Butler Preview

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
olsingledigit

Butler Preview

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 pm

Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
X-lucidity

Re: Butler Preview

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm

Thank you Digit. Now while we all anxiously await tomorrow’s titanic struggle, maybe someone ‘in the know’ can riddle me this Batman: is Mr. Ramsey trending for a redshirt year of the transfer portal?? And for Mr. James, is he hurt or back in the dog house?
Many thanks,
Sincerely, your Boy Wonder.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Thank you Digit. Now while we all anxiously await tomorrow’s titanic struggle, maybe someone ‘in the know’ can riddle me this Batman: is Mr. Ramsey trending for a redshirt year of the transfer portal?? And for Mr. James, is he hurt or back in the dog house?
Many thanks,
haven't seen him quoted on this lately but last i saw Ramsey was still "day to day". I"m gonna go out on a limb and say he's trending toward the medical redshirt.

as for James, i'm not sure it's the doghouse but most likely just the the other guys stepping up and playing better than him at practice.

sorry i don't have much more info.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Shannon asked TS about those guys, and he said they know they must earn it, and he said they would play when they earn it in practice. He had some nice things to say about each, so I don't believe there are any problems.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Javier93

Postby Javier93 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:46 am

Butler are 12-1 at home, and have put the clamps on recently.

Allowing just 62 ppg over last five.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:18 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 pm
Warm up for Wednesday

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 695050002/
SUBSCRIBER ACCESS ONLY
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:13 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:23 pm
Many thanks,
I doubt Ramsey is in the doghouse. I think he missed so much time due to health issues, and was only ready to go when conference play started. That's not the time for players to get acclimated, especially when you play in the BE. It would be different if X played in the WCC, AAC, MAC, or other mid-major conference. I suspect if Freemantle didn't' show he could contribute positively, or if X didn't have 3 healthy post players, Ramsey might play. At this point, I think a medical redshirt is highly likely.

James played solidly in limited minutes, but let's be honest: who would you take minutes from in favor of James? Solid rebounder, fair shooter, slow as molasses, but I really love his attitude and work ethic. Great kid. if he can't find minutes here, hopefully he can find it some where els) (see previous reference to mid-majors).
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Despite my excellent track record to predict scores, AH will refrain from tonight's game. I think X has better overall personnel, but Butler plays excellent team ball. Jordan currently should be a leading candidate for BE coach of the year, and in the 2nd tier of Nat'l COY candidates along with Scott Drew, Anthony Grant, & SD State's coach, among a couple of others.

I wish X would go back to putting Goodin in over Free., but I know that ain't happening. That being said, I think Marshall will guard Baldwin, Carter on McDermott, and Freemantle on Nze. The latter two matchups concern me. McDermott can get hot, and will have an easier time getting his shot off over Carter than Marshall. Nze is an undersized four, who is a very crafty scorer. Obviously, Carter and Free have a size advantage over McD and Nze, so should post them up when possible. Butler has a decent center, but as usual, is no match for Jones. Butler will pack it in, so X has to work the ball into the zone (tight, packline man) as they did against Providence, and create three point opportunities for KyKy, Scruggs, and Moore.

Tucker is the most effective player off their bench, and is Butler's version of KyKy: instant offense. I think X has an advantage with their bench. If X minimizes fouling (as they shoot free throws very well as a team), out rebound them as expected, takes good unforced shots, and Jones finds the right guys when they double him, they will be in 8 seed territory after the game.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Unless we get it inside our offense is brutal. Naji up to his old tricks again
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Big mistake by Steele up front putting foul prone Scruggs against one of the craftiest guards in the BE. He and Jones are X's only offense so far. They may not be able to afford keeping him out much longer.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”