http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01466.html
Expect to see talented, dangerous, inconsistent Florida Atlantic teams in the near future.
Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
Had the good fortune to lunch with him several times. Found him to be a very engaging guy, and watched his teams play a sound game. Never saw any "inconsistency's" in his teams, even when they didn't measure up in talent with some opponents. Has won something like 65% of his games in a long career.
Was sorry to see him leave GW because he once told me that recruiting was easy there. "I just go to a few cocktail parties on Embassy Row, tell the Ambassador from such and such country how much fun it would be for him to watch a kid from his home country play, and bingo I'd let him do the recruiting."
He was very instrumental in persuading others in the A-10 to bring Xavier in, and for that reason alone he is high on my list.
Florida Atlantic has all the facilites in the world, a Prez who wants to win, now all he has to do is get some players.
Was sorry to see him leave GW because he once told me that recruiting was easy there. "I just go to a few cocktail parties on Embassy Row, tell the Ambassador from such and such country how much fun it would be for him to watch a kid from his home country play, and bingo I'd let him do the recruiting."
He was very instrumental in persuading others in the A-10 to bring Xavier in, and for that reason alone he is high on my list.
Florida Atlantic has all the facilites in the world, a Prez who wants to win, now all he has to do is get some players.
-
xukeith
- Posts: 3737
- Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:54 pm
Re: Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
Florida Atlatic is a low program w/ limited resources. He has job security if he goes above .500 for most of the time but it will be close to impossible for Mike to make a national spash coaching there.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
Not so fast there Keith.
I have had some interest in that school for a few years, simply because I saw a story on ESPN about them.
They just finished a $10 million renovation on their basketball facility.
Their football team (D-1) went to the New Orleans Bowl last January and beat Minihaha.
This year in OOC play, they will play Texas and Michigan State.
Their conference includes WKy, Troy, Arkansas St, LaLa ....
So, as I said they have the bucks, they have facilities, they have the Prez and they are on the prowl.
And, Boca Ratan (sp) ain't a desolate place to recruit kids to come to.
I have had some interest in that school for a few years, simply because I saw a story on ESPN about them.
They just finished a $10 million renovation on their basketball facility.
Their football team (D-1) went to the New Orleans Bowl last January and beat Minihaha.
This year in OOC play, they will play Texas and Michigan State.
Their conference includes WKy, Troy, Arkansas St, LaLa ....
So, as I said they have the bucks, they have facilities, they have the Prez and they are on the prowl.
And, Boca Ratan (sp) ain't a desolate place to recruit kids to come to.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Mike Jarvis back on the sidelines
Wise, my recollection of Jarvis at GW was that his teams never quite achieved what I thought they would have based on their talent level, and his time at St. John's was less than a roaring success.
He's a capable coach and recruiter, but I never thought of his teams overachieving. I could be wrong.
He's a capable coach and recruiter, but I never thought of his teams overachieving. I could be wrong.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1196 guests
