Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Unfortunately, X saved their (next-to) worst game for last*

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:42 pm

*Edited so as not not hurt anyone's feelings.

I'm not shocked that we lost. Disappointed? Sure. Shocked? No.

What is unfortunate is that X played its worst game of the tournament, and one of its worst of the season, tonight against UCLA. As you recall, we lost to ASU by 22, and also by 19 to Temple. Other than Derrick Brown, not a single X player played anything resembling a good game, in my opinion, which, shockingly some disagree with.

I think our guys were intimidated by UCLA, and surprised at how tough it was to get shots off inside. We were throwing up "no chance in hell" shots all night.

Our outside shooting was terrible, our ballhandling was awful, we didn't take advantage of turnovers, and we seemed to forget how good Kevin Love was time after time.

To be clear, I'm not blasting the coaching staff at all. And I'm not really blasting the players, either. They had a great season, and a great tourney run. It's just sad that we put forth a pretty lousy performance in our biggest game of the season.

Our seniors deserved a better sendoff than in what turned out to be our largest margin of defeat ever in an NCAA game.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Well unless they would have won the NC they were going to have a loss and the team that beat them tonight was a big reason Xavier looked so bad. As for your analysis of the players you are being a little harsh, in my opinion.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XUhog
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby XUhog » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:53 pm

all that said - still proud to be a Muskie!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:56 pm

<<As for your analysis of the players you are being a little harsh, in my opinion.>>

Duncan: 4-11 FG, 1-6 3PFG, 3 rebounds, 3 TO's
Lavender: 2-9 FG, 0 FT's
Burrell: 2-6, 3 TO's
Raymond/Jackson/Love: 3-13 FG's

mm, I'll give credit to UCLA and its D, no question. But other than Brown, not one of our guys played a good game, and most of them played a terrible game.

Yes, only 1 team's season doesn't end in a loss, but I'm just disappointed that ours ended with such a poor performance.

Off the top of my head, I think this is our biggest margin of defeat in an NCAA game.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes, it is my opinion you are too harsh. I note you didn't give all the stats. Like Drew and Stan had together 9 assists but that's okay. We all morn in different ways.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
vee4xu
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby vee4xu » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:16 pm

I am really sorry you can't see the good in tonight Gary. This is THE BEST Xaveir men's basketball team ever. They played against a very good team that has now made it to the Final Four three years running. The last time that happened the Wizard of Westwook was coaching. IMHO you need to back off of these guys and look at the whole body of work. It is wonderful.

BTW, now Sean has an Elite 8 under his belt, the most wins ever by a Xavier team in one season and dong so against an extremely tough schedule. Has Sean caught up with Thad yet in your mind? Expecially since beak is playing in the Not Intersted Tournament this year. If you say no, then I know you just hate Miller.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby Mr. Neutral » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:23 pm

I must not be making myself clear.

I'm not taking any shots whatsoever at our coaching staff.

I'm not saying that this team didn't have a great season, and didn't accomplish a lot of fabulous things.

What I am saying is that we played easily our worst game of the tourney tonight, and one of our worst games of the season, at a most inopportune time.

So did a lot of other teams (Michigan State, Wisconsin, etc.) but they're not my concern. I just wish that if X had to lose, that we went down with our guns blazing. Instead, we went down shooting wild shots and dribbling the ball off our foot.

Damn.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
vee4xu
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby vee4xu » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:39 pm

I think they played worse against both Arizona State and Temple, personally. Tonight it was a 13-0 run over about a 4 minute period early in the second half that did them in. Otherwise, the resto f the game was not the best overall effort, but not the worst.
xuhuh!
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby xuhuh! » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:47 pm

thought ucla's speed was underestimated, and their size inside seemed too much for X as several inside shots were blocked...combined with low shooting %, ucla could eventually play free and easy..X defense held it's own early on..where IS ucla anyway? guys had to feel bad that they didn't compete
ccole3868
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Unfortunately, X saved their worst for last

Postby ccole3868 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:15 pm

I'm bummed that we didn't come out to play like we should have. UCLA buried every shot that they took. But I'm proud of where we ended up this season. Before 2004, it was in the 90s that we had made it past two games in the tourney. Now we have been in the elite 8 twice in four years. Call me crazy, but I think that's pretty great.

So, if you want to knock the team. Fine. But I'm bursting with pride. Our program is not something common....and it's only getting better. So let's focus on where we are going and not on what any individual did or didn't do. That's the thing about the tourney. Unless you win the whole dag thing, you're going to be disappointed....if you choose to be.

Well, I choose to be happy and greatful. Thanks guys for a great run and a great season!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 828 guests