Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Wisexuowl
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 pm
Contact:

Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby Wisexuowl » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Pont, former Miami and Indiana football coach who dies from cancer yesterdy at his home in Oxford.
He was a great "rival" and a top notch class act.
I rejoiced when he coached the Hoosiers to the Rose Bowl ... remember the punter who kept winnng games by running for first downs instead of punting?
While I haven't seen John in twenty years, I got a bang out of him returning to coaching at Hamilton Public HS, and then starting the football program at Mt St. Joe's.
Why? Because he was a football coach .. giving back to the game.
RIP Johnny!
Mr. Neutral
Posts: 14366
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby Mr. Neutral » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:46 pm

The only confirmed screen name banned for life on Xavier Hoops!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby muskieman » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:23 pm

He had a great life. rip John.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby wkrq59 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:52 am

I knew him and considered him a friend. He was especially fun to cover when he started the Mount football program and then went to Japan to coach. I wrote a story about his escapades in Japan especially with the language, but the story was spiked by an editor who three weeks later sent it to a magazine and collected a fee for it.
Told John about it and it was one of the few times I ever saw him mad. None of his players that I interviewed on numerous occasions ever had a bad word to say about him.

He was especially upset by the deaths of Randy Walker and Terry Hoeppner. He was truly a coach for the ages from the Cradle of Coaches. Requiescat in pace.
Masterofreality
Posts: 979
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby Masterofreality » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:31 pm

Q,

Isn't that plagerism where you could sue and get something out of the story?

Or was it just not worth it enough?
PAY THE MAN!!!!
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby muskieman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Man talk about a low life. Killing your story and then getting paid for your work.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
wkrq59
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:57 am
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby wkrq59 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 am

Muskieman,
What you say is all true. But Jo and I went through a lawsuit and it took so long it damn near killed us both. And I was kind enough three weeks after he pulled that stunt to warn him that what he was about to do to a coworker was illegal and could cost the company and him big bucks. "I can do anything I want," was his reply. One year later he was fired and the paper had to shell out $500,000. He was fired and four others lost their jobs. I found it hard to feel sorry for him, but I did.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 26787
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby muskieman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:28 am

wkrq59 wrote:Muskieman,
What you say is all true. But Jo and I went through a lawsuit and it took so long it damn near killed us both. And I was kind enough three weeks after he pulled that stunt to warn him that what he was about to do to a coworker was illegal and could cost the company and him big bucks. "I can do anything I want," was his reply. One year later he was fired and the paper had to shell out $500,000. He was fired and four others lost their jobs. I found it hard to feel sorry for him, but I did.
Jesus would ask of us always to forgive as we ask those we traspass against. Tough but important for us all to learn.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Pierre Dracot
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Rest in Peace Johnny ...

Postby Pierre Dracot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:47 pm

Pont was a kind and charismatic man whom I admired greatly. My brother played for him at IU from 1969 to 1971; he was a sophomore when Jade Butcher, John Isenbarger, and Harry Gonzo (a.k.a. B-I-G) were seniors. Isenbarger was the punter who, as often as not, it seemed, ran or passed, sometime unsuccessfully. This prompted his mother to send him a telegram, prior to the Arizona game, that read: "Dear John, please punt." He also happened to be a two-time All-American running back. The '69 team, two years removed from the Rose Bowl season, was ranked No. 1 in preseason polls. That was the year of an ill-advised nationwide boycott by black players. Although the team didn't have many black members, some of them were key players. It developed that Pont wasn't able, emotionally, to handle the adversity of having to deal with the boycott. Although IU's black players ended their boycott early in the season, Pont had already lost his cool and, with it, the respect of the players. They hardly won a game all year. They won exactly one game the following year. He was gone from IU a few years later.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1130 guests