Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
rickf

Re: Who has the better program: Xavier or UC?

Postby rickf » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:23 am

The best program for most people will be the one that is doing the best that year
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:13 am

Over the course of the entire history of the rivalry between the Muskies and Bearcats, one would have to give the nod to the Bearcats for the following reasons:
1. They have more victories than XU over the entire history of the rivalry.
2. During their entire history of D-1 basketball the Bearcats have advanced farther in the NCAA Tourney than Xavier reaching the Final Four at least three times and winning the Championship on two occasions (neither of which was won while Oscar Robertson was a member of the team!!!).
3. The Bearcats have managed to be successful in most seasons while playing in arguably tougher conferences during most seasons up until they landed in the AAC while the Muskies played in the Big East.
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm

Uc football if Fickell stays. Football still rules the day, and what he has done is amazing i think even to opposing fans. The talent he's brought in i never thought we would see in this city. Not to mention he's a really good guy and staunch Catholic. Contrast where Cincy and Uconn football went with the same circumstances. He's to be commended.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm
Uc football if Fickell stays. Football still rules the day, and what he has done is amazing i think even to opposing fans. The talent he's brought in i never thought we would see in this city. Not to mention he's a really good guy and staunch Catholic. Contrast where Cincy and Uconn football went with the same circumstances. He's to be commended.
First of all,

For full disclosure,UC Bearcats aren’t my favorite team. They are only my 3rd favorite, but I’ll still try and be objective. Coach, Fickell has done an “amazing” job? Child please. I really like him personally, as I think he is genuinely a really good man, the complete opposite of charlatans like Tubberville. But his three years are as follows:

2017 4-8 record with 3 top 50 games. Obviously, this yr has to come with an asterisk due to Tuberville’s lackluster recruiting, but with their putrid schedule, a 500 winning percentage was feasible.

2018 11-2 record, with 3-4 top 50 games. Beat VA Tech by 4. Va Tech ended up 6-7.

2019 11-3 with 4-5 top 50 games. Beat BC 38-6 in a bowl game. Bos College was 6-7.

Caveat: I did not look out the exact ranking of every team, but believe the number of Top 50 games are correct.

He has UC on a nice trajectory, but until they can prove to win consistently against good teams, and schedule like a non-mid major, they will be bunched with ten or so other mid-majors who try and reach the heights of the elite mid-major, Boise State. I don’t think they’d crack the top 4-5 of any of the major conferences, but with the improved recruiting, they can be the perennial tog dog in the declining AAC, with programs like Houston, UCF, and Memphis starting to trend down. Maybe I’m being overly optimistic, but one can dream.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am

I look at trajectory, and when in 4 years you can take a program in football out of the P5 coming off a bad run by Tubberville to having a decent chance at the football playoff that's almost a miracle. I follow college football as closely as basketball, and the bigger thing other than wins and losses is the kids he's bringing in here. Ohio is an underrated state as far as ranking kids, and folks who recruit players know that. He's bringing in top 50 classes with a lot of Ohio talent which in reality are even better than their ranking. I think he'll play anybody they can schedule, and he's got some good out of conference teams in future years. The way the playoff is constructed there aren't a lot of teams that are going to want to play them, particularly home and away. However, that league is not bad at all in football, and has had multiple top 25 teams so it's set up well to always have the top G5 team. He likely will lose the Dc Freeman this year or next, but Fickell is much, much smarter than the Osu guys gave hime credit for. My guess is he has plan B with D coordinator already in mind if he loses him to a head coaching job. They've done a great job of building a defensive team around a ton of defensive backfield talent, and it's paid dividends quickly. It's interesting to watch, as that job is a much better position than it was perceived. He's making 3.6mm and has not near the pressure to win you have in a lot of the P5 jobs. Plus, you get to live in a relatively nice city comparted to an outlier college town. Be interesting to see how long he stays, but his kid at Moeller is with him next year so he may be in for a long run. I'd love for the guy to get a shot at the playoffs. He's the real deal, and a good guy on top of it. If i was a football coach nowadays, i'd much rather have a long run at a school and make 3 or 4mm for 10 or 15 years and have a chance to win every year. Outside of handful of P5 jobs, that's a tough thing to do.

There has always been a lot of chatter around this city over the years that if you could keep even a decent portion of the local talent around in college you could put together a heck of a team. He's actually playing that out with a somewhat wider net given his connections up north. It's nice to have competitive football to follow as I long ago gave up on the Brown family for obvious reasons, and i've never been an Osu fan as they have always been the two ton bully in the room whether your X, Uc or any other local school. For those who love football, it's nice to see, and something to follow in these crazy times.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:46 am

When I was a freshman at Xavier the local papers had something called The Dunkel Ratings. According to Dunkel UC was ranked Number One in the Country. Therefore it was a lot of fun to go to UC Stadium with the Musketeer Band and watch Xavier beat UC by a good score.
We were posted right down at the edge of the field, and in the last game minutes Xaver players were grinning at UC receivers as they knocked down those desperation passes.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:34 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:17 am
I look at trajectory, and when in 4 years you can take a program in football out of the P5 coming off a bad run by Tubberville to having a decent chance at the football playoff that's almost a miracle. I follow college football as closely as basketball, and the bigger thing other than wins and losses is the kids he's bringing in here. Ohio is an underrated state as far as ranking kids, and folks who recruit players know that. He's bringing in top 50 classes with a lot of Ohio talent which in reality are even better than their ranking. I think he'll play anybody they can schedule, and he's got some good out of conference teams in future years. The way the playoff is constructed there aren't a lot of teams that are going to want to play them, particularly home and away. However, that league is not bad at all in football, and has had multiple top 25 teams so it's set up well to always have the top G5 team. He likely will lose the Dc Freeman this year or next, but Fickell is much, much smarter than the Osu guys gave hime credit for. My guess is he has plan B with D coordinator already in mind if he loses him to a head coaching job. They've done a great job of building a defensive team around a ton of defensive backfield talent, and it's paid dividends quickly. It's interesting to watch, as that job is a much better position than it was perceived. He's making 3.6mm and has not near the pressure to win you have in a lot of the P5 jobs. Plus, you get to live in a relatively nice city comparted to an outlier college town. Be interesting to see how long he stays, but his kid at Moeller is with him next year so he may be in for a long run. I'd love for the guy to get a shot at the playoffs. He's the real deal, and a good guy on top of it. If i was a football coach nowadays, i'd much rather have a long run at a school and make 3 or 4mm for 10 or 15 years and have a chance to win every year. Outside of handful of P5 jobs, that's a tough thing to do.

There has always been a lot of chatter around this city over the years that if you could keep even a decent portion of the local talent around in college you could put together a heck of a team. He's actually playing that out with a somewhat wider net given his connections up north. It's nice to have competitive football to follow as I long ago gave up on the Brown family for obvious reasons, and i've never been an Osu fan as they have always been the two ton bully in the room whether your X, Uc or any other local school. For those who love football, it's nice to see, and something to follow in these crazy times.

Agree 100%. If X had a football team, I’d buy tickets and support them. Since they don’t, and I love college football, I support UC football and buy tickets. I’d rather it be X, but it’s still a lot of fun to attend the games there.
#WHYNOTX?
JTG

Postby JTG » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am

Wow, this thread got off the rails in a hurry. UC football ? Really ? People who say they are fans of both schools strike me as being from the " everyone should get a trophy crowd ".
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 am

"That's what I like about posting up here at "Men's Basketball." Somebody posts a subject, and I can jump in and before ya know it, we're off the rails. I post a lot down at "Movies Music and Food" and I'm the only one who reads my stuff, and so of course I have to stick with my subject and never go off the rails. But up here, wow, I can go anywhere off the rails and pretty much say anything, and Muskieman, he don't care.
Going off the rails is the best fun. And who the heck wants to write about food anyway?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:07 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 am
"That's what I like about posting up here at "Men's Basketball." Somebody posts a subject, and I can jump in and before ya know it, we're off the rails. I post a lot down at "Movies Music and Food" and I'm the only one who reads my stuff, and so of course I have to stick with my subject and never go off the rails. But up here, wow, I can go anywhere off the rails and pretty much say anything, and Muskieman, he don't care.
Going off the rails is the best fun. And who the heck wants to write about food anyway?
Oh yes he does and this thread is about to be moved. I gave it a chance but abusing my largess has its limits. ;) ;) ;) :twisted:
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”