Ohio-KY All Star game
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
Really? You think he'll start over Jason Love? Wow, that would be something, and a blow for JL, I'm sure.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
xavierj
- Posts: 143
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
He will not be a starter. Xavier has a ton of depth down low and there is a difference between high school and college when you play on the inside. Kenny will probably be a very good college player but he will be the backup center and will get about 15 minutes a game next season. He needs to get in a little better shape by hitting the weights and maybe drop about 10 pounds. He will definately be a guy who can come in and help you off the bench and not be too much of a drop off from the starters.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
Sight unseen, I have to agree, j. I see Frease backing up Love this year, and adjusting to the Div. I game. But if he's better than that, so be it.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Il Saggio
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
How does he compare with Kevin Love (serious question)?
- olsingledigit
- Posts: 6080
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
Perhaps the best All Star display of future X talent was when Justin Cage and Stanley Burrell played for Indiana and Justin Doellman for Kentucky in their senior high school years (Stanley spent a year at a prep school). I and several of my LHS buddies went to the game at Conseco in Indiana and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
-
jct1941
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
This is the first time I saw Kenny, but he can already do things that Jason Love will never be able to do. I have been wrong before, but in that short period of time in that game I saw more from him talent wise then Jason has displayed in two years. He is much bigger with better post moves and can face up and hit shots. As I mentioned, he can step out a hit a three (with a nice touch) not that it will be his primary job. Jason will only score from two feet in or on put backs. Kenny also passed well out of double teams and would have at least two more assists if the guys would have made the short shots. The next all star game on Saturday may tell more. By the way the Pritchard (Indiana) looded small next to Kenny and did little if anything in the game.
-
Masterofreality
- Posts: 979
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
I've seen Kenny play a bunch of times. The problem is I never saw Kevin Love play before UCLA.Il Saggio wrote:How does he compare with Kevin Love (serious question)?
I'll just say this A). Kenny has fine footwork around the basket. B) he has range on his shot, can make 3's and mid range jumpers like DWest could. C) He runs the floor well and is not slow at all, but could use a body tone up by about 10 pounds. D) He's a legitmate 6:11-7:0 and moves well laterally defensively. E) He has that "mean" streak that you like to see in a big man and is competitive, not lazy like Dallas Lauderdale of Ohio State.
The college game is a quicker game, however. It's one thing to see guys in HS and AAU. It's a whole other thing in big time D-1. Time will tell. I don't think he'll start over JLove, at least early, but will get legitimate early minutes.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
-
jct1941
- Posts: 2117
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:16 am
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
MOR - You may be right, and I may have overreacted saying that he would start right away. But, even in the warm ups when you see a 7 footer dribble between his legs and dunk the ball so hard the basket took about five seconds for the rim to stop shaking, I could not help but be impressed. I do second all of his attributes that you mentioned including the MEAN streak because when double teamed, no one really wanted any part of him. Like you said, only time will tell. The summer league will be a good test when he goes up against UC, Miami, and Dayton players.
-
X Factor
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
I have to disagree here. Even if he doesn't start, he won't be a drop off at all at the center position when he comes in.xavierj wrote:He will definately be a guy who can come in and help you off the bench and not be too much of a drop off from the starters.
I've seen enough of Kenny to know that right now his offensive game is easily more advanced than Jason Love, and that is not a knock on JL. Love has made HUGE strides in his first two years and if he continues to improve at his current pace, he could be a beast. I love Love's rebounding. His long arms allow him to rebound out of his area. He just snags rebounds all over the place.
Like jct said, Kenny has range out to 3 point land, has the ability to make low post moves (drop step, up and under), and can pass really well for a big man.
I'm not saying Kenny will start from day one, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was starting at some point next year. I also think he'll see around 20 minutes a game. He is a true center, there is no mistaking that. JL can't play the entire game, and he is kind of foul prone.
Can you imagine Sean going with a big lineup with 7'0 Frease at center, 6'8 McLean at PF, 6'8 Brown at SF, 6'6 Raymnd at SG, and Holloway or Lyons at PG? That would be a big, athletic lineup that would cause some serious problems for a ton of teams.
Last edited by X Factor on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
kfrease
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Ohio-KY All Star game
wow, he sounds like a beast, but i have not seen him play. as far as our lineup goes, i still see cj starting with j love, derrick, bj, and pg is up for grabs. our depth looks absolutely great with frease, mcclean, dante, and graves. I do like going with a big lineup with derrick at sf also.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 965 guests
