Lavender ...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeybaloney
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby joeybaloney » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:17 am

"And joey b, if Doellman was in a hip hop club before his senior year and said, "f**k the black patrons", he would not have been alive for his senior year."



LOL, that's funny. one of my best friends (who happens to be black) made the same comment when i brought up the doellman comparison. he said "doellman wouldn't have walked out of that club, he would have been carried out."

great minds think alike, huh?
Eastside_J
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Eastside_J » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:57 am

muskieman wrote:Eastside when Sean gets a dui's then we will start to talk about similarities. Remember from the Tape: police officer is heard to say, "You know we had you once before. You know that, and we took you home. Remember that?" Seems like Bobby got more than one warning. For good measure throw in a few affairs too to get close to the Huggin's era.

Players like people in general make mistakes and some are worse than others, example tying up a roommate and burning him with hangers or going to Columbus to kill him. Those things are bad for programs and when you tie it to the coach making mistakes like Huggins you get a pattern. If UC had a few players arrested here and there but promoted a program of graduating players then you would not have gotten the heat your program did. Coach Kelly from everything I have heard from him and others is doing it right and he seems to be succeeding, I applaud him for that and it makes it easier to root and support them. Will they have a few bad kids, sure but Kelly has three rules that can not be broken. 1) don't mistreat/hit women...Huggins take note. 2) don't steal and 3) don't lie. He says break these and your gone and other problems we will help you get through.

Muskieman,

Ahhh, you must be under the mistaken impression that I do not believe Huggins earned his dismissal. You might take that to heart because it might spare you the time and effort of trying to offend me with your comments.

Since you brought it up though, I take it you believe that Huggins DUI was serious and grounds for dismissal, this really surprises though considering I haven't seen you call for Kenya Hunters firing or resignation. I am sure you have perfectly good rationalizations, I mean reasons to share with me for that being a different case deserving different treatment.

Secondly in the last several years we have seen former Xavier players convicted of all sorts of serious crimes including a brutal murder, selling crack in a high school where the former player was a teacher and drug trafficking. I am sure you would agree that the first two of these are so much more profoundly serious than anything Donald Little did 7-9 years ago.
RJReising
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 am
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby RJReising » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am

The problem with your logic, Eastside, is that you are not comparing apples to apples. Obviously, the crimes that you are pointing out are worse than punching a horse. But, Xavier is no more responsible for what their players do years after they leave the program as UC is for Ruben Patterson's rape of the nanny. The level of immaturity and irresponsibility that led to Dedrick Finn's cocaine bust was precisely the reason Xavier kicked him off the team to begin with. And, as for the murder case you mentioned, Andrew Smith is a 30 year old who played a total of one season almost a decade and a half ago.

On the other hand, during my time at UC, we had several incidents that happened with active players at the time and little was done about it. While I remained a fan of my basketball program, I couldn't help but be embarrassed by its players and its coach. I would have loved for UC to take a stand similar to what Sean Miller did with Finn. But, as we both know, that didn't happen.

But, I think the whole comparison of UC vs. XU is now a dead topic. What Lavender did was stupid. Yeah, he was a college kid acting like a college kid. But, it was dumb. As a whole, Xavier still does things the right way. With regards to UC, I can say as a grad that I'm proud of the program that Mick is running. Graduation rates are up, Cronin is keeping his players disciplined, and once the talent level rises to match the program's prestige, all will be right in Clifton.
JimLoretta
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:26 am
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby JimLoretta » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:47 am

Drew obviously needs a friend. He screwed up and so did 99% of us. My Senior year there used to be a bar called Woody's located on corner of Reading Road and the avenue that joins Dana's (forget as I am down South not living in the Queen City). Anyway at about 3:00 AM, I go outside of bar to take a pee and a cop car comes by. I am hammered and start yelling at police. They want to know "what hole I crawled out of". I said, down here at Woody's. They said it can't be as it is passed closing time (2:00 AM). I said bet me you XXholes!. They follow me down and about 19 of us are celebrating Woody's last night as it was the LAST night they were open. They said you can't sell that stuff after 2:00 AM! The bartender (a good buddy) as he is pouring shots says, "We are not selling it we are giving it away!" We all did not get arrested. Cops laughed and we went home.
Drew needs a buddy. I am sure Fr, Graham will get him some help or at least offer. XU also needs to spin this PR wize so that we show we are a caring institution. Life goes in! Gorilla call me buddy!
Rookie
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26785
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Eastside_J wrote:
muskieman wrote:Eastside when Sean gets a dui's then we will start to talk about similarities. Remember from the Tape: police officer is heard to say, "You know we had you once before. You know that, and we took you home. Remember that?" Seems like Bobby got more than one warning. For good measure throw in a few affairs too to get close to the Huggin's era.

Players like people in general make mistakes and some are worse than others, example tying up a roommate and burning him with hangers or going to Columbus to kill him. Those things are bad for programs and when you tie it to the coach making mistakes like Huggins you get a pattern. If UC had a few players arrested here and there but promoted a program of graduating players then you would not have gotten the heat your program did. Coach Kelly from everything I have heard from him and others is doing it right and he seems to be succeeding, I applaud him for that and it makes it easier to root and support them. Will they have a few bad kids, sure but Kelly has three rules that can not be broken. 1) don't mistreat/hit women...Huggins take note. 2) don't steal and 3) don't lie. He says break these and your gone and other problems we will help you get through.

Muskieman,

Ahhh, you must be under the mistaken impression that I do not believe Huggins earned his dismissal. You might take that to heart because it might spare you the time and effort of trying to offend me with your comments.

Since you brought it up though, I take it you believe that Huggins DUI was serious and grounds for dismissal, this really surprises though considering I haven't seen you call for Kenya Hunters firing or resignation. I am sure you have perfectly good rationalizations, I mean reasons to share with me for that being a different case deserving different treatment.

Secondly in the last several years we have seen former Xavier players convicted of all sorts of serious crimes including a brutal murder, selling crack in a high school where the former player was a teacher and drug trafficking. I am sure you would agree that the first two of these are so much more profoundly serious than anything Donald Little did 7-9 years ago.
Last time I looked Hunter was not on the coaching staff.
Head Coach Sean Miller
• Assistant Coach Chris Mack
• Assistant Coach James Whitford
• Assistant Coach Emanuel Richardson
• Dir. of Basketball Operations Bill Comar
• Dir. of Basketball Admin. Mario Mercurio

No Kenya Hunter....BTW I didn't call for the firing of Huggins, or Keith LeGree the first or second time he had runs ins. I didn't argue against it when it happened and didn't act like some of the UC "faithfull". But then WE were talking about comparisons and how many times did the Huggins era have the headlines about non game situations in the community.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
MuskieCinci
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby MuskieCinci » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:58 pm

I saw this article about it on one of the sports blogs I occaisonally visit.

http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=5466
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26785
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:14 pm

RJReising, I agree with you about your present coach. he may have one or two bad apples from time to time but I think he will handle it a lot different and better then the former coach. Your football coach I think is also on the right track. It makes it tougher to dislike your program but then there is always some of the fans but you don't fit that bill. Frankly, those fans that still love Huggins are not real fans of the program just Huggins and never could see the harm he was doing. My sister lives in Portland and she was a UC grad and felt in the end that Huggins was making UC's name toxic on the west coast.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Il Saggio
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Il Saggio » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm

MuskieCinci wrote:I saw this article about it on one of the sports blogs I occaisonally visit.

http://withleather.com/post.phtml?pk=5466
Do not, under any circumstances, click on links to nude women on this site. If you do, your computer will become infested with malware or spyware (and they'll try to sell you a fix for the problem).
Ledgewood
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby Ledgewood » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:25 pm

hehe, i wonder how you figured that out...


yeah, it sucks that we have one of those guys now, but oh well. hopefully drew can get his s. together and keep playing without a whole life of trouble...
stewiex
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:49 am
Contact:

Re: Lavender ...

Postby stewiex » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:59 am

I find his racist statements a little more disturbing than being drunk with weed. Apparently Drew didn't look into the crowd very much and see the "white" people screaming and cheering his every move.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 855 guests