St Johns game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: St Johns game thread

Postby X-lucidity » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:35 pm

agree "hops, Odom cannot guard anyone quick, which is surprising. Sorry to harp on this, but you simply CANNOT play right into another team’s known strength and advantage. You can slow a game down a bit without resorting to zone – run some half court sets and look to post up at times. Their zone press is designed to get a few T/O’s and to speed us up. X is not able to win a transition game. I am hopeful of a few halftime adjustments in that direction. Plus playing our top 6, (includes Colby), 70% of this 2nd half. Or I see no chance of a “w”. sad to admit.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm

Freemantle doesn't even attempt to guard anyone.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:01 pm

I hope with their first pick in the draft X gets a true point like Posh. I mean find a transfer point guard. Only have 6 TOs but the pressure is killing X because they cannot get a rhythm. Jones with a bandage over the eye on the bench
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:02 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Freemantle doesn't even attempt to guard anyone.
because when he does he fouls them
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 pm

Twice Kunkel has been out of bounds when he has caught the ball. and he is cold from the three.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Steele sticking to the zone and will not even put a rim protector in after seven dunks, he is officially over his head. Odom can't even sniff the court, so much for Steele's guys.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:09 pm
Steele sticking to the zone and will not even put a rim protector in after seven dunks, he is officially over his head. Odom can't even sniff the court, so much for Steele's guys.
Colby Jones is a Steele guy, Scrugg is a Steele guy, you pick on someone every game that has a bad game and it is all Steele's fault. Isn't it ever a player's fault? Kunkel caught the ball out of bounds twice I guess Steele scripted that.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 pm
I figure Tandy score three points and has given up 7
For every 3 Freee makes, he gives up about 16. JC would struggle on St. X's JV team. Travis Freaking Steele. AAU offense. Chuck up 3s regardless of the game situation. I'm convinced the Zags would have 6 losses now if he coached that team. If our great core of young players wants a chance to develop or even sniff comparable success enjoyed by the X teams coached by his last three predecessors, they better hope X bolts the BE for the Horizon League.
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:17 pm

Muskieman,
You and have known each other for many years. Our respect is mutual. I remember our conversations at Cintas, my fear was that as X lost coaches, one day, they’d make the wrong hire. I think it might have happened, I liken Travis to Dick LeBeau, great assistant, not a head coach. I’m sorry but even at 11-3 soon to be 11-4 this team is hard to watch. It’s not losing but how they lose. No offensive disipline, spotty defense and overall no consistency. Tonight is almost unwatchable. Too much talent to preform like this. As much as I hate to say it, this team’s problem sits in the head coaching chair.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:35 pm
agree "hops, Odom cannot guard anyone quick, which is surprising. Sorry to harp on this, but you simply CANNOT play right into another team’s known strength and advantage. You can slow a game down a bit without resorting to zone – run some half court sets and look to post up at times. Their zone press is designed to get a few T/O’s and to speed us up. X is not able to win a transition game. I am hopeful of a few halftime adjustments in that direction. Plus playing our top 6, (includes Colby), 70% of this 2nd half. Or I see no chance of a “w”. sad to admit.
Adjustments? This ain't 2008.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”