Hey MM, is John Gaffney on your list of great refs?
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... 118589/rss
Strange Ref Story
-
somebody
- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 pm
- Contact:
Strange Ref Story
It's just what somebody thinks ...
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Strange Ref Story
John is a CCA and BE ref although he hasn't done many BE games, so we don't see him that much but he has been to Cintas. He gave out 24 Ts last year and he averages 34 to 37 fouls per game. BTW the 24 Ts was his career high....maybe he is trying to make a name for himself!
His little travisty reminds me of a time Teddy Valentine did that to Skip. It was a game in Detroit against Detroit Mercy. The tip off went to X and X scored but was fouled heavily which was not called, Teddy was back peddling down the court as Mercy tossed in the ball into play ....he turned to Skip and said say one word and I will throw you out. I was sitting in the seat right behind Skip's chair and he turn,ed around and said to me and John Popovich(Ch 9 sports guy that use to do the game but wasn't because it was not being broadcasted on TV). Anyway, I yelled "don't worry Skip I will yell at him" and proceeded to yell (always in a respectful way) at him for the whole game. About half way through the second half he stopped and just stared at me like he was going to toss me...I turned to Popo and said(loud enough for Teddy to hear) "if he throws me out you are my witness and you will have a great TV Story". This began my "tet a tet" that I have had with Teddy over the years and he and I have had some great discourses before and during games. We had a memorable encounter again in Detroit before X's NCAA game at The Palace of Auburn Hills. We met at lunch which was very cordial and continued while the team was warming up....but that is a story for my book if a I ever write it.
The fans that sit around me at Cintas can't believe that refs will stop and talk to me....I tell them because I make it funny and never curse them. I also like to quote the rule book at times. Last year, a few of the fans around me and I got a ref to call a T on Pearl because I kept telling one of refs to look over at Pearl stepping out of the box and finally I said something about how the NCAA was trying to crack down on it and he was not doing his job, that got him to look over....then he had to call it.
Hey, what can I say, I have a brother-in-law that use to be a Pac-10 ref and we always have long talks about how refs. call games.
His little travisty reminds me of a time Teddy Valentine did that to Skip. It was a game in Detroit against Detroit Mercy. The tip off went to X and X scored but was fouled heavily which was not called, Teddy was back peddling down the court as Mercy tossed in the ball into play ....he turned to Skip and said say one word and I will throw you out. I was sitting in the seat right behind Skip's chair and he turn,ed around and said to me and John Popovich(Ch 9 sports guy that use to do the game but wasn't because it was not being broadcasted on TV). Anyway, I yelled "don't worry Skip I will yell at him" and proceeded to yell (always in a respectful way) at him for the whole game. About half way through the second half he stopped and just stared at me like he was going to toss me...I turned to Popo and said(loud enough for Teddy to hear) "if he throws me out you are my witness and you will have a great TV Story". This began my "tet a tet" that I have had with Teddy over the years and he and I have had some great discourses before and during games. We had a memorable encounter again in Detroit before X's NCAA game at The Palace of Auburn Hills. We met at lunch which was very cordial and continued while the team was warming up....but that is a story for my book if a I ever write it.
The fans that sit around me at Cintas can't believe that refs will stop and talk to me....I tell them because I make it funny and never curse them. I also like to quote the rule book at times. Last year, a few of the fans around me and I got a ref to call a T on Pearl because I kept telling one of refs to look over at Pearl stepping out of the box and finally I said something about how the NCAA was trying to crack down on it and he was not doing his job, that got him to look over....then he had to call it.
Hey, what can I say, I have a brother-in-law that use to be a Pac-10 ref and we always have long talks about how refs. call games.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
- muskieman
- Posts: 26817
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Strange Ref Story
BTW This year one game will have me yelling at the opposing coach not the ref....I bet somebody can't name the coach.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Strange Ref Story
Does he now coach in the MAC?
-
somebody
- Posts: 2501
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 pm
- Contact:
Re: Strange Ref Story
Great post, MM. You really should write a book. I promise to buy a copy and will want it signed!
And no, somebody does not know who that coach might be.
And no, somebody does not know who that coach might be.
It's just what somebody thinks ...
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 688 guests
