Page 1 of 3
Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:41 pm
by _LH
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... /304100080
What does PD think XU should do? Haven't they made him attend class and study tables? Won't he graduate next month? Was he not told that drugs are illegal? Won't he be punished? If XU was still playing, I am sure Lavender would miss a game or more.
What does PD think XU can do for him now? Pay all of his legal fees?
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 pm
by bd3030
Actually what I believe he is getting at is that XU knew about his issues before they allowed him to join the team. They also knew the reason they were allowing him to join the team is because they felt he could help them win (which he did). Therefore, after he has helped them to win, and now with his legal troubles, they should not do anything such as kick him out of school or anything along those lines. Basically they shouldn't "use" him. That's what I got from the article at least.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 pm
by Bmuskie
the tone of the column suggests that Doc believes Xavier will simply kick Drew to the curb and forget about him. The questions I have are What has Xavier done in the past to make anyone believe that they wouldn't help Drew now? Has Xavier expelled Drew and I didn't know about it? Is there a history of Xavier letting their student athletes fall flat on their face once their final season has ended? What Drew did was stupid and he certainly needs to be disciplined in some way. But how did this suddenly become an issue of how Xavier's going to kick him to the curb and forget about him? Shouldn't we be talking about HOW Xavier can help Drew rather than blasting a University for what they may or may not do to either help or discipline a student that may or may not have broken the law?
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 pm
by XU84
I didn't find the article that offensive. I think the point is XU should try to make sure Drew gets his life back on track, if it is even that far off, and that he learn from this. The school has helped these players along in many ways including but not limited to academically since they arrived on campus. Drew is still a member of the XU community. No, don't pay his bills or hold his hand in court but yes try to enlighten him.
Quite honestly I don't buy into all of this 'every college kid does this' attitude either. I didn't, and neither did the people I hung around with, and yes we still had fun in college. I don't have any problem holding these young men and women that represent the school to a slightly higher standard. If they want to take their success from this program to the next level athletically and/or professionally in the business world, they will soon find out how their extracurricular activities can come back to bite them.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:03 pm
by muskieman
Paul is setting himself as the high moral ground is is something he likes to do, too bad he doesn't practice what he preaches...if X is doing something wrong what is it Paul or are you casting a wide net with the hope you catch something.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:30 pm
by XU84
Just curious as how he doesn't practice what he preaches? I don't know Daughtery personally and haven't read any dirt about him. Something I'm missing?
To be honest, I do hold XU to a pretty high standard, both the administration and the students and the athletes. Why not? Why settle for for what the majority find acceptable?
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:31 pm
by XU84
This incident actually seemed to receive very limited talk-radio time, which is nice.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:44 pm
by wkrq59
Doc's only problem here is he is trying to cover too many bases and say things that will please some and offend none.
He is neither a moron or an idiot. He is merely saying, "Don't abandon Drew in his hour of need, '' which I can guarantee you Xavier will not. Paul just takes too roundabout way of saying that.
He is no more a moron than the people who say "good riddance," of Drew.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:50 pm
by Biff Tannen
Bmuskie wrote:the tone of the column suggests that Doc believes Xavier will simply kick Drew to the curb and forget about him. The questions I have are What has Xavier done in the past to make anyone believe that they wouldn't help Drew now?
The only thing I can think of is Finn a couple of years ago, all I know is that they never said what Finn did, I don't know what Finn did, but X did kick him to the curb and forgot about him. My assumption would be that Finn did something similar to Drew, only the police were not involved. So I guess it is a fair assumption from someone to think that X would just kick Drew to the curb.
Re: Paul Daugherty is a Moron
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:54 pm
by Mr. Neutral
I don't really have a problem with Paul's column. Certainly, we fans look down our noses at other school's players who are sure-fire draft choices, and as soon as the season's over, stop going to class, party every night, etc.
I think and hope X will stand by Lavender now. I'm not saying cover for him or try to exonerate him, but if you're going to be constantly talking about "family" re your teams and players, and ask for the extraordinary commitment to play high-level Div. I sports, then you have to treat them like family when the manure hits the fan.