Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:26 am

Maybe Steele is tone deaf. He continued to play Q who had a terrible attitude and no confidence at PG. You would think that he could probably do better in 30 mins than Carters 6.8 points and 4.8 rebounds.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:19 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:06 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:30 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 am

reaching out is OK. doesn't mean they offered him on the spot. same with a normal recruit. how many guys you think they "reach out to" every year? 30? 40? how many of those guys do they actually OFFER? maybe 10-15? how many guys end up committing? 4-5 at the most?

its ok.

no harm in reaching out.
Seriously?

X has two guys who will play at least 25-30 min a game next year in the 4-5 spots in Carter and Free. I know Carter will also play some minutes at the 3 position in the wildly successful three big lineup as well, which teams like Creighton, Nova, and Butler will have no complaints about. They also have two other post players in Miles and Ramsey who will be itching to play because they didn't the year prior. Then, they bring in a GT transfer (which I understood, since Ramsey's health is in question, despite Steele prognosticating from game 10 on or so that he would be playing very soon) who didn't come unless he had great confidence he would see meaningful minutes.

You really believe it doesn't cause any distress with the bigs that they brought in one GT big already, and now are seeking another? The fact that they are wooing Harrms, whether they get him or not, sends a messages that they have concerns about their current front court. My nephew told me X backed off of the stud guard from Radford who committed to L-Ville to placate Tandy and Odom. Now this. Steele has shown to be tone deaf at times, and it is on full display here.
ya know what? i am so TIRED of hearing how we need to "baby" these guys, because that's basically what you are saying, that the coach can't go bring in a guy for a year because he may "compete" for someone else's minutes? if a kid can't handle having to compete for a year against someone to EARN their minutes, well then, how mentally tough are they, really?

if i'm a player and the coach comes to me and says "we got a guy that makes our team BETTER.", well then, pardon me, but so the $%&$ what if he takes a few of my minutes, makes me work harder in practice, and in the end, makes me a better player. if our guys in that lockerroom can't see that then that's their issue.

Steele isn't tone deaf. the PLAYERS are if they can't see that the coach is doing everything he can to make the team as GOOD as it can be for next season. work you a$$ off in the off-season. get BETTER than the guys that you're competing against for minutes. that should be the mantra and if they all buy into that, the team should be fine.
Got it. So I have to assume that you'd also think Steele would have no issue if Christoper said, "You know what, i don't like the fact that you play three bigs against teams who have multiple, quicker players. Also, stop this AAU style offense of giving the ball to your worst shooter and most turnover player to run the offense. I mean, the results on the court in his 1st two years hardly instills confidence that this team is on a great trajectory (not that is it on a bad one), so I assume this discussion will be had sometime in the middle-end of his third year if this team is once again mired in NIT territory.

I don't think what you suggest is reality in the landscape of recruiting high caliber players (HCBs). The main reasons HCBs go to a school like X is to have a chance to play more than garbage time minutes (as X mainly brings in 4 stars), develop for the NBA (which is delusional for 90%, but it happens at every school), play in the tourney, improve their skill set, and to not give up on the 17 games into their first year (zero in the case of Ramsey and Miles).

It's been reported that UK wanted Tandy, but his dad turned off Calipari by stating to the press that his son wasn't going to a school with a pg on the roster, and possibly one more they were recruiting in addition to Kyky. X also took Odia instead of Lowery. Why didn't they just take both pgs? Because neither wanted to compete with another high caliber player at the same position if he could have a greater chance of starting elsewhere. X also didn't take Cumberland, because they had JP and Bluiett. Was Mack babying them too? Cumberland's' 1st choice was X.

The revolving door with players at X in Steele's 1st two years doesn't scream stability. Perhaps a way to mitigate this is to not show interest in every GT who has at least two letters in his name. When the product put on the floor at Cintas starts to resemble what we've seen in the almost two decades prior to Steele's arrival, then he will earn more rope. For now, 18 inches is about all I've give him. However, as always, AH will end on a positive note. The dude can recruit.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Spot on once again AH. There are a lot of excuses for Steele, which I just don't understand. Also, it is interesting who is giving Naji advice on going Pro. He might not even get to try out for teams and he is currently not even on most lists to get drafted. I wonder if this will effect Xavier's graduation streak.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 am

Xavier has TWO open scholarships and there is a good chance that they will fill one of them if they can land a player that will help the team win in the future. He has stated that they will probably be looking at players that have to sit for a year, and then play two or more. I doubt very seriously that any of the current players don’t understand that and are upset about it. There is still only 13 scholarships allowed, and Steele has said many times that he doesn’t like having that many top level players on the roster and eligible, because it makes it really difficult to get all of those players real playing time.

Fact is, they have very few actual OFFERS out to transfers. Doesn’t mean anything that they have communicated with a player, as we don’t know what shape those communications took. Even if they have communicated with 20-30 players, that’s still only a drop in the bucket compared to the number of players in the transfer portal (1000+ last year and probably an equal number this year). I’d suggest getting used to a revolving door at Xavier, it seems to be the norm for all of college basketball anymore. Players want to play right away and don’t seem to be willing to wait their turn anymore.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Get used to the revolving door? I won’t get used to that and others shouldn’t. Steele can’t keep players, yet we are supposed to get used to getting a D2 transfer from a team that won 5 games? I’m giving Steele this year but if after three years of no tourney and mediocrity it’s time to pull the plug.
letsgoxu

Postby letsgoxu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:18 pm

I don't know why you wouldn't reach out to grad transfers if you have roster spots available.

Frankly, I think we need a true point guard more than another wing or big, but there's a reason I'm sitting here typing behind a computer and not in Steele's office right now as head coach.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:50 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 pm
Get used to the revolving door? I won’t get used to that and others shouldn’t.

Steele can’t keep players, yet we are supposed to get used to getting a D2 transfer from a team that won 5 games?

I’m giving Steele this year but if after three years of no tourney and mediocrity it’s time to pull the plug.
Your wasting your time if you refuse to see that college players transferring MORE and MORE often is going to happen. There are 345 D1 schools and almost 1000 D1 transfers...that’s about 3 PER SCHOOL on average...last year and this year. No reason to believe that is going to slow down just because you don’t like it. You keep blaming Steele for not keeping players. News Flash....it is a problem EVERYWHERE! And when they make it allowable for ALL players to transfer 1X during their career, without having to sit out a year, it’s going to be even more prevalent.

If he brought in a backup from a team that won 25 games, would you feel better? If a kid can play, he can play. Can’t judge a player only by how good the team he plays on does. Been lots of great players that had the bad fortune to play on terrible teams that lost a lot of games. Doesn’t make them any less great. Also there have been a lot of mediocre players that had the fortune to play on teams that won a lot of games, with them not contributing much. Why not give him a chance to prove he can play?

Do you really believe that anything you say or do makes one bit of difference in his employment status? You’re “giving Steele this year”? How kind of you (sarcasm). Like anything you, or I, or anyone here says or does will determine if he is coaching after next year.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:00 pm

Do I think that what I say has anything to do with Steele’s employment? You mean he doesn’t read Musketeer Madness? I know you have to disagree with me on everything and be a Steele jock sniffer, so I’ll just leave it be. I do think it is an issue when we have so many scholarships they have to get a D2 transfer all the while never really giving a player like James go, who was actually a valued recruit. Maybe Steele will grow a pair this year and not let the inmates run the asylum.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:20 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:00 pm
Do I think that what I say has anything to do with Steele’s employment? You mean he doesn’t read Musketeer Madness? I know you have to disagree with me on everything and be a Steele jock sniffer, so I’ll just leave it be. I do think it is an issue when we have so many scholarships they have to get a D2 transfer all the while never really giving a player like James go, who was actually a valued recruit. Maybe Steele will grow a pair this year and not let the inmates run the asylum.

Hey man...You’re the one that brought up Steele, I didn’t say a word about him in my post this morning, other than that he has said that he doesn’t like having 13 scholarship players because it’s hard to find playing time for all of them. You seem to take every chance you can to take a shot at him. You come across as someone that thinks that their opinions really influence his future or the future of Xavier basketball. I’d suggest sticking to the subject...which was a 7-2 Center possibly transferring in...and not Coach Steele. Try sticking to the subject and not just sticking it to Steele all the time.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:51 am

Once again this is a message board not a direct hotline to Coach Steele. I report things I hear from sources around the program such as Naji leaving, Q having a terrible attitude & no confidence, etc which were all true. Who wouldn’t be critical of Steele when you lose your last three games with a veteran team and are heading for your three year in a row without a NCAA tourney. Sounds like I have higher expectations for my alma mater. The Purdue transfer is not coming to X, FYI. If we are relying on Transfers we are in trouble just ask Bryce Moore.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”