Pablo goes to see Skip

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
mtax
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:27 am
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby mtax » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 am

I also only knew Pablo from this board. Seemed like a straight-thinking guy with the love we all have for the Muskies. My condolences to his family.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Gorilla '69 wrote:muskieman introduced me to Pablo a couple of years ago at the A-10 tourney. He was a very funny guy, as evidenced by all his posts.

mm - didn't he travel a lot in his job, like to China, etc? A true loss and much too early.
I don't know if he was still doing that job but yes he went to China a lot. I had the privilege of him sitting with me for awhile last year when my wife could not make a game and we had a nice long talk. He felt like a son and always wanted to know how I felt. I hope a numert of us will make his funeral and I am planning to get up to Kettering on Sunday night.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Filthy Chilean
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby Filthy Chilean » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:22 pm

Brian worked in the Toy industry (so fitting) and traveled yearly to Hong Kong.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Filthy Chilean wrote:Brian worked in the Toy industry (so fitting) and traveled yearly to Hong Kong.
FC you are so right Brian was a kid at heart so working in toys was fitting. He loved life and enjoyed the company of others.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops
Posts: 3926
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby skyhops » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:05 pm

I knew Brian, but I never knew that he was Pablo. That is a great XU family and I want to express my deepest sympathies.
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby Masterofreality » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:41 pm

So that the Great Brian's wisdom can live on and teach others, I post this statement from he himself that he wrote in an e-mail to me a couple of years ago:

"H - I am no better a Xavier fan than anyone else. But more and more I am realizing that everyone reads what we write. And If you or I knew what we wrote actually would hurt Sean or Stanley or Justin or any player - we wouldn't write it."

Brian was very close to many in the program-both current and former players and coaches. While some individuals think that no one near the team reads stuff on these boards, folks, they do- and so do recruits and the families of recruits. Brian related many stories of interactions that he had with families of players at banquets and other occasions. He would share those stories to me in confidence never wanting me to put them out in public. I always respected his wishes. The lesson that Brian taught me, and that I took to heart, was to be more positive and supportive in this public "internet tavern" forum. I know I changed my mode of communicating in these forums after realizing what was at stake from his stories to me.

The best legacy that we can all leave to honor Pablo's memory is "think before we write." I hope that we can all move on in this vein with a more positive manner.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
gundun
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby gundun » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:38 am

I never met Brian, only knew him through these pages. However, I feel I lost a close friend. RIP Pablo!

McCORMICK, Brian Dargin Age 33, of Cincinnati, Ohio, passed away unexpectedly Wednesday, April 9, 2008. Brian was born on March 21, 1975 in Dayton, Ohio. He was a 1993 graduate of Archbishop Alter High School and a 1997 graduate of Xavier University where he received a Bachelor of Arts in Advertising. Brian was a partner with O'Brien & Sexton Associates, a manufacturer's representative firm, with offices in Cincinnati, Ohio and Chicago, Illinois. Brian is survived by his mother and father, Richard and Diane Dargin McCormick of Kettering, Ohio. Brother, Matthew McCormick, and Sister-in-law, Susan McCormick of Cincinnati, Ohio. Nephew and Godson, Patrick McCormick of Cincinnati, Ohio. Niece and Goddaughter, Caroline McCormick of Cincinnati, Ohio. Cousin and Godmother, Judith Gunnoe, from Dayton, Ohio and the entire extended Gunnoe family. Uncle and Godfather, Mark McCormick and Aunt Patty McCormick, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Uncle and Aunt, Joe and Joyce Yatteau, of Rochester, New York. Numerous cousins in Cincinnati, Ohio, Homer, Georgia, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Rochester, New York and West Alexandria, Ohio. Friends throughout the world. The family will receive friends from 5:00 to 8:00 PM Sunday at The Westbrock Funeral Home, 5980 Bigger Road in Kettering, Ohio. Friends may also visit from 9:00 to 10:00 AM, Monday at Bellarmine Chapel on Xavier University's campus, 3800 Victory Parkway in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Funeral Mass will immediately follow at 10 AM. Brian will rest at Calvary Cemetery in Dayton, Ohio. We were truly blessed to have him for 33 years. Brian loved his family with his entire heart and soul. He was truly "one of a kind" and would light up a room with his boundless energy, amazing humor, and unforgettable zest for life. Brian was generous to a fault, and loved his many, many friends unconditionally. If you were a friend of his - you knew it - and could always count on him. Brian also loved Xavier University and enjoyed playing rugby for his school. He owes The Xavier Nation for much of his happiness he experienced in his adult (and not so adult) life. Brian was one of Xavier's Men's Basketball team's most passionate fans. He relished in our team's victories, blamed the refs for our losses, and absolutely loved beating UD in every way possible. Brian was a patriot and unabashedly proud of his country. He was also a Conservative Republican and urges all of you to vote for John McCain. Irish to the core, Brian was often wrong but never uncertain. Brian loved Jesus and needs your prayers. He will always be in our hearts. Pray to him for he will help you. Please remember the Brian that made you smile, laugh out loud, or shake your head in disbelief. Brian loved life and wants everyone he touched to live the life that's in your dreams. Honor Brian by doing "it" today. In lieu of flowers, a memorial gift may be made to "The Brian McCormick Memorial Fund" at Xavier University, 3800 Victory Parkway, Cincinnati, Ohio 45207, 513-745-3314.
Pete Delkus
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby Pete Delkus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 pm

I was out of town this past week but had plenty of calls to relay the awful news.

In late May/early June of 1993 I moved into Brockman Hall for the Summer Bridge Program and the first person I ran into and who had set up shop in the dorm was Brian. The sounds of Irish music were rolling down the hallway and the proud flag of Ireland was draped on his window. He was waiting to see who his roommate would be for the summer and like all of us, he was curious to find out if he would share the same interests.

5 days later Tyson Britt moved in.

The sounds of Ireland turned to the sounds of The LBC as Dr Dre’s, ‘The Chronic’ became the new CD of choice. Brian didn’t care as he was having a blast and both began their learning experience. He was all smiles as most of us were, as we were starting a new beginning away from home and enjoying our new-found freedom. The Bridgers had a great time that summer and Brian’s spirit was a crucial part.

I was lucky enough to share 4 years of college with Brian, went as a group to Cancun over senior break, drank a beer with him at 5:30 AM, in our caps and gowns at The Woods the day of our graduation…and of course, talk some X basketball.

My heart goes out to the McCormick family and a prayer, with my 2 young boys, has been sent towards heaven.
_LH
Posts: 254
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby _LH » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:29 pm

My prayers go out to McCormick''s family and friends. I knew him as a student and remember fondly him producing the Irish Flag upon graduating from XU and his kilts at different parties. He and I butted heads as LH and Pablo but none of that stuff really matters in life. He was way too young and his sudden death is a tragedy for his family and the Xavier community. I know he and Skip will be watching this season together both with a guinness in hand looking down smiling.
PMI
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Pablo goes to see Skip

Postby PMI » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:49 pm

I am deeply saddened by this news. Brian was one of the only people on this board I knew personally. To say he was kind and generous to me would be a gross understatement. When I first enrolled at Xavier, having already been on these boards for a few years as just a fan, he offered me tons of great advice and even gave me a seat to my first X game at Cintas. His generosity was unbelievable. I am not around these boards as much anymore but I used to be a lot, and the one person who I actually knew and stayed in touch with the whole time was Brian McCormick. He was an incredibly passionate fan who cared deeply for Xavier and the basketball team. I will certainly miss seeing him at games. My deepest condolences go out to the McCormick family. RIP Brian.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 830 guests