We should start to hear soon

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:35 am
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby kyzrex » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:55 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:34 pm
muskieman wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:19 pm
Jesseandrippers wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:08 pm


Already minus 4. If we lose our 5 starters, this could be a completely different team outside of Craft and Claude.
Hope Sean has some plans for some incoming.
Hunter may stay, but we now have 2 openings with maybe more to come.
Souley is gone but who else from the starting 5 + 1 (Hunter) has confirmed departure?
Kunk is out of eligibility too.
#WHYNOTX?
longliveskip
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:46 am

Kevin Reilly wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 pm
Losing Edwards sucks. I was a big believer in the young man. Seems like all the Steele guys are bailing. Edwards lost his confidence this year and was playing tight. I think he just needed some coaching and patience. I guess Miller didn't believe in him and He went looking for some playing time. I know most of the board didn't think a lot of him. I remember Hunter was a target last year. Anyways I will miss him and hope he goes somewhere that gives him 25 minutes a night
i liked him too but if he can't step outside the arc and become a threat then it's fine if he's gone. we need 4's and 5's that can stretch the floor more.
skyhops
Posts: 3703
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby skyhops » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:42 am

Edwards had plenty of opportunities especially with Free out and just couldn’t handle the speed of the game plus he had terrible hands and instincts. Sounds like a good kid but not sure what he did well. We can now put to rest that Steele was a great recruiter.
longliveskip
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:42 am
Edwards had plenty of opportunities especially with Free out and just couldn’t handle the speed of the game plus he had terrible hands and instincts. Sounds like a good kid but not sure what he did well. We can now put to rest that Steele was a great recruiter.
don't have time to go through every class/year right now, but who was the best player that Steele recruited/brought in (AS head coach, not as asst when he was lead recruiter for Mack), albeit freshmen or transfer?

without really thinking about it, my thought is maybe Nate Johnson.
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 1084
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:16 am

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am
skyhops wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:42 am
Edwards had plenty of opportunities especially with Free out and just couldn’t handle the speed of the game plus he had terrible hands and instincts. Sounds like a good kid but not sure what he did well. We can now put to rest that Steele was a great recruiter.
don't have time to go through every class/year right now, but who was the best player that Steele recruited/brought in (AS head coach, not as asst when he was lead recruiter for Mack), albeit freshmen or transfer?

without really thinking about it, my thought is maybe Nate Johnson.
He had a lot:
Freemantle, Odom, Jones, Tandy, Craft, Claude, etc…
Nunge, Kunkel and Hunter as transfers

Not to mention Tyrell Ward.

Look at the names above, was Steele’s team in the postseason outside of Boum but I bet we would have had Odom and Ward still.
longliveskip
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby longliveskip » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:29 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:16 am
longliveskip wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:52 am
skyhops wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:42 am
Edwards had plenty of opportunities especially with Free out and just couldn’t handle the speed of the game plus he had terrible hands and instincts. Sounds like a good kid but not sure what he did well. We can now put to rest that Steele was a great recruiter.
don't have time to go through every class/year right now, but who was the best player that Steele recruited/brought in (AS head coach, not as asst when he was lead recruiter for Mack), albeit freshmen or transfer?

without really thinking about it, my thought is maybe Nate Johnson.
He had a lot:
Freemantle, Odom, Jones, Tandy, Craft, Claude, etc…
Nunge, Kunkel and Hunter as transfers

Not to mention Tyrell Ward.

Look at the names above, was Steele’s team in the postseason outside of Boum but I bet we would have had Odom and Ward still.
i keep forgetting about some guys on the team now - obviously Freemantle and Jones would be up there and i'd put Jones above Free. I do think those 2 are better than Kunkel, Nunge and Hunter. Odom - no. can't have a PG who can't shoot outside 10 ft. Craft - no. Claude - jury is still out to decide on him. Tandy - never lived up to the hype, for whatever reason.

Ward - well, we won't know on him yet either.
X-lucidity
Posts: 1381
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:47 pm

all this is water under the bridge. Recruit strength or lack thereof means nothing if you can't coach em up decently. No logical person would argue we were in a better overall situation with the well intentioned Coach Steele. Let's quit beating that poor old horse. As for C. Edwards, I personally had seen enough to know the young man had some talent but was never going to be a positive contributor on an upper-crest Big East contender. I feel his departure benefits both he and X. Onward and upward. Going to be an interesting and exciting offseason.
longliveskip
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby longliveskip » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:26 pm

Colby declaring for NBA Draft. Godspeed, sir. appreciate all you've done for Xavier basketball.
User avatar
XavierBob
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:39 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby XavierBob » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm

Best of luck to Colby. I know you can declare and test the waters but his thank you message is clear/ he’s gone.
Kevin Reilly
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:32 pm
Contact:

Re: We should start to hear soon

Postby Kevin Reilly » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:14 pm

Congrats to Colby Jones. I am happy for him and I see a ten year NBA career for him. The Best Xavier player in the last ten years. Jones played team ball and was a great teammate. I hope he lands out here with the Warriors. Always played hard and gave everything he had. Happy the young man is going to be rich. You will be missed Colby.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests