Bench play next year

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kfrease
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 pm
Contact:

Bench play next year

Postby kfrease » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:17 pm

Who will be the 6th man comin off the bench next year? Frease, Graves, Lyons?
finalfourorbust
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby finalfourorbust » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:47 am

I think it will be BJ Raymond.
LyonsIsFlyin
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby LyonsIsFlyin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 am

Early in the season I don't see any freshman starting, unless they extremely impress sean. My starting line up is dante pg, BJ sg, CJ g/sf, D Brown F, Love C... this could change however, because as we know sean isn't afraid to change the line up, so my 6th man would probably be Frease... that IMO shows we can still have good expectations for next season... beginning should be rough but I still see a tourney apperance next season and hopefully another A10 championship!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:48 am

Lyons, I agree with 4 of your 5 starters. I've said this elsewhere, but unless Jackson greatly improves on his ballhandling, I just don't see him successfully handling the starting PG job. He gave us some minutes there this year only because we had no legit backup.

I'd have to say that Lyons would be the first option, until further notice.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
MADXSTER
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby MADXSTER » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Neutral, I agree with you. I think that it will be Lyons to lose more so than Lyons to win.

Once Frease gets to know the system, I think that Sean will play him like he did Love this season in order to make the bench that much deeper. If Frease starts from day one then Xavier may be very deep in the big man department.
LyonsIsFlyin
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby LyonsIsFlyin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:57 pm

I hear both of you guys, and with my name its quite obvious I'm more than pumped about what Mark Lyons can be, however, I'm thinking dante could be a star as a pg, he already has shown his unselfishness and his desire to be the next best defender on this team, and I think with a whole off season with Sean's guidance, I think dante has just as much if not more potential than lyons, but thats the beauty of where we are, we have a team full of guys who can play, so I'm more than happy with either playing... as for Frease, I throughly agree he'll be played like J Love has been brought along, and if this coaching staff can coach Kenny up like they did Jason, he'll be a star, he already has recognition and talent so its exciting to think about.... our future is extremely bright!
xuhuh!
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby xuhuh! » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:18 pm

someone dropped a rumor on me that frease may receive some personal 'BIG MAN' tutoring
vmuskie
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby vmuskie » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:44 pm

The thing is that I see most of Dante's minutes coming at PG. I dont think he has a scorer's mentality - at least not in the same league as BJ Raymond and what Redford seemed to do this past season in HS

I think his defense is too good to keep him on the bench. If he is to be next year's Stanley "LOCK DOWN" Burrell - he has to be on the floor.

And the only real position I see him playing significant minutes is at PG...

Am I wrong in my thinking?
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby Mr. Neutral » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:48 pm

v, I keep going back to Dante's ballhandling. As a PG, nothing's more important than that. And while Dante improved a LOT this year, nothing showed me he could the be the #1 guy in terms of handling the ball, beating the press, etc., for X next year.

If I'm an opposing coach, I'd press and double-team Dante all day. So, unless he makes a BIG improvement in his ballhandling skills, I think X would be very prone to pressing teams with him at the point.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Bench play next year

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:07 pm

xuhuh! wrote:someone dropped a rumor on me that frease may receive some personal 'BIG MAN' tutoring
i heard drendo74 will be working with all the players to improve their game this summer. He did wonders this past year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 790 guests