Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
birdman71
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby birdman71 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Gary,
I agree with Muskieman's assessment of your original comment on this thread as ''harsh''. You defended your comment as accurate, but I think the point is different. As soon as the game ended you called the play of our 3 seniors and CJ ''awful''. I know that you are one of XU's best and most knowledgeable fans, and I appreciate your good work and long hours with this board. I have been part of some of the '' brutally honest critics'' vs. ''everything is beautiful'' debates on this board and appreciate, but often disagree with, your point of view. After watching our 3 great seniors who took us as far as, or further, than we've ever been leave the court in tears, after playing their best, but losing to a better team, I believe your immediate post with ''awful'' right next to their names is well described as ''harsh''.
User avatar
olsingledigit
Posts: 6080
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 am
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby olsingledigit » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:33 pm

Very simply - Thanks to the three seniors, the other players, and Coach Miller for a great season. We have a great program. Lets not chase off another great coach. I hope that Sean stays for many many years. I am ready for next season!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
bluegrass
Posts: 3411
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby bluegrass » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 pm

This was our second elite 8 ever and UCLA'S third in a row.I think that was very evident.Their experience in big games like this was very evident.We didn't play well but I agree with Sean that we needed to play great and hope they had an off night.It didn't happen and I'm not going to rip our guys over it.I think they know they didn't play well.A lot of that is due to the competition.This was as far as I thought we would get.I will remember that great season not the last game.
StylesfromTeenWolf
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby StylesfromTeenWolf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:48 pm

We were drained after the WV game. It was a tough, physical and emotional exhausting game. It was like the UC game this year. It was physical and emotionally tiring and took a while to bounce back.
I am extremely proud to be an X fan today and these players took the X program to a new level this season.
vee4xu
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby vee4xu » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:23 pm

If someone hadn't watched any of our '04 NCAA games but only watched the Duke game, they'd come away saying that Xavier can play with the big boys. If that same person watched none of our '08 NCAA games but only last night's game, I'm not sure if they'd feel as strongly about the quality of our team and program, which is unfortunate.


I am not trying to be a pest here, but since I didn't get any answer to my question if you think Sean is AT LEAST as good of a coach as Matta, I have to assume (given your post above) you still are not giving Sean hsi full due and think Matta is a better coach than Sean. Am I right, or wrong in my assumption?
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:29 pm

<<I am not trying to be a pest here, but since I didn't get any answer to my question if you think Sean is AT LEAST as good of a coach as Matta, I have to assume (given your post above) you still are not giving Sean his full due and think Matta is a better coach than Sean. Am I right, or wrong in my assumption?>>

I must have skipped over your question, vee. No insult intended.

As to your question, it's a tough call, vee. Thad hit the ground running, and made an immediate impact on our sideline (in my opinion, which others didn't disagree with until he left).

Sean's become a very good coach, and I'm not laying yesterday's defeat at his feet in any way. I don't think any strategy or rotation decisions would have changed the outcome. I think the players playing better might have changed the outcome.

I hope Miller stays at X, and I'm sure he'll continue to succeed in the future, and continue to be a credit to college basketball in general and Xavier in particular.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
vee4xu
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby vee4xu » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:43 pm

No biggie Gary. I was just curious, so certainly no offense taken on my part.

What I think you're saying is that you still feel Thad is a better coach than Sean. For all intents and purposes, these two have had the same past four years. Sean made it three years in the NCAA tournament and one year out. Thad made it two years and did not make it two years. But OSU was on probation in his first year and they would have made it if that wasn't the case. Of course, OSU is in the NIT this year, but I think X should have been there Sean's first year. Of course, OSU made it to the Final Four last year and Sean to the Elite 8. But, Thad had rental players in Oden and Conley to help that cause last year.

Two of your neasuring sticks in giving that the nod to Thad over Sean were making it to the Elite 8 and having three 26 win seasons. Well, Sean has made it to the Elite 8 and after his first year is averaging 25 wins per season. His team now holds the record for most wins in a season by a Xavier team. And he is doing it with his players, whereas Thad did not. In fact, Sean won 17 games with Thad's players, but made them better over the ensuing three seasons to the point where the almost knocked off Thad last year.

I get the feeling that you will never put Sean above Thad and that is fine. But at this point I think you have to admit that Sean is at least equal to Matta given the measurements that you used to crown Thad a great coach.

BTW, it doesn't matter to me if you don't view Sean equal to Thad, but again using your measuring stick, I find it difficult to understand how you cannot.


Peace out dude.
jhelmes37
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:02 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby jhelmes37 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:14 pm

Here's my take on this. (I'm a first-time poster, btw.)

I've been pondering this season for the last two days. I can't help but be disappointed for getting this close to the FF and losing for the second time in 4 years. When I was comparing the two seasons, I realized something: 2004 was a way more satisfying tournament run this 2008 for me and I couldn't understand why. And then it hit me.

In 2004, I wasn't expecting much from them. Every win, Louisville, Miss State, Texas, was like a small miracle. The "ride" was amazing since they were a 7-seed playing the role of David. It was extremely satisfying to watch that run.

This year, while the season was spectacular and satisfying in every way, shape, and form, I began to expect them to perform like a top-10 program night in and night out. During this tournament run, anything less than the Elite Eight would have been a huge disappointment since they were better than Georgia, Purdue, and WVa. They should have won those games. That wasn't true in '04.

It is flat out more difficult to win when you should than win when you shouldn't. Other than the Miami game and possibly the Temple game, there were no other games that Xavier lost when they should have won. St. Joe's was solid and matched up well with X, and Arizona State was a good team on the west coast that X played before they fully gelled.

The best compliment anyone can pay to a program is to raise the expectations of all involved. X has surely done this. In order to be satisfied at this point, we'll need a Final Four appearance. Even saying that phrase excites me.

Can't wait for next year, well done, boys.

Go X!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby Mr. Neutral » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:20 pm

All good points, 37, and raised expectations can lessen the enjoyment of certain W's because you take them as a given, rightly or wrongly.

And the '04 team had this high-wire finish where we weren't even sure they were in the tourney after smoking SJU in the A10 tourney, while this year's team was in the tourney weeks ago.

One thing to consider is that the '04 team played 10, 2, 3 & 1 seeds, while this year's team played 14, 6, 7 & 1 seeds. http://www.bbstate.com/school.php?s=XU&a=tournament

But it's like picking between two way-hot babes. We now have two Elite Eight teams, and another entrant in the "what's your pick for the best Xavier team ever" pool.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
xeus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:50 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby xeus » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:30 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how Gary feels compelled to use words like "awful" to describe the play some of the finest young men this program has ever seen. That kind of analysis is simply not necessary. It's mean spirited and ugly and why most folks have left this board.

Yes, I was very disappointed in our loss. In fact, I teared up at the game watching our seniors walk off the court, drained of emotion and obviously disappointed in their performance. The Xavier fans I was sitting with felt the same way. But not once have I heard the word "awful" used to describe their effort.

They played a UCLA team that has posted more wins than any UCLA team in that program's storied history. This X team put together one of the most special seasons in Xavier history, and lost to a team that looked like the Celtics.

I am looking forward to standing and applauding this team's accomplishments at the basketball banquet and personally thanking each senior for their efforts.
Welcome fellow scholars.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 803 guests