OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:32 am

Raise a glass: University of Wisconsin offers a class on that strange brew—beer
—Megan Twohey
November 10, 2008

Jon Roll, an instructor at the University of Wisconsin, wants to make one thing clear about a new course creating buzz on the Madison campus.

"This is not a course to help kids go out and slam beers on Friday night," he said.

Since the school announced it would launch a class this spring on beer brewing—one of the nation's first major colleges to do so—undergraduates have been scrambling to sign up, graduate students have been quick to offer their assistance, and medical students have been wondering whether they too can participate.

But Roll, who will teach the course, insists that has nothing to do with the school's reputation for beer guzzling, made evident by its No. 1 party school ranking in recent years by Playboy and Princeton Review, or by Wisconsin's binge drinking rate—the highest in the country.

No, he says, interest in the course springs from the region's long history of making beer. The course, in the university's bacteriology department, will focus on fermentation rather than consumption.

MillerCoors donated $100,000 in equipment that can make 10 gallons—roughly two cases—of beer at a time.

So what's going to happen with the final product?

"The students will sample it and critique it," Roll said. "But beyond that we'll probably dump any excess. We have absolutely no plans to distribute or sell it."
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
JKC74
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby JKC74 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:10 am

Typical Miller & Coors, going after College Students for their attention and money. This I guess is the icing on the cake complimenting their scurrulous marketing campaigns pointed directly at college age and younger impressionable kids. I just finished reading a tragic story from the University of Delaware where a freshmen died at a "Fraternity" party as a result of over indulgence. Merry Christmas Mom & Dad!!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Gary, many in our class could have earned masters and PHDs on the topic.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
gundun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby gundun » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm

I can see it now.
The class has a 3-hour lab at Dana's every Thursday night.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Could there possibly be a better class to have on a Friday afternoon at 2:30? Methinks not.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 pm

gundun wrote:I can see it now.
The class has a 3-hour lab at Dana's every Thursday night.
I think to make this class creditable the lab should be scheduled for Monday Wed and Friday with extra credit classes on Saturday...just to make it creditable.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:38 pm

I'd make the Saturday class start around 1PM, and then again around 5PM.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26817
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OT-Where was this class when my GPA could have used it??

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Mr. Neutral wrote:I'd make the Saturday class start around 1PM, and then again around 5PM.
That would be impossible...there would be no product left for the 5:00 class.

Danas would have to have a pipeline from the brewery.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1016 guests