National Championship Game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

National Championship Game

Postby X-Expert » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Sorry to post here but wanted your thoughts. Before the game, I thought there were basically two tiers. (1) Alabama, OSU, Clemson (2) ND, Georgia (at full strength), and Oklahoma but now i would say it is Alabama in a tier by themselves. Alabama was ridiculously dominant. I knew OSU didn't have a great D but i thought after the Clemson game, they had a chance.
MOSQUETERO

Re: National Championship Game

Postby MOSQUETERO » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:45 pm

They did have a chance but it was slim. It was fitting that they basically played a fraction of the game. My disdain for them grew after the 2007 game at Rupp Arena. I went to the boards to read what they said about us and it wasn't nice so now I root against them every time. I can't be alone. I wonder if Marquette fans root for Wisconsin when it comes to football.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Sorry to post here but wanted your thoughts. Before the game, I thought there were basically two tiers. (1) Alabama, OSU, Clemson (2) ND, Georgia (at full strength), and Oklahoma but now i would say it is Alabama in a tier by themselves. Alabama was ridiculously dominant. I knew OSU didn't have a great D but i thought after the Clemson game, they had a chance.
Bama is the best team I've seen in my eight decades of watching CFB. However, I have to ask: Were you wearing your Bulldog's sweatshirt while typing this, or sitting in your car with the engine running in the garage?

After Bama, the distant 2nd tier includes in this order:

OSU
Clemson
ND
A & M (9-1 in the best league and beat Fla).
Florida: 9-4, but three of three of their losses came against top 7 teams, and they beat GA at full strength by 16.
Okl: 9-2, but they beat a Florida team by 4 TDs who were missing 14 or so players. I think Fla wins at full strength. They took Ala to the wire.
GA 9-2. Their schedule was much easier than Fla's, and their best conference win was against 5-4 Missouri. Cincy was their best win overall, but as hard a it is to be objective, my boy's SOS was by far the worst of the teams on this list. More on this.

3rd tier:
Indiana
BYU
Cincy
Coastal Carolina

After Indiana, the next three teams had 3 losses cumulatively. However, it's like comparing kids in honors classes with ones in regular classes. I was an honors student at Phoenix University, but somehow in my job interviews, the employers thought candidates from Duke, Cornell, and Lehigh had better academic records than mine, even though I had a higher EPA. The other schools used the archaic metric for grades, the GPA, whereas P.U., my graduate alma mater after XU used a better, new one: Effort Point Average.

BYU's record was poor, but throttled the third best team in the AAC by 35 in a bowl game.

UC's record was impeccable in the regular season, but their best win was against a team who lost in a bowl game against 3-7 Miss St., and their sole loss was a team missing 10 players. UC was missing 2 of the same caliber. We see how that worked out for FLA. However, I'm proud of my Cats, and am a big fan of Fickell and Ridder, as a coach/player and people. Class acts, the both of them.

No idea how CC did.

X-Expert, when are you going to start a poll on the best matadors? I already have my top 6 in mind, though it will surely cause a lot of controversy.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:48 pm

Good for UC fans because Fickel signing his son likely assured him of staying at least four years. He’s done an amazing job. I think they play osu next year so that should be interesting. UC will be good next year but playing in the GCL makes it hard to evaluate with their SOS. I did think Georgia was very good at full strength. With Alabama, OSU, and Clemson losing QBs perhaps next year different teams will be on top. I say that name but by this tine next year, it will be the same 3 teams.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

Anti-Homer, so did you study Bull Fighting at Phoenix? Looking forward to your six best.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”