read are against opponents in a one bid league. In my opionion, the difference between the A10 this year and the Big east is substantial. There are no easy games in the NBE. As is stands today, Xavier would face Dayton in a 10/2 matchup. Much better than facing Gonzaga as some brackets now predict. Why not X?

Go Xavier!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:56 am

PaulHickey wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:48 am
I would love the oppotunity to play Dayton. Yes, they have a consensus top five lottery pick. Yes, the supporting cast surrounding Obi has been excellent. It would be a formidable matchup, a true grudge match. However, Dayton has lofty expectations for the tourney this year, while Xavier will be lucky to return after a one year absence. Nothing would make me happier to have Xavier, once again, put a beat down on the flyers in a big game. Plus, they are way overdue for a big loss. All those impressive stats you read are against opponents in a one bid league. In my opionion, the difference between the A10 this year and the Big east is substantial. There are no easy games in the NBE. As is stands today, Xavier would face Dayton in a 10/2 matchup. Much better than facing Gonzaga as some brackets now predict. Why not X?

Go Xavier!
All those impressive stats you read are against opponents in a one bid league
Irrelevant, considering how they played against elite, & near elite teams in Kansas and Colorado. The same things used to be said about X , Wichita St, Butler and the Zags.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”