Good job MOR!
Q had the school and you had the name.
That wins you a dozen of square golf "balls.".
Spencer was something else. When he did the "hardship" gig, I remember quite a conversasion that year, most of it being, "hell, damn near everyone is a "hardship" case. The NBA opened that door then. I think it was the next year that Jim Chones of Marquette went hardship. Al McQuire (RIP) was quoted as saying, "I've seen the inside of his refrigerator. He needs to go pro."
Al never once bemoaned a player leaving early ... goes back to his youth of living above a bar and saying that his family was so poor that when someone tossed the dog a bone, "the dog called for a fair catch." God I miss him.
Is the one-and-done rule bad?
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
-
Masterofreality
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
- Contact:
Re: Is the one-and-done rule bad?
Al was the best. Even when we were students and gave him hell, he gave it right back, laughed and took it in stride.
My dad and I were at the Final 4 in Atlanta when Marquette won their national championship in 1977. That was before I began to abhor Marquette after DiUlio put them on a high horse. I was so happy for Al- his last game as a coach.
We should all be so lucky to go out on top.
My dad and I were at the Final 4 in Atlanta when Marquette won their national championship in 1977. That was before I began to abhor Marquette after DiUlio put them on a high horse. I was so happy for Al- his last game as a coach.
We should all be so lucky to go out on top.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
-
JKC74
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Is the one-and-done rule bad?
There was a one man show being performed around the US by an actor who plays the late Al McGuire and being promoted on local radio here in NY back in March by Dick Enberg his closest broadcasting buddy. I was shut out of tickets for it. I heard it toured in Atlanta and some other cities. I also heard that it was great and the guy who played Al had his actions, voice, philosphy and wardrobe down to a tee. There's no way you cannot love a guy who liked to ride motorbikes, collected toy soldiers and of course loved basketball. We lived for MU's visits to Schmidt FH in the early 70's. It was the EVENT of the year(s).
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1036 guests
