Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops
Posts: 2666
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby skyhops » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:59 am

Good point.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:33 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Pro sports are always trying to upgrade a position so a college coach looking for more competition should try to upgrade positions. If you think Miller, Thadd or Chris wasn't always looking and talking to players, or even bringing them in you are wrong. Sometimes you have to look at a guy because even if you don't get him the first time you may get him a second time around and if you play him you might have learned something that might help you. I know early successful X coaches that wouldn't even try to get the four-star player. Having lunch with a former assistant, now a head coach, and asking him about the head coach's philosophy on recruiting I was stunned that the head coach would not even try for a better player. When he went on from X he failed because he would not take the chance to reach for better players. As for players' opinions, most think they are the best and a little competition is better for them. Sometimes it is the parents that cause a coach to hesitate but as a coach gains experience that is less frequent.

I am glad the TS doesn't let the fans determine his career success or failure. It is one thing to criticize a coach and another to rag on him for everything but that is what makes this country great, we can all express our opinions. Happy Easter and stay healthy.
I am glad the TS doesn't let the fans determine his career success or failure.

His way thus far is, shall we say, underwhelming.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:35 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:26 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:21 pm
kyzrex wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:24 pm
I wonder....do the players at Kentucky, NC, Duke get upset when the coaches recruit another top 10 player to the squad?
Convoluted way to interpret the original premise, but I'll bite. Again, if it is a position OF NEED, I doubt it. However, if the coach goes out and brings in two players at the position they play when they already have 4-5 players at said position, me says yes. Stated yet again, this is especially true if the players are GT, unless you believe the GTs are being brought in to be mainly practice players.

However, Steele's penchant of playing a bunch of bigs at once may be at play here. If we play four or five bigs at the same time instead of three, I'll take back everything I said, because I'd love this lineup. The likes of Charlie Moore, Justin Moore, Gillespie, and the Creighton guards won't stand a chance. X can now just throw the ball to Haarms, Ramsey, or Free with 15 seconds on the clock at the top of the key, and "tell him to create." I mean, it has worked so well the last two years. Genius!
i'll say this again, in regards to Haarms - he REACHED OUT. that's it. nothing more. X didn't even make the list of his top 25 schools so WHAT is the issue here? as i've stated - no HARM (pun intended) in reaching out.

in regards to our lineup for next season, i don't see us playing 3 bigs unless you count Carter as a "big". He can play the 3 if we have to but i don't see who would be at 4 and 5 with him in: Freemantle and who else? the D2 guy? I don't know. I'm guessing the 3 bigs was more out of necessity this past season, not a "this is how we are going to play from now on" kind of deal.
Great point. I have no idea why some college coaches who only "reached" out to recruits with inducements are getting hassled by the NCAAs. They didn't accept the offer, so no HARM (no pun intended here).
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:39 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 pm
that dude from WSU had X in his last 4. picked Texas Tech.

not sure if Steele has any other offers out there to transfers or not but i'm guessing that might be IT for this team for next season.
not sure if Steele has any other offers out there to transfers
Is this a serious question? 35% of X's athletic budget is going towards paying the overage fines for his excessive texting.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:48 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:58 pm
well, I did read in a linked article last week that a key factor in Burton's decision was going to be "player development"..........

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAE
BTW, Ohio State somehow got into the final mix and NCAA tournament history seems to have an important part.
Yea, unfortunately, recent tournament success obviously can’t be an arrow in X’s recruiting quiver in Steele's brief era, though i'm very optimistic that will change this year if we can bring in two 7 footers who want to play wing.
well, I did read in a linked article last week that a key factor in Burton's decision was going to be "player development"...
This and the previous statement are two reasons why this coming season is a very critical year for Steele and X.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5599
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:54 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 pm
Is this board really complaining about seeking too much talent? Wow...maybe we should try to make the tournament before we freak out about losing 3 star players.
Someone was complaining about too much talent? Pray tell, who was that? I will say X screwed up by not recruiting three guys who played Tre's position. We could have just cut his minutes down to 13.33 minutes. It's a matter of talent-SKILL distribution, not acquisition. Did you not watch the last two years? Talent was there as evidenced by virtually every player in the top 8 being ranked in the 150. Despite that, they were crossing their fingers for a 3 seed in the NIT. I ain't a good golfer, but it's kind of like having a lot of good woods and a putter, but a scarcity of good irons.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23154
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Purdue's 7 foot 2 inch center to transfer

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:12 pm

Matt Haarms has committed to BYU over Kentucky and Texas Tech.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests