Isn't the question more of whether a player's development would be helped more by (1) redshirting, getting stronger, and acclimated to the college game, or (2) being on the active roster and getting some, but possibly minimal minutes?
Let's say all our players, and we're focusing on our guards, have the talent, strength and skills to play and contribute this year. I don't think any would redshirt under those circumstances.
But let's say one of them realizes "hey, I need to work to get up to this level, and I'm probably not going to get more than walk-on minutes this year". In that case, a redshirt year might be best for all involved.
But, while we all have equally valid opinions now, it's likely not going to be decided until next October, anyway.
Guards= who will redshirt?
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26816
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Gary, I agree with you. All of our discussion is purely speculative but with nothing much to do unless we have a handicap like you of 2 or less it guess this is the topic of the off season...unless we can start up a rpi or you jumps off one or two feet thread. I recall other red shirt treads that had, in the opinion of the poster, decided it was better for this or that player to red-shirt and it never happened.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
<<...unless we have a handicap like you of 2 or less ...>>
Thanks, but my handicap is a factor of 2, but not 2 itself, sadly. Now, MOR might be in that range.
Thanks, but my handicap is a factor of 2, but not 2 itself, sadly. Now, MOR might be in that range.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26816
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
MOR has to be a scratch golfer...he has more time on his hand then both of us.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
xutag77
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Let's not forget that these 4 guards also know what is going on. Just because they are not getting playing time does not mean that they are necessarily unhappy or not an integral part of the program.
Redford and Lyons in particular knew that a battle for playing time was going to commence the second they hit campus. Walsh had the opportunity to play for middle of the road ACC school (Maryland) but chose the prospects of Xavier in the A10. They came to Xavier accepting that would not be the star, but will sacrifice to be part fo the Xavier tradition.
They all have different skills that complement and challenge each other. We have a pure point, a shooter, a slasher and a big defender. Mix them up and let the battle begin.
Redford and Lyons in particular knew that a battle for playing time was going to commence the second they hit campus. Walsh had the opportunity to play for middle of the road ACC school (Maryland) but chose the prospects of Xavier in the A10. They came to Xavier accepting that would not be the star, but will sacrifice to be part fo the Xavier tradition.
They all have different skills that complement and challenge each other. We have a pure point, a shooter, a slasher and a big defender. Mix them up and let the battle begin.
-
PaulHickey
- Posts: 107
- Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Am I missing something? Has anyone on this post considered that it might take some time for one of these kids to adjust to the academic life while at X? What makes X such a great program is not only the play on the court, but the academic side as well. If any incoming freshmen had trouble with the books, they sit until they get it straight. It's more than the court boys....
- muskieman
- Posts: 26816
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Paul, I think both sides understand your point and accept it.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
With the addition of Crawford, if he is eligible this coming season, I see no reason for Redford not to redshirt.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
Valid point, LH, if Crawford is eligible to play this season. That seems far from certain at this point.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
_LH
- Posts: 254
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 pm
- Contact:
Re: Guards= who will redshirt?
I know it is a big IF but I still think redshirting one of the true freshman guards is a good idea regardless.
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 835 guests
