No TV for me but listened intently. Sounded like a decent first effort with a lot of improvement room.
Sticky defense is obviously Sean's mantra early. The offense didn't seem to be on all cylinders yet, but that is to be expected with so many new players. The freshman haven't even been exposed to the full offensive playbook yet, I assume. Sean's postgame indicated that he was most disapponted in the free throw shooting, although he was happy that we got to the line so many times. The size and depth in the front line will make it a challenge for teams to score.
MOR is looking forward to being in the house on Monday night for Toledo after the Lew Hirt Society has a gala bash at an undisclosed location in the Cintas Center. I look forward to meeting and greeting my many friends, admirerers and detractors. We'll have an up close and personal look at this team and their potential upside.
A decent start
-
Masterofreality
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
- Contact:
A decent start
PAY THE MAN!!!!
-
brownlavender
- Posts: 345
- Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:36 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
I went to the game and came away very impressed!!! I haven't seen any stats yet but the freshman seemed to play a lot tonight. A few times the lineup was walsh, redford, frease, halloway, and jackson. I've been completely and utterly impressed by frease all preseason and it continued into the opener. He had his way all game. The other guy who really surprised me tonight was halloway. He looked much better then he did in the exhibition games. He played very very solid tonight. Redford looked decent there was a few times he wanted to shoot but kept team play in mind and didn't. He was 1-2 from 3 and made a few FT's. All in all we need to work a lot harder at the line. This isn't a typical X free throw shooting team. We should get to the line a lot more but make a lot lower % then in the past. If the young guards continue to improve with the addition of Mcclean, who had a double double tonight, we will end up a very very strong team this year. We have more scoring power then i've ever seen but as a young team there are still many inconsistancies. Here's to another great year at X!!!!!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
I liked the fact they had 11 TOs in the 1st half and 5 I think in the second. MOR you will love the big icehouse(Frease). Intensity, hustle, good head for the game and nice touch from the line. When CJ gets his FT shooting straightened out he will be a bigger horse than he is right now.
BTW I'd like to congratulate "Q" for his induction as an honorary member of the LHS, something the muskieman could never achieve.
And for those that think the muskieman is a pub whore I want to let you know that a fan came up to me tonight to get an autograph in his Xavier tale book. I told him I was nothing important and he said I was an icon. And it wasn't even a relative...they would have known better....I was flattered.
BTW I'd like to congratulate "Q" for his induction as an honorary member of the LHS, something the muskieman could never achieve.
And for those that think the muskieman is a pub whore I want to let you know that a fan came up to me tonight to get an autograph in his Xavier tale book. I told him I was nothing important and he said I was an icon. And it wasn't even a relative...they would have known better....I was flattered.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
madness31
- Posts: 2200
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:21 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
I watched the game and the slow start had nothing to do with the freshman as they were not in the game. Jackson does not look comfortable at point. The offense didn't flow when he brought the ball up. He looked good playing shooting gaurd so I expect Halloway to take the point very soon. Halloway looked smooth at point but mistakes will be made. Frease is legit and will get plenty of minutes. Love is improved and will also command minutes. I expect both to play aggressively and not worry about fouls knowing the one backs up the other. I also expect Miller to rotate back and forth regularly to keep each fresh.
Walsh is fundamentally solid and will be a very good roll player. Redford will have his moments and probably be a key backup to Halloway. Jackson will likely shift to shooting guard in the near future. I expect Raymond to start for awhile longer but I could see him become the spark off the bench.
Brown should have sat this game out. At the very least he should not have started and been used only if necessary. McLean looks great and will be a key component to this team. The big men should make it an easier transition for the guards.
We will dominate the boards this year. We will also force teams to play us from the perimeter as we have shot blocking from Frease, Brown, McLean, and Love.
CJ played strong but he should spend the entire week shooting nothing but FT. He knows the offense and defense so unless there are significant adjustments to make for the next game he should just shoot free throws.
We should have balanced scoring again this year as Frease, Brown, CJ, McLean, Love, and Raymond can all put up big numbers. Jackson will have his moments and Halloway might end up in the top 5. Assuming Walsh and Redford get significant minutes they too will contribute. Basically everyone on the team is an offensive weapon in one way or another. If the team plays smart and executes they will be a force. Too many sloppy cross court passes early in the game. Against a better team we would have had quite a few more turnovers.
I doubt Taylor gets many minutes this year but he seems fundamentally solid.
Walsh is fundamentally solid and will be a very good roll player. Redford will have his moments and probably be a key backup to Halloway. Jackson will likely shift to shooting guard in the near future. I expect Raymond to start for awhile longer but I could see him become the spark off the bench.
Brown should have sat this game out. At the very least he should not have started and been used only if necessary. McLean looks great and will be a key component to this team. The big men should make it an easier transition for the guards.
We will dominate the boards this year. We will also force teams to play us from the perimeter as we have shot blocking from Frease, Brown, McLean, and Love.
CJ played strong but he should spend the entire week shooting nothing but FT. He knows the offense and defense so unless there are significant adjustments to make for the next game he should just shoot free throws.
We should have balanced scoring again this year as Frease, Brown, CJ, McLean, Love, and Raymond can all put up big numbers. Jackson will have his moments and Halloway might end up in the top 5. Assuming Walsh and Redford get significant minutes they too will contribute. Basically everyone on the team is an offensive weapon in one way or another. If the team plays smart and executes they will be a force. Too many sloppy cross court passes early in the game. Against a better team we would have had quite a few more turnovers.
I doubt Taylor gets many minutes this year but he seems fundamentally solid.
-
somebody
- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
I watched the game on TV. Yes, MM, somebody found a way!
So I pretty much saw and agree with what everyone said here. And the funnest thing to watch was that BIG guy in the middle. WOW! I yelled out loud on that first play where he turned to the basket, moved that opponent bodily out of the way, and jammed the ball home WITH AUTHORITY. He will be fun to watch! In fact I was really impressed by all the new guys.
So I pretty much saw and agree with what everyone said here. And the funnest thing to watch was that BIG guy in the middle. WOW! I yelled out loud on that first play where he turned to the basket, moved that opponent bodily out of the way, and jammed the ball home WITH AUTHORITY. He will be fun to watch! In fact I was really impressed by all the new guys.
It's just what somebody thinks ...
-
Masterofreality
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
MM. Don't forget that I've been seeing the Big Frease since his soph year in high school up here in NE Ohio. I was one of the first to declare him the "real deal."muskieman wrote: MOR you will love the big icehouse(Frease)....
BTW I'd like to congratulate "Q" for his induction as an honorary member of the LHS, something the muskieman could never achieve.
I will be paying homage to the Muskieman on my trip on Monday night. I also have a special delivery envelope for you from one Wisexuowl. You know me. I did my best to get the Muskieman into the LHS, but the Committee blocked my efforts.
Wise, your package will be faithfully delivered. Thanks.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
-
Masterofreality
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
- Contact:
Re: A decent start
Interesting to see how it plays out. I really can't see BJ coming off the bench as a senior, unless Sean pulls a "Jedi MInd Trick" on BJ to convince him he's another James Posey. Dante proved last year that he could be a spark from the pine.madness31 wrote: Jackson will likely shift to shooting guard in the near future. I expect Raymond to start for awhile longer but I could see him become the spark off the bench.
The question will be answered, however, on the defensive side. Sean is all about the defense this year. If Dante is shutting guys down and BJ is giving up points, it may tip the scales.
Damn, I'm glad we're talking about basketball again!
PAY THE MAN!!!!
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 891 guests
