Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xeus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby xeus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:06 pm

No, I know Xman95. I really never post here but I do check it out to keep up with muskieman and a few others.

I probably should have known better than to read a Gary thread after a bad loss. Lesson learned.

See you on xavierhoops.com!
Welcome fellow scholars.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. I've overreacted before, and I'll probably overreact again.
I'm an imperfect human being, I'll freely admit.

So, if I hurt anyone's feelings, I apologize. Now, I'll patiently await the guys who hurt my (and my family's) feelings to apologize as well. Not likely.

It would be nice if we'd all agree on things, but we don't. Or if we all reacted the same way, but we don't. We somehow expect the other guy to react just like we do, but that's unrealistic.

So, if you want to shoot me, have at it. I'm sure I deserve it for something, if not this.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Xman95
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:40 am
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby Xman95 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:00 pm

Gary, not that you would be losing sleep over it one way or the other, but I'm still planning on chatting with you here. Hope that helps!
"I was in Dayton, Ohio recently. You know what is a fun thing to do there? Pack up and get the **** out." -- Dave Attell
MarionHall4ever
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby MarionHall4ever » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:26 pm

RONALD78 wrote:Xavier lost and that is it. 64 out of 65 teams in the tourney will have lost at the end. And after a few years few will even remember who won in 2008 if asked. Hey , who won in 1998,1999 and 2000...off the top of your head without looking it up? That was within the last decade. Xavier fans will remember this season as probably X's best overall season. Every season has ups and downs unless a team is undefeated for an entire season. Do we as fans wish they made the FF or won the whole tourney..sure we did. An Elite 8 finish is GREAT!! I will emphasis the positives of this season and not dwell on the few negatives. If you had been told before the season started Xavier would be at least an Elite 8 team what would most have said.....nothing positive I am sure. Suck it up and enjoy what we had...be positive.
Well said, Ronald.
“Send lawyers, guns and money. The sh*t has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon (R.I.P.)

If that fails, send the Jesuits 😎👍.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Normally, I sit back and watch the Gary against the world threads because I know Gary can defend himself. I think that I have a right to comment now as I was the second post and started this dialogue with Gary. I said his words were harsh and still do think they could have been tempered but I know one thing, Gary does want X to win and have all the success in the world. We both come from the era of single digits wins for a season and have seen the worse teams in X history. We just both have different approaches to our views.

I know of players that have read this board and their family and they know I know because we have talked. They don't mind a comment or two but piling on and taking the conversation below the belt as they say is unconscionable and I agree. Coaches have in the past told players not to read the board but many have and did before they came to X...it is the era of the internet.

I have been known to make the "Pollyanna" post and do not apologize for that because I don't think they are Pollyanna. Listen fellows players know when they have had a bad night and they are harder on themselves than most here but we also have the ability to temper our remarks because it is the right thing to do.

I see a lot of good people getting upset with each other over comments that just could have been ignored after their opinion was made and the thread would have passed into mm history. I will tell you that the board that is all honey and nice today will have a time when one two or more will start that baord down the road to bickering. New board or not.

Gary has taken heat for a long time and YES there have been posts about his family that make me sad. I don't like some of the things his sister says but I don't think it is a Christian thing to degenerate her or the family. Gary, himself, has been called a lot of vile things on this board and on other boards and I think that those that did it should apologize, especially if they call themselves Catholic or Christian. Alas, no one listens to me a voice crying in the wilderness.

I remember one night deleting post after post from someone that had a vendetta against Gary, in fact it took about 4 hours. This was done right after he had lost his girlfriend to cancer. I did it as much for Gary as I did for the other people on this board that do not deserve to read the filth. Gary is a grown man and probably can take it but should he have to take it, I say no. At that time I had no power to ban someone and all I could do was delete. I think 95% of you would do the same thing.

The one thing that makes me a little different is that I post in opposition to Gary(see posts 2 and 4 o this thread) and after a few posts Gary has made his opinion felt and I mine and what more can be accomplished if we don't want to change our mind.

Do you want Gary to throw himself on the floor and beg for forgiveness? Ain't gonna happen as the man says.
What would the board be without point and counterpoint. Now Gary remember I let you have yoru say but you should never forget, I am right and you are wrong.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

<<...but you should never forget, I am right and you are wrong.>>>

Point well taken.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
X-84
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:36 am
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby X-84 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Not everyone lines up against you, Gary. I thought much of what you posted in the second half Saturday. Mentioned to my wife that the only possible bad outcome of the evening appeared to be unfolding, she agreed. Would have preferred th boys give a better showing on their last stage call, I can understand why they didn't - primarily fatigue and stage fright, but that doesn't make it much easier to deal with for us and probably worse for them.

Your post was far, far, far away from a slam post. Anyone who would have been happy with the effort and production of the UCLA game for the WVU game can stand up and count themselves a liar.

Don't always agree with you but you're generally well reasoned and non-caustic. I think the reaction to this has been overzealous to say the least
gym from delhi
Posts: 733
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby gym from delhi » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:32 am

In some degree of support for gary, in the 50 years or so that I've watched X basketball, this team, competing in this landscape of college basketball, seemed to be X's best-ever shot at a Final Four; I share much of his disappointment, without criticizing any particular individual.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 539 guests