Sounds like Parrom had a great visit. Kudos to Richardson for staying involved with this guy.
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/0 ... -kenn.html
Parrom Visit
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
Call me crazy, but I'd call this strikingly similar to the exact same link in a thread titled "Report on Parrom's visit, and names of other recruits" about two inches below this one!
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
XUdenver
- Posts: 186
- Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
Sorry, Neutral!! Didn't see it before I posted the link.
Another note however, I just checked out his list of 'offers' to players in the 2010 class, and I couldn't confirm that ANY of them actually had an official offer, much less were even considering XU.
Another note however, I just checked out his list of 'offers' to players in the 2010 class, and I couldn't confirm that ANY of them actually had an official offer, much less were even considering XU.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
I certainly can't verify the information in the blog,but it's interesting, nonetheless.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
JKC74
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
Below is a little something on one of the guys we allegedly offered for 2010. You gotta watch who you bring in here. XU has worked too long and too hard to get where they are. Let's not give it all away. This kid played for one of the best High Schools in the US and not just for sports either. The coach is in nine different Halls of Fame. He would not accept his punishment and stay in Molloy HS, so he just withdrew from school and went to one in NJ the next day because that's the way it is these days. I guess I'm just too old!!!
NYCHoops.net
Ashton Pankey, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound sophomore forward, withdrew from Archbishop Molloy following an incident in which he was found on school grounds possessing a stolen cell phone, according to the Times Ledger and other sources.
A Bronx native, Pankey was averaging 15.1 points per game for legendary coach Jack Curran.
A long and athletic big man, Pankey is being recruited by numerous schools, including Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, St. John's and UConn.
Stay tuned here for an update next week on Pankey's future.
NYCHoops.net
Ashton Pankey, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound sophomore forward, withdrew from Archbishop Molloy following an incident in which he was found on school grounds possessing a stolen cell phone, according to the Times Ledger and other sources.
A Bronx native, Pankey was averaging 15.1 points per game for legendary coach Jack Curran.
A long and athletic big man, Pankey is being recruited by numerous schools, including Rutgers, Georgia Tech, Seton Hall, St. John's and UConn.
Stay tuned here for an update next week on Pankey's future.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
Quit being so judgmental, 74! Who amongst us hasn't been caught walking around with a stolen cell phone? I've got several in my pockets right now!
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
-
JKC74
- Posts: 363
- Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:30 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
The stolen cell phone is not the point. When things got tough the kid looked for the easy out and took it at breakneck speed. I don't expect too much else from a modern day teen but as I posted once earlier today's molly coddled athlete has little respect for their High School or their HS coaches. It's all about them and making sure they are comfortable and they FEEEEEL good and nothng gets in their way. If you want the face of the XU program to be that, then expect to hear about it from others.
-
Mr. Neutral
- Posts: 14366
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
I don't really disagree, but I think we're in trouble when we lead off with "the stolen cell phone is not the point". It certainly seems like at least a starting point, and the kid's subsequent ducking out of School 1 and heading over to School 2 is another issue.
Being a head coach is no easy gig these days.
Being a head coach is no easy gig these days.
The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
- muskieman
- Posts: 26787
- Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
Sure, but evidence you are using in a trial doesn't count.Mr. Neutral wrote:Quit being so judgmental, 74! Who amongst us hasn't been caught walking around with a stolen cell phone? I've got several in my pockets right now!
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
-
wkrq59
- Posts: 1508
- Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
- Contact:
Re: Parrom Visit
I think one of the questions we're all asking is "When is too early to start recruiting players?" and the question is a good one.
Didn't we offer a scholarship to a sophomore from Toledo whose name escapes me and didn't he give a verbal to Sean? Didn't he later retract the verbal?
As far as the character issue (can we call it that? I don't know) is concerned, many of us have had those same questions before and for the most part things turned out OK.
Bottom line is we have to trust Sean and his staff to continue to think in terms of what is best for Xavier and definitely not to develop a win-at-any-cost attitude. And I don't think the latter is likely to happen.
But I for one am concerned about the trend today to scout and evaluate junior high kids and the practice of offering freshmen and sophomores athletic scholarships. I think it's bad all around for both the coach-school and for the kid and his family.
A kid commits verbally to a coach during his sophomore year in high school. Now he has tons of pressure to prove he is worthy of the offered scholarship. His parents are constantly on him to perform for fear of losing a "ship" worth many thousands. The kid believes he has to score high every game and what that leads to is a selfish player whose team goals are sacrificed for the individual's.
The coach is under pressure to make sure he protects his commitment by being on hand for as many of his games as allowed and in general continue to tell the kid he loves him.
The high school coach is under pressure to develop the kid further in a way that will benefit his future coach.
The only benefit I can see is the college coach gets a jump on his competition, but what happens if the kid turns out to be a "traffic cone" in the words of that sage Byron Larkin?
Didn't we offer a scholarship to a sophomore from Toledo whose name escapes me and didn't he give a verbal to Sean? Didn't he later retract the verbal?
As far as the character issue (can we call it that? I don't know) is concerned, many of us have had those same questions before and for the most part things turned out OK.
Bottom line is we have to trust Sean and his staff to continue to think in terms of what is best for Xavier and definitely not to develop a win-at-any-cost attitude. And I don't think the latter is likely to happen.
But I for one am concerned about the trend today to scout and evaluate junior high kids and the practice of offering freshmen and sophomores athletic scholarships. I think it's bad all around for both the coach-school and for the kid and his family.
A kid commits verbally to a coach during his sophomore year in high school. Now he has tons of pressure to prove he is worthy of the offered scholarship. His parents are constantly on him to perform for fear of losing a "ship" worth many thousands. The kid believes he has to score high every game and what that leads to is a selfish player whose team goals are sacrificed for the individual's.
The coach is under pressure to make sure he protects his commitment by being on hand for as many of his games as allowed and in general continue to tell the kid he loves him.
The high school coach is under pressure to develop the kid further in a way that will benefit his future coach.
The only benefit I can see is the college coach gets a jump on his competition, but what happens if the kid turns out to be a "traffic cone" in the words of that sage Byron Larkin?
Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1080 guests
