OSU over UMass in NIT final

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:14 pm

It was a pretty entertaining game, with the Buckeyes winning 92-85 after being down by 10 in the first half. UMass acquitted itself very well, and never gave up. UMass shot 37% to OSU's 56%.

One of the announcers noted that OSU had 3 frosh and 2 sophs on the court at one point, so, along with their recruits, the future looks bright.

The question about Travis Ford's future at UMass came up, and the comment was that UMass, like Xavier, should show that it's a "high major" and do what needs to be done to keep a successful coach who's brought nothing but credit to the school in his time there.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
muskiemuskie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby muskiemuskie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:49 pm

I hope Ford stays for a couple more years...the A10 is going in the right direction
X Factor
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby X Factor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:50 pm

OSU averaged about 68 points a game this year and UMass allowed them to shoot close to 60% and score 90 points.

OSU's defense wasn't great, but they played less worse defense.

I've heard there is a good chance Koufas is leaving this year for the NBA. He wants to be more of a perimeter oriented power forward and Matta wanted him in the paint most of the time.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Mr. Neutral » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:54 pm

The last two games, I think they were saying that Koufos is being courted by the Greek national team as well.

He developed a lot this year, but I think another year would help quite a bit. There's a difference between "college strong" and "NBA strong".

If he leaves, Priest Lauderdale seems to have made strides as well, though he doesn't have near Koufos' range and ballhandling ability.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Masterofreality » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:10 am

Actually, Moose, that's "Dallas" Lauderdale. He's no savior.

I saw the kid in high school plenty. He's plain L_A_Z_Y! I know on impeccable authority that if Matta could have pulled his scholarship offer to Lauderdale in his HS senior year he would have done it.

Lauderdale won't see much court time next year. BJ Mullens will take his time. If Koufas stays, Lauderdale will be having long visits with Mr. Pine. If Koufas leaves, Lauderdale will be seeing a little bit of fill or mop up time.
PAY THE MAN!!!!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 am

Thanks, MOR. I sometimes get my Lauderdales mixed up. Priest was the 7'4" center who played briefly with the Hawks and Nuggets.

I was just goingg on his minutes last night in which Dallas looked pretty active and athletic. And there were stretches where Matta had Lauderdale at the 5 spot while Koufas played the 4.

Either way, I'm sure Thad's hoping that Koufos sticks around for another year, which, as I said above, I think would be a good idea for the kid.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26783
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby muskieman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 am

I heard from last night game that Thad has a stellar class coming in. I am sure he would like a big guy in the middle with some experience but KK seems to keep drifting to the outside and looks like he really is uncomfortable inside. I guess his body is not made for NBA inside but more outside. I wonder with all the big guys on the outside is the NBA will be known someday as the 6"8" and over league.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:57 am

Good point, mm. Koufos can score inside, but he certainly likes playing on the perimeter, so if OSU could put an actual center out there and have Koufos play the PF spot, he'd be a very tough matchup for most college frontlines.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
mookycxu
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:08 am
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby mookycxu » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:57 pm

boy this is an incredible post about Ohio State Basketball. I'm glad i cam on to a Xavier message board to read this. keep up the incredible breakdown.

i can understand the allure of xavierhoops now.
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: OSU over UMass in NIT final

Postby Mr. Neutral » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, if you want to talk about any other college basketball games that were played last night, have at it. Oh, I forgot, there weren't any.

Last night's game included (1) our former coach, (2) the last playing A10 team, and (3) mention of UMass' concern about losing Ford and how it related to X's efforts to keep Miller.

Sorry if that's not X-related enough for you. I guess maybe I should have posted a 10-paragraph rant about how the commentators disrespected X by not giving our program enough airtime during last night's game.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 423 guests