OSU's freshman seven footer who averaged 14 ppg and 7 rpg has declared for the NBA, but as yet to sign with an agent ... but he will as he's a projected mid-first round pick, and that means about a $6 million signing bonus and a guaranteed three year contract at perhaps $2-3 million a year.
The C-Bus Disgrace, eh, Dispatch --- the sports section of which is a branch of OSU's SID office, is running a poll as to what readers thought he should do.
Eighty nine percent (89%) said he should return to OSU next season.
His leaving school will be one more scholarship player whatshisname has recruited who will not graduate, thus continuing the long standing OSU tradition of "play 'em, but forget about graduating."
As an added not, whatshisname was hot after a 6-8 PF to replace Koufas, but lost hom to either UK or St Louis. He then chased a 6-2 PG, but lost him to IU when Holloway left.
Koufas of OSU goes NBA
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
I'm sure OSU wants Koufas to stay, but every indication is that the Buckeyes will be fine either way. Per Bob Gibbons, OSU's got the #5 incoming class for '08, including the #9 player, 7'0" B.J. Mullens and the #15 player, 6'5" William Buford.
http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/Proxy. ... ns%2findex
And looking ahead to 2010-
"At this time 16 of ESPN's 2010 Top 60 have announced their college choices.
Leading the way are coach Thad Matta's Ohio State Buckeyes with four -- count 'em, four -- 2010 commitments. In addition to No. 3 DeShaun Thomas, Ohio State has received verbals from No. 7, rugged 6-6 PF Jared Sullinger, Northland High School (Columbus, Ohio); No. 12, 6-1 PG Trae Golden, McEachern High School (Powder Springs, Ga.); and No. 43, 6-4 SG Cameron Wright, Benedictine High School (Cleveland)."
http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/Proxy. ... ns%2findex
And looking ahead to 2010-
"At this time 16 of ESPN's 2010 Top 60 have announced their college choices.
Leading the way are coach Thad Matta's Ohio State Buckeyes with four -- count 'em, four -- 2010 commitments. In addition to No. 3 DeShaun Thomas, Ohio State has received verbals from No. 7, rugged 6-6 PF Jared Sullinger, Northland High School (Columbus, Ohio); No. 12, 6-1 PG Trae Golden, McEachern High School (Powder Springs, Ga.); and No. 43, 6-4 SG Cameron Wright, Benedictine High School (Cleveland)."
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Verbals are verbals.
Come back in 2010.
Come back in 2010.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
If they were OUR verbals, you'd be crowing about them, Wise, let's be honest, and so would I.
I understand you've got issues with Matta, but we should be as fair with him as we want people to be with our program.
Rivals.com's Top 150 has Mullens and Buford #1 and #19, along with Walter Nuffut at #99.
http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617
They've got Frease at #42, Holloway at #100 and Lyons at #103.
I understand you've got issues with Matta, but we should be as fair with him as we want people to be with our program.
Rivals.com's Top 150 has Mullens and Buford #1 and #19, along with Walter Nuffut at #99.
http://cincinnati.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617
They've got Frease at #42, Holloway at #100 and Lyons at #103.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Again ... verbals are verbals.
And I don't give a hoot whether anyone is "fair" to whatshisname or not.
Just as some are never, repeat, never "fair" to anything XU.
Neutral? "Neutral" my ass!
And I don't give a hoot whether anyone is "fair" to whatshisname or not.
Just as some are never, repeat, never "fair" to anything XU.
Neutral? "Neutral" my ass!
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Technically, your ass is neutral, Wise, as it should be split 50-50.
On the fairness issue, sure, I've criticized some things that you strongly disagree with, but I've complimented Miller and the players time and time again.
When's the last time you complimented Matta and/or OSU, in addition to your ripping them?
And, again, the funny thing is that if Matta was still here, I'd be criticizing him and you'd be defending him, and calling me out for criticizing him. It's a funny world.
On the fairness issue, sure, I've criticized some things that you strongly disagree with, but I've complimented Miller and the players time and time again.
When's the last time you complimented Matta and/or OSU, in addition to your ripping them?
And, again, the funny thing is that if Matta was still here, I'd be criticizing him and you'd be defending him, and calling me out for criticizing him. It's a funny world.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
See what a clandestine trip can do to the order of the universe!Mr. Neutral wrote:Technically, your ass is neutral, Wise, as it should be split 50-50.
On the fairness issue, sure, I've criticized some things that you strongly disagree with, but I've complimented Miller and the players time and time again.
When's the last time you complimented Matta and/or OSU, in addition to your ripping them?
And, again, the funny thing is that if Matta was still here, I'd be criticizing him and you'd be defending him, and calling me out for criticizing him. It's a funny world.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
Wisexuowl
- Posts: 1062
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Of course its a funny world. And you be the clown prince of it.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Don't worry, Wise, we'll find a spot for you in things. I can't imagine what it might be, but I'm sure something suitable for a man of your talents will open up.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
MarionHall4ever
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:40 pm
- Contact:
Re: Koufas of OSU goes NBA
Neutral,
you had me howling with that "ass" blast comment.
Good stuff. Just thought I'd let you know in advance that I intend to use it myself in the future if ever an appropriate occasion arises.
Back on topic, though, Koufas is a decent player and I wish him well. There's probably a spot for him on an NBA roster somewhere, alhough, I think that he's probably smart enough to know that he can be a really well-paid god by taking his game to Europe instead.
With all of the underclassmen who have now declared themselves eligible for this year's NBA Draft, however, I think there is a really good chance that both he and Josh Duncan will both still be on the board when the Cavaliers pick in the first round. If that's the case, I hope that the Cavs take a shot on Duncan -- and not just because I'm a biased Xavier grad (although that's part of it).
I really do believe that Duncan will not only be a better pro than Koufas, I believe that he'll actually be a better player at the pro level than he was in college. Any takers on either of those projections?
you had me howling with that "ass" blast comment.
Back on topic, though, Koufas is a decent player and I wish him well. There's probably a spot for him on an NBA roster somewhere, alhough, I think that he's probably smart enough to know that he can be a really well-paid god by taking his game to Europe instead.
With all of the underclassmen who have now declared themselves eligible for this year's NBA Draft, however, I think there is a really good chance that both he and Josh Duncan will both still be on the board when the Cavaliers pick in the first round. If that's the case, I hope that the Cavs take a shot on Duncan -- and not just because I'm a biased Xavier grad (although that's part of it).
I really do believe that Duncan will not only be a better pro than Koufas, I believe that he'll actually be a better player at the pro level than he was in college. Any takers on either of those projections?
“Send lawyers, guns and money. The sh*t has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon (R.I.P.)
If that fails, send the Jesuits
.
If that fails, send the Jesuits
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1028 guests
